PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Hiking

MedicineMan
11-05-2003, 03:14
La Aqua Na and I did many hikes in New Zealand this September....dont need to waste much bandwith discussing details but if any member here has interest/questions about NZ, dont hesitate to PM me...just noticed we have a section for things other than the AT and wanted to mention this.
SimMM

MadAussieInLondon
11-05-2003, 04:46
aaaah Aotearoa, land of the long white cloud... when i eventually get back to australia i plan on hitting stewart island and doing some of the south island... (as well as all the cool long bushwalks in australia!!)

did you journal any of your NZ bushwalks online??

Kerosene
11-05-2003, 09:37
We're thinking of heading down to NZ in 3-4 years, hopefully for 2-3 weeks, and I'm trying to convince my wife to spend some time hiking. Can anyone recommend a section of easy-yet-scenic trail that my family could cover in 2 to 5 days? Also, what time of year would you recommend, both to hike and sightsee?

stranger
11-06-2003, 20:00
I am based in Wellington if anyone needs some help getting their plans together, email me at [email protected].

MedicineMan
11-06-2003, 22:43
Time of year: we chose Sept to defeat crowds and bugs, it was the beginning of Spring so we had a mix of weather-from laying on the sunny beach while paddling at Abel Tasman to wearing everything we had at Franz Joseph Glazier. For easier hiking looks towards Stewart Island and the Rakuira Track...we did it as a two day hike when the guide suggested 3 days...but know that the entire country is geared toward 'tramping' and there will be hiking of all levels everywhere you go...we learned that many jewels are hidden near the 'major' tracts and that these little hikes can take anywhere from an hour to a whole day...it is hard to go wrong in NZ..