PDA

View Full Version : Water situation from Harpers Ferry south.

Earl Grey
09-06-2007, 17:46
With the drought in the south what is the water like on the southern half of the trail? I plan to start the rest of my flip flop next week and would like to know ahead of time if im gonna get dehydrated or not.

gumball
09-06-2007, 18:09
There are several threads floating around on WB right now. Was doing a 100 mile-ish stretch just last week between Pearisburg and Daleville VA and water sources were not the greatest. Humped in extra, as the temperatures were also very high.

Lauriep
09-06-2007, 18:19
Blackmath,

Water conditions along the A.T. in northern Virginia are abnormally dry. Right now we would advise you to collect water from streams, instead of relying on springs at shelters that may be dry. You may also be able to find water if you go downstream from a dry spring.

Here is what we know about water sources in northern Virginia, listed from north to south. Information comes from hikers, PATC volunteers and their ridgerunner for the area, and local hostelkeepers:

David Lesser Shelter – If first spring dry, continue further downhill
Blackburn Trail Center – Water available from well
Sand Spring -- Dry, but water may be found downstream
Bears Den Trail Center – Spigot water
Sam Moore Shelter – Spring running
Mill Stream -- Substantial flow a couple of weeks ago
Bolden Hollow Stream (2 miles south of VA 605) - Flowing
Stream 1 mile north of Rod Hollow -- Flowing
Rod Hollow Shelter spring – Dry.
Spring 1 mile north of Dick’s Dome – Probably good but may be hard to find
Dick’s Dome Shelter – Stream dry/almost dry
Manassas Gap Shelter – Spring flowing
Jim & Molly Denton Shelter – Spring dwindling, may be dry
Tom Floyd Wayside/Ginger Spring – Spring dwindling, may be dry, beware of yellow jackets

The last report from Shenandoah indicated water sources were okay, and even if they start to dwindle you can rely on developed water sources in the park.

There is a fire ban in place along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

For information as you head south beyond this point, go to our updates page at http://www.appalachiantrail.org/updates.

Also, make sure you are prepared for hunting season. Hunting is allowed in U.S. Forest Service lands that you will be hiking through much of the way from central Virginia south to Springer. Make sure that you are wearing blaze orange that is visible from 360 degrees as well as above. There was a recent report of what appeared to be illegal hunting activity on the A.T. in the G. Richard Thompson Wildlife management area, about 35-40 miles south of Harpers Ferry.

Laurie Potteiger
ATC Info Services Manager
Harpers Ferry, WV
[email protected]

High Life
09-06-2007, 19:11
im flipping as well , guns and droughts scare me as well as yellowjackets
and illeagal hunters can suck it !

Earl Grey
09-06-2007, 19:53
Thanks for the detailed reply. I may end up taking the water filter in order to get water from puddles etc. :(

ChimneySpring
09-07-2007, 15:07
You would be advised to treat your water this time of year anywhere along the rollercoaster due to the dry conditions.... spring or no spring. Bacteria levels have been high in the creeks throughout NoVa this summer, and our rains have been heavy when they have come, causing a lot of runoff.

Also, there was a dead deer laying in the creek just upstream of the Sam Moore Shelter for about 8 months earlier this year. Granted, it's gone now (I have the skull and small antlers to prove it), but they have a tendency to seek water when they expire and I would guess the heat may have gotten to a couple of this year's fawns. So check your water source through here thoroughly and treat it.

Let's not overreact to a "report" of illegal hunting in GRT. There are a number of species that are in season year round, and fraknly this would be the stupidest and least convenient time of year for anyone to poach.

Fat Man Walking
09-07-2007, 23:24
The spring at Bobblett's Gap is dry.

Spring at Wilson Creek Shelter was all but dry. Found a small pool of water and was able to get the night's water but, there was no real moving water there.

Cystern at Fullerhardt Knob Shelter was not flowing either.

As for the South part of the Shennies, there was good water at Calf Mountain Shelter.

Blackrock Hut spring was a trickle. But, it was dripping enough to get what you need.

Word from Ridge Runner in Shennies was that water was available at throughout the park other than Blackrock Hut and one other shelter in the North part of the park (the name escapes me at the moment).

All in all, a dry time in the Blue Ridge right now.

Peace and Good Hiking.

excuses
09-07-2007, 23:57
Hiked last weekend Hogspen south (Georgia) and the water was still in most creeks but not anywhere else. Met a few hikers looking for water. Shared a little. Remember to always filter the water. Also fill up any time you can.