PDA

View Full Version : Hostels along the AT with Prices

Jeff
11-05-2003, 10:09
This is nice, comprehensive list of hostels along the AT. http://www.hikerhostel.com/hostels/

Skyline
11-05-2003, 10:24
Good start, but incomplete. How could they leave out Miss Janet in Erwin, Rusty's south of Waynesboro, or Terrapin Station near Front Royal? I'll bet there are more.

Lone Wolf
11-05-2003, 10:26
Yup. It's an outdated list.

Joel Rash
11-05-2003, 15:36
Looks like these folks hiked in 2000, so maybe the information is what they collected on their hike. Instead of just griping about it being out-of-date, folks with new info should drop them an e-mail with corrections. Looks like a neat comprehensive service they are starting up next year. Joel

A-Train
11-05-2003, 15:39
the majority of those prices are wrong as well

Jack Tarlin
11-05-2003, 15:47
Information like this is only useful if it is complete, and more to the point, as long as it is contemporary and accurate. In addition to omitting a great many fine establishments, this list also contains several that have actually been gone for years. The prices, in many cases, are incorrect as well, many of them having increased. This is nobody's fault.....this is simply old data and is therefore suspect as far as completeness and reliability.

Your best resource for Hostel locations and prices will be found in either the 2004 Thru-Hiker's Companion, or the 2004 Thru-Hiker's Handbook. Both of these books should be available by the end of January.

Lastly, as far as prices are concerned, be aware that info for the various Thru-hiker Guides and Handbooks is compiled and "fact-checked" in the fall; in many cases, hikers arrive at these places MONTHS later, so be aware that information in these books, especiallys as regards to prices, is subject to change. Don't be surprised if you get to a place and find that what it offers and the cost, might be somewhat different than what you expected. When I travel, whether it's on the Trail, across the country, or overseas, I ALWAYS assume that some prices will be different from what books and guides have led me to believe, and I therefore budget an extra 10-15% for lodging costs and unexpected surprises. This is probably not a bad idea on the Trail.

Almanac
11-06-2003, 08:02
Profile and I had planned to update the list according to the 2004 Thru-Hikers Companion when it becomes available, but it seems we need to start making changes now. If anyone has information regarding hostels that is not available in the 2003 Companion, feel free to email me with it. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Almanac