PDA

View Full Version : Limmer boots

ridgewalker777
09-05-2007, 11:36
I thought I'd put in a plug for Limmer boots--I hesitated for a year or so to try/buy the standard model, but have been very pleased with the quality, I even bought them for $100 off because of "cosmetic" issues--stitching was a little off. They offer excellent support for low density feet, and were not that bad in water-logged weather after open air exposure overnight. I don't buy the boot weight to pack weight ratio--I would rather have healthy feet anytime, even if the weight is greater. I have tried the usual high end and low range of boot qualities, including trail runners, and the Limmers are my favorites.

7Sisters
09-05-2007, 11:41
I have a pair as well and absolutely absolutely love them. Best boots I've ever owned and worn.

Footslogger
09-05-2007, 11:42
I thought I'd put in a plug for Limmer boots--I hesitated for a year or so to try/buy the standard model, but have been very pleased with the quality, I even bought them for $100 off because of "cosmetic" issues--stitching was a little off. They offer excellent support for low density feet, and were not that bad in water-logged weather after open air exposure overnight. I don't buy the boot weight to pack weight ratio--I would rather have healthy feet anytime, even if the weight is greater. I have tried the usual high end and low range of boot qualities, including trail runners, and the Limmers are my favorites.

======================================

I don't hike in boots any more but if I did they'd be Limmers. Had the opportunity to tour the shop where they are made in Intervale NH during my thru in 2003. Lotsa luv go into the creation of a Limmer boot !!

'Slogger

Tipi Walter
09-05-2007, 19:53
Possibly the worst boot with the worst customer service ever. I paid about $250 for a pair of lightweights and in 6 weeks the sole welt stitching on both pair ripped apart and left the Vibram sole flapping in the breeze. For a field repair I squirted in a bunch of Barge cement and kept to my backpacking schedule. When I got to a phone I called the Limmer boys and they told me it sounded as if they might have used some UNWAXED welt thread instead of waxed and to send them in. Without the wax the thread would (through constant movement) eventually cut, etc.

I sent them off and they basically told me that since I used the glue it invalidated my "warranty" and so I had to pay $90 thru the mail to get them repaired and back. Here's the kicker: When I got them back and into my first backpacking trip the glued heel portion on one boot CAME APART. Now they sit in a corner and I get steamed just writing about it.

emerald
09-05-2007, 20:21
Buy a pair for yourself and laugh at Pennsylvania's overrated rocks.:D

Owned 2 pairs, each resoled twice. Gave away the 1st pair to a happy new owner because they didn't fit me well anymore.

My custom boots were one of the most valuable trail construction tools I ever owned. :-? Did I really just say that?:o

If I desired to hike the A.T. again, I'd hike with Limmers, custom, standard-weights, and expect to go the whole trail with them.

I believe I read ATC chairman Ray Hunt was buried wearing his.

The Old Fhart
09-05-2007, 20:30
I was at a hiker's wedding a few years ago where about 20 of the people there wore their Limmers The bride had hers on and when they did the garter thingy and you could see her boots, it kind of reminded me of Granny Moses on the Beverly Hillbillies.:D

I bought my first custom pair in 1980 and my second in 1996.

weary
09-05-2007, 21:29
A pair of Limmers with reasonable care will last several thru hikes. I wore a pair for many years. They were off the shelf and not custom made for me, mostly, because I really wear out my boots and quickly need a new pair -- and Limmer typically has a many month waiting period.

But other boots wear well also. I wore a pair of Dexter Hiking boots for half a decade and finally replaced them at Waynesboro, VA, a third of the way through the AT, when the leather on the side cracked from sloppy maintenance (mine).

An MATC friend wore a single pair of Dexters for two thru hikes. Sadly Dexter is now out of business. Too many hikers listened to hype, not quality.

Most quality work boots will last a through hike as Earl Shaffer demonstrated three times. Only modified sneakers need to be replaced two or three times -- or more -- on a thru hike.

Weary

7Sisters
09-05-2007, 21:42
and Limmer typically has a many month waiting period.

ahhhh the days when it was only many month waiting. I waited over 36 monts for mine and when I got mine the wait was over 48 months long.

While there are bad experiences and this is not to take anything away from what Tipi Walter experienced (his experience was his experience), but a wait this long speaks volumes about the quality and product.

Footslogger
09-05-2007, 21:51
If you're thinking about a pair of custom made boots you owe it to yourself to personally visit the Limmer shop in Intervale, NH. Every pair of boots is HAND MADE.

Did I mention that each pair is HAND MADE ??

I'm not saying that boots are right for everyone. I gave up heavy boots in 2003. That said, my visit to the Limmer boot shop and meeting Peter Limmer reaffirmed my belief in "pride".

'Slogger

Sleepy the Arab
09-06-2007, 00:14
I've got two pair, one with 3300 miles in them, the other with 2200 miles. I have found the perfect boot, and I don't think I will ever hike in anything else. The only question is, which pair do I get buried wearing?

7Sisters
09-06-2007, 05:53
Here's the website if anyone for anyone's reference. They are real nice group of people - made the experience for me a great one. Wouldn't have driven up from DE to buy a pair if I didn't think it was great and they weren't great.

http://www.limmerboot.com

Yes I have the custom boot.

mudhead
09-06-2007, 08:38
What was the cost?

What was the turnaround time?

Do they make a separate last?

Jim Bowie
09-06-2007, 10:52
Do you have to pre-pay the entire cost 3-4 years in advance?

7Sisters
09-06-2007, 11:02

You have to put a deposit - think it was $20 to reserve a spot. They traced my foot, collected my money and called me when my time was ready. I would periodically either stop in (when I was in the Whites) or call them to see where I was. I never got the feeling they were disorganized about tracking the deposit - which was reassuring.

The price was pretty steep - I would call them for current prices of custom made as I believe it was around $600(ish). However considering they will last me several thousand miles, that is a cheap cheap cost considering how many boots I would go thru in similar number of miles.

I do realize I'll need to get them resoled, but that's cheap.

This is a long term investment in your feet and a lifestyle change. When I got them I decided I would not get another pair of hiking boots - that means a committment to this style and type, not trying the latest gadget boot every couple years. For me that's ok.

mudhead
09-06-2007, 15:52
What was your turnaround time?

Do they work on volume also, or just a bottom tracing?

I have odd feet, and may have to submit someday...

7Sisters
09-06-2007, 16:29
What was your turnaround time?

Do they work on volume also, or just a bottom tracing?

I have odd feet, and may have to submit someday...

They start with a tracing and examine your foot and let you know if custom is necessary for you.

Once they are ready to build your boot, you HAVE to come to the shop in person so they can take all kinds of measurements. It's pretty in depth.

Roland
09-06-2007, 17:16
What was the cost?

What was the turnaround time?

Do they make a separate last?

The cost for standard custom boots is $610.

The current backlog is 24 months. There have been times when the wait is as much as 48 months. When the wait shortens, orders tend to pile-in quickly, increasing the backlog. When the backlog reaches 3-4 years, new orders slow down, and the wait shortens to where it is now. This cyclic pattern has been going on for generations.

Orders must be accompanied with a $50 deposit (non-refundable). This can be done over the phone. It's not necessary to visit the shop, until just before they are ready to start production. They will contact you, 2-3 months before they start making your boots, to give time to schedule a visit to their shop, for measurements. If you are unable to get yourself to the shop during this period, they will continue to hold your priority spot on the list, for a 50% payment of the balance. This second deposit is refundable, if you decide to cancel your order.

Limmer boots have been on most significant peaks of the world. Photos, sent to the shop by customers, provide a nice visual display of this. Nimblewill Nomad wore a pair of Limmers from Key West to Gaspe (more than 4000 miles).

peakbagger
09-07-2007, 17:16
Theres a bit of confusion on Limmers. Only the custom boots are made in their shop. The "stock" boots including the standards, midweights and lightweights are made in Europe in a factory.

ATBob
09-08-2007, 12:54
Bought my pair in 1976 and have lots of wear, from hiking to hunting. Resoled once and covered the NH 4000's, Philmont, and many many day hikes.
Trying to breal into light weights, but the feet are taking a beating. Just don't know if I can give up the Limmers.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-08-2007, 13:04
Possibly the worst boot with the worst customer service ever. I paid about $250 for a pair of lightweights and in 6 weeks the sole welt stitching on both pair ripped apart and left the Vibram sole flapping in the breeze. For a field repair I squirted in a bunch of Barge cement and kept to my backpacking schedule. When I got to a phone I called the Limmer boys and they told me it sounded as if they might have used some UNWAXED welt thread instead of waxed and to send them in. Without the wax the thread would (through constant movement) eventually cut, etc.

I sent them off and they basically told me that since I used the glue it invalidated my "warranty" and so I had to pay $90 thru the mail to get them repaired and back. Here's the kicker: When I got them back and into my first backpacking trip the glued heel portion on one boot CAME APART. Now they sit in a corner and I get steamed just writing about it.

Darn that's like hearing motherhood and apple pie aren't up to snuff either.

Sleepy the Arab
09-08-2007, 13:24
Theres a bit of confusion on Limmers. Only the custom boots are made in their shop. The "stock" boots including the standards, midweights and lightweights are made in Europe in a factory.

A very good point. You really only need customs if you have oddly shaped feet such as having really high arches or seven toes on one foot (like Baltimore Jack). It's also worth noting that the stock boots are made to Limmer's specific designs and will run you a little over $300 - half the custom price.

wincheck
09-08-2007, 18:51
I bought a pair last year and took them on a some dayhikes - spent a few months breaking them in and then took them to the Whites this past June. A major gripe - they didn't breathe. Sweat got stuck in there and then when it rained (and boy did it rain) my feet got soaked. I don't think the welt kept the water out when I crosses streams either. Anyone else have this problem?

My pair is the German-made lightweights.

Tipi Walter
09-08-2007, 19:30
I bought a pair last year and took them on a some dayhikes - spent a few months breaking them in and then took them to the Whites this past June. A major gripe - they didn't breathe. Sweat got stuck in there and then when it rained (and boy did it rain) my feet got soaked. I don't think the welt kept the water out when I crosses streams either. Anyone else have this problem?

My pair is the German-made lightweights.

Yeah, no matter how much Limmer boot grease I put on them it wouldn't take long before my feet were wet. When saturated these boots were heavy! And in freezing conditions these boots(like all leather boots)stayed wet for a long time.

mudhead
09-15-2007, 19:48
Thanks for the info Roland.

A heads up: If you have two different sized feet, needing different lasts, it costs extra.

I should have done this ten years ago. The wait was much longer the last time I checked. Thanks again R.

Roland
09-15-2007, 19:53
You're welcome, mudhead.

Pete, Ken and Carl are great guys to work with. If you visited their shop, they probably told you the building is for sale, and they will move if/when it sells. Although this may result in some restructuring of the business, Limmer Boot will continue as a custom boot maker, in the Mt. Washington Valley.

mudhead
09-15-2007, 20:02
So I got this pair of "damn these are heavy," boots. Don't feel anywhere near as heavy on my feet.

I have the break in instructions. I do about that same drill anyway.

I would love to hear breakin info from some that have the off the shelf standards.

I like the "wear them inside until you decide to commit." Like you are gonna get them back. Ha.

I spend money about once in 50-60 blue moons, and I really like to feel good about it afterward.

It was really nice.

Humor me. Let me know how/what you went thru getting these things softened up. (Favorite picture? Mine was in the SE corner, red plaid wool jacket. Old school. Happy.)

Lyle
09-15-2007, 21:05
The problem I have heard about with Limmers is that they are custom fitted to your feet prior to your long hike. Most people find that their foot changes size significantly while hiking, so the Limmers tend to fit less well a couple of months into a hike. Not my personal experience, but I had friends who ended up sending their Limmers home and replacing them with off the shelf boots. Guess it would depend on how much your foot changed during your hike.

MaverickNH
12-30-2007, 11:52
I just picked up a pair of Limmer Standards at the Intervale, NH shop the week before XMAS. Ken was there and he spent an hour fitting me and talking about boots, leather and beer. I had been wearing 10-1/2 Wide boots for years but he put me in their 9-1/2 Medium boots.

While I've only had a few indoor hours on them, I think they might fit just right. The 9-1/2 hold my foot snug with room at the front toe when pushing forward to simulate downhill. The Medium actually hold my foot from spreading out too far and pushing the metatarsal heads down too hard.

I'm itching to get them outside as I won't be able to start much break-in wearing them indoors. There's not much walking at work and laps at the mall cause mental anguish - I'm not a mall sort of guy. But I'm hesitant as I'd hate to find out they weren't right for me and be stuck with them.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2007, 11:54
looks like a good motorcycle boot. not good for hiking really

mudhead
12-30-2007, 12:08
Kicka** for stomping on a shovel.

And sharp pointy, fragmented rocks.

Heavy as a beast. Might improve my look from the back.

minnesotasmith
12-30-2007, 13:23
Aren't really custom-made anymore, that they just get sizes and shapes picked out of already-existing patterns. What is the truth on that?

rafe
12-30-2007, 13:28
There was a time when folks assumed that heavy leather boots were the way to go for hiking the AT. I dare say, that sort of thinking comes from the Ed Garvey days. A lot has changed, and IMO, for the better. Think light.

max patch
12-30-2007, 13:35
Aren't really custom-made anymore, that they just get sizes and shapes picked out of already-existing patterns. What is the truth on that?

They have both.

emerald
12-30-2007, 13:39
There was a time when folks assumed that heavy leather boots were the way to go for hiking the AT. I dare say, that sort of thinking comes from the Ed Garvey days. A lot has changed, and IMO, for the better. Think light.

Fads come and go. Some ideas and the people who promote them never go out-of-style.

Pedaling Fool
12-30-2007, 14:00
They have both.
This is true, I was up there in late 2005 for my verification measurements, got them early 2006. Have over 3,000 miles on them and many more miles left. Like someone else has already said, customs are not really necessary unless you have some weird feet issues, mine were a gift. They are heavy, kind of like putting on those ankle-weights, good workout:D
http://www.limmerboot.com/#

Tinker
12-30-2007, 15:56
Mine, purchased in 1991, have been sitting in my closet for the past 10 years, either awaiting resoling and new eyelets, or the trash can.
When I first got them, the break-in (50 miles on the Long Trail) turned my heels into hamburger (now, these were custom fitted Limmers). Turns out that I had not broken them in adequately before hiking 5 days out in a row (two of them very wet). I finished the hike (the last 30 miles) in an old pair of running shoes I carried as camp shoes.
Once I got them broken in later, they became my only hiking boot until 1997, when the soles got too slick to be reliable, and the lightweight low-top craze was in full swing. I switched to lightweight high tops, then low tops, then trail runners, now sandals in warm weather (all this as my pack got lighter and lighter).
I have a knee issue, due to getting hit by a car, leaving the knee joint slightly loose. I found that the weight of my custom Limmers pulled my knee joint apart when I lifted them (actually, just the left one), leaving the joint vulnerable to misalignment when re-weighting it again. This I didn't realize until I noticed the lack of pain in my left knee when using lighter footwear.
I used to call my Limmers my "Six pound slippers", they were that comfortable, but have a hard time committing to a heavy boot since going lightweight.
Fwiw, the boots, excepting for the soles and lacing hooks, could probably go another 600 - 800 miles (approx. what they have on them now).
Well made!

Tinker
12-30-2007, 16:01
The problem I have heard about with Limmers is that they are custom fitted to your feet prior to your long hike. Most people find that their foot changes size significantly while hiking, so the Limmers tend to fit less well a couple of months into a hike. Not my personal experience, but I had friends who ended up sending their Limmers home and replacing them with off the shelf boots. Guess it would depend on how much your foot changed during your hike.

A very good point. If planning on a long hike, and you don't spend your work day on your feet (when I bought mine, I did - I was landscaping), It might not be a bad idea to get fitted the last day of a multiday hike (go to NH, hike the length of the Whites, then go in for a fitting). Yeah, right! Like you really have the tme to do that!:D

mudhead
12-30-2007, 18:30
got them early 2006. Have over 3,000 miles on them and many more miles left. http://www.limmerboot.com/#
Have you had them resoled? Or any other work done?

Once I got them broken in later, they became my only hiking boot until 1997, when the soles got too slick to be reliable,Fwiw, the boots, excepting for the soles and lacing hooks, could probably go another 600 - 800 miles (approx. what they have on them now).
Well made!

Did I read this right, you wore the sole down with 6-800 miles?

Even on granite, I need better than that. Please clue me in.

Pedaling Fool
12-30-2007, 18:49
No, not yet, but I'll check again them after this year's hike from Springer to Harpers Ferry.
CORRECTION: I don't have over 3,000 miles on them yet, but I will after this year's hike. Right now I got about 2,500.

emerald
12-30-2007, 19:12
mudhead, just as with tires on a car YMMV. I have a bad habit of dragging my heels and wear them out prematurely.

When you choose to resole your boots depends to some extent upon what kind of surface they saw, how you walk, how durable a material from which they're constructed, how much tread you have when new, how much wear you find acceptable and no doubt many other factors.

I really don't know what's reasonable wear to expect between pits for new rubber. Somewhere in the 1000-2000 mile range? Remember, better quality boots can be resoled.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn more than just a few hikers have hiked the entire A.T. on a single pair of Limmers without resoling them. That might even be normal.

mudhead
12-30-2007, 20:40
Surface and gait would indeed factor in, I just need more than 800 miles to a resole. 2500 would be almost as good as 3K. Thanks for the reassurance.
Not going to baby them, just to avoid a resole job. $80+-
I really like being able to walk accross roots, instead of tiptoeing(?) through.

I have tried to use up similar Vibram sole in the past, and some other part of the boot has gone bad before I have been able to fully use it up.

Time will tell.

weary
12-30-2007, 20:41
No, not yet, but I'll check again them after this year's hike from Springer to Harpers Ferry.
CORRECTION: I don't have over 3,000 miles on them yet, but I will after this year's hike. Right now I got about 2,500.
Limmers are good for many thousands of miles. But like all durable boots the soles need to be replaced every couple of thousand miles or so. It's basically a compromise -- one can buy four pairs of $100+ sneakers to hike the trail, or one can buy a single pair of sturdy boots and have them go the entire distance, and remain useable for everyday walking and work indefinitely.

Society has mostly chosen four pairs of sneakers as the answer. But that doesn't mean that people on a budget shouldn't make a different choice. The trade off is obvious. Extra weight on your feet means more sweat, fewer miles per day for the same energy expenditure, a few more days on a thru hike.

Limmers are a guaranteed solution. They have been around for many decades. Thousands of White Mountain hiker demands, then and now, have resulted in multimonth delays. Order custom Limmers today. Expect delivery many months hence.

But there are other solutions. LL Bean occasionally offers sturdy boots. I just bought a pair of their long discontinued "engineers" boot at one of their factory stores. Someone apparently returned them without ever using them. I expect they will last as long as i will. I certainly wouldn't be hesitant about starting again at Springer and walking home in them. Not bad at $75.

There are others. Mostly workmen's boots. I won't go into how to decide which. Few, I suspect, really care. But Colin Fletcher's multiple editions of his gear books provide all the details you need.

I used to recommend Dexter boots. But they have gone out of business. They made the mistake of not selling throw-away sneakers.

Weary

max patch
12-30-2007, 20:57
There are others. Mostly workmen's boots. I won't go into how to decide which. Few, I suspect, really care. But Colin Fletcher's multiple editions of his gear books provide all the details you need.

Weary

My vibram soled boots had had it when I reached Hanover (they had seen plenty of use before my thru). I remember calling my wife and having her mail me a replacement pair of boots somewhere to me in NH. I finished in those. A pair of $19.95 JC Penny work boots that I used to wear when I cut the grass. They did just fine.

Sleepy the Arab
12-31-2007, 00:11
I wouldn't be surprised to learn more than just a few hikers have hiked the entire A.T. on a single pair of Limmers without resoling them. That might even be normal.

I average about 1500 miles before the boots need to be resoled, and most times it's because the sole started to separate from the boot.

Although, thinking about this further, that statement doesn't quite fit. I have two pairs of Limmers, one resoled after 1900 miles, the other after about 900 (though it was only a preventative measure and could have gone farther). Since then, neither pair had needed resoling and both have each put an additional 1100 miles and 1500 miles (respectively).

I suppose I could test whether the boots could go the whole distance without repairs...if I could summon the will to go thruhiking again.

MaverickNH
01-01-2008, 17:51

I guess I've shredded too many light boots (Merrill, Danner, LLBean, etc)over the last 15 years, since my old, heavy leather Vasque boots finally gave out, to keep up the faith. I'm a steady but reasonably swift hiker who steps aside for the trail-runners and ultra-light hikers. Most don't turn down a few tidbits and luxuries offerred from my heavy pack when we meet at shelters. A few snobbish sorts sit apart so as to not contaminate their lightness, but the majority are just light, fast and nice folks too.

I guess I just feel more stable with substantial boots on my feet. The Limmer Standards are indeed a work of art on the cobblery

Tinker
01-01-2008, 20:06

Did I read this right, you wore the sole down with 6-800 miles?

Even on granite, I need better than that. Please clue me in.

Probably closer to 800 miles, the White Mountains (multiple trails) and Maine (mostly the AT).

The soles have, in actuality, about 400 miles left on them before they are bald. Having hiked in lighter footwear was more of a reason to abandon the Limmers than sole wear (Vibram makes them anyway, not Limmer).
I also weigh over 200 lbs. and used to carry a weekend pack with upwards of 35 lbs. A week would see me carrying 45+ lbs.
Btw, even way back in 1991, Limmer was getting the uppers presewn from Bavaria. They just finished the stitching on the inseam after they custom shaped a last from your foot measurements, then attached them to the insole, added the outsole, and stitched and glued the sole to that.
Still custom (if you went in for the fit).