PDA

View Full Version : Backpacker Magazine

Mother Natures Son
09-06-2007, 19:15
Did anyone notice in the current issue of Backpacking that they were sold and moved the whole thing to Boulder, Colorado? I hope the mile high state helps the magazine be even better then it is now. How does this group feel about this?

Mother Natures Son:banana :banana :banana :banana

7Sisters
09-06-2007, 19:32
Over the years, Backpacker has really lost it's appeal to me. I used to love the magezine, but stopped subscribing to it and really don't find it hitting the mark for me in the areas I find appealing.

From that perspective, it really doesn't matter where they are located. They seem to have lost their way in my eyes. I used to look forward to learning about gear and about specific ways to improve some of my skills. I find them very general in their advice and reviews and not real substantative.

Cuffs
09-06-2007, 19:51
MNS, as an infrequent reader of BP'er Mag, can you tell me the previous info on them? I dont know where they were based...

I do know that if a magazine is named "Backpacker" you'd think they would have mostly info on say something like backpacking... Just a thought~

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-06-2007, 19:54
Dropped my subscription years ago bcause it hasn't been about backpacking for some time. However, I heard they ran an excellent article about global warming recntly. Maybe they are getting better.

7Sisters
09-06-2007, 20:02
Backpacker Mag was based in Emmaus PA - near the Poconos

TinAbbey
09-06-2007, 20:16
emmaus is near the poconos?

TinAbbey
09-06-2007, 20:17
disregard that above

wrongway_08
09-06-2007, 20:20
The issue on warming was good but otherwise I never got too much into them, lots of photos and ads for gear. Seemed to me they wrote the same articles over and over, about 4 months apart - just from different angles and view points.
Hope this will put some better info into the mags, my sub runs out in 3 months, if nothing gets better, thatll be my last issue.

Cuffs
09-06-2007, 20:24
I especially like the clothing guides!! Usually all cotton, no bigger than a few squares of fabric sewn together, worn by 20-somethings that weigh 90#, at the beach (backpacking?), are clean and probably April-fresh. Thats not ANY hiker Ive ever known!!

fehchet
09-06-2007, 20:28
I like the magazine and always have. Something nice to see in the post box 10 times year.

Dr O
09-06-2007, 20:29
I especially like the clothing guides!! Usually all cotton, no bigger than a few squares of fabric sewn together, worn by 20-somethings that weigh 90#, at the beach (backpacking?), are clean and probably April-fresh. Thats not ANY hiker Ive ever known!!

/me subscribes :p

WalkingStick75
09-06-2007, 21:19
I started my subscription with BP with their first issue this is when they had full page glossy photographs. They are really nice. Went several years without a subscribing and now back to being without again. They just don't hold my interest. With that being said, I hope the new owners/location will improve the magazine.

Toolshed
09-06-2007, 21:57
emmaus is near the poconos?
It's all relative. I guess if you live in Wilmington, Emmaus is near the Poconos. If you live within 10 miles of Emmaus, Emmaus is quite a bit away from the Poconos. :D

I have the first 40 issues lying around somewhere. There were well written then (late 60's IIRC) little advertiser content. It seems like things changed in the late 90's everything went to that snippet style format for folks with short attention spans. Ads became full page and more broadly focused (GMC, Ford, Honda). I liked the magazine from the late 70's until about 94. I still get it and I still save all my issues (Except the last one which I stapled to a tree in the woods and shot full of holes during pistol target practice... Lol... Didn't see any squirrels that day).
now it;s just a rag for people who want to be "outdoorish" and "stylish". A friend of mine runs a commercial outfitting enterprise and he once said "The people that want to get outdoors will do it regardless of what clothing and gear they have. Those that want to be noticed outdoors will always dress as such." It always stuck with me. That's the crowd I see BP catering to nowadays.

humunuku
09-06-2007, 21:58
So the question is, what magazines do backpackers get?

RedneckRye
09-06-2007, 22:05
I don't have the Global Warming issue in front of me, but I'm guessing that Ma Nature's Kid is making something up about BP'ers move to the Republic of Boulder.
For my money, the best magazine out there is Mountain Gazette. It is even free if you live out on the mountain west, $20 a year gets it shipped out here to the mountainless midwest.

bulldog49
09-06-2007, 22:35
Dropped my subscription years ago bcause it hasn't been about backpacking for some time. However, I heard they ran an excellent article about global warming recntly. Maybe they are getting better.

Articles like that are why I dropped my subscription. Don't see that as an improvement.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-06-2007, 22:37
So the question is, what magazines do backpackers get?Campmor, REI, and several other outfitter catalogs :D
Articles like that are why I dropped my subscription. Don't see that as an improvement.To each his own.

Jester2000
09-06-2007, 22:43
Does anyone who no longer likes the magazine consider that it might not be that the magazine has changed as much as you have? Yeah, I know -- there are cosmetic changes and certainly more advertising (sucks to be successful, I know). But isn't it possible that you've outgrown the magazine? That, at a certain point, the things that interested you then (and still interest many with less experience than you) were no longer needed by you?

Just sayin'.

hopefulhiker
09-06-2007, 22:59
A long time ago I liked BP magazine, but a few years I tried some of the gear that they recommended and did not like it. It got too commercial or something.. I missed the one about global warming. I learned more from this site and other places on the internet...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-06-2007, 23:10
Does anyone who no longer likes the magazine consider that it might not be that the magazine has changed as much as you have? Yeah, I know -- there are cosmetic changes and certainly more advertising (sucks to be successful, I know). But isn't it possible that you've outgrown the magazine? That, at a certain point, the things that interested you then (and still interest many with less experience than you) were no longer needed by you?

Just sayin'.Jester, I usually agree with you, but not this time. The magazine was on the cutting edge of what was new and what worked for backpacking several decades ago. Now it is all about North Face and LL Bean and SUVs and ATVs. The recommendations seem to be for sale - they endorse products that are panned by other backpacking sources and nearly totally ignore items that are commonplace among today's backpackers - like alcohol stoves, tarptents and hammocks.

Yes, I've changed because backpacking has changed -- and I expect a backpacking magazine to keep up with those changes if it wants to keep my interest.

Skidsteer
09-06-2007, 23:17
Jester, I usually agree with you, but not this time. The magazine was on the cutting edge of what was new and what worked for backpacking several decades ago. Now it is all about North Face and LL Bean and SUVs and ATVs. The recommendations seem to be for sale - they endorse products that are panned by other backpacking sources and nearly totally ignore items that are commonplace among today's backpackers - like alcohol stoves, tarptents and hammocks.

Yes, I've changed because backpacking has changed -- and I expect a backpacking magazine to keep up with those changes if it wants to keep my interest.

Yep. Most of the objections I've seen can be distilled to, "They've whored themselves out to the high bidders".

Jester2000
09-06-2007, 23:33
Jester, I usually agree with you, but not this time. The magazine was on the cutting edge of what was new and what worked for backpacking several decades ago. . .[they] nearly totally ignore items that are commonplace among today's backpackers - like alcohol stoves, tarptents and hammocks.

Well, I think you're making my point. They were cutting edge when you knew less. I have friends that go backpacking occasionally, for weekends or at the absolute most a five day trip. It would never occur to them to make an alcohol stove. And in fact, if your target audience as a national magazine is people who use alcohol stoves and tarps and hammocks, well you wouldn't have to worry about lots of SUV ads because your magazine would go out of business after two issues. What I'm trying to say is -- you're special. So special that a general interest national magazine cannot possibly cater to what you do and who you are.

Yep. Most of the objections I've seen can be distilled to, "They've whored themselves out to the high bidders".

Where are these "highest bidders" I always hear about, and how can I get in touch with them. For, you know, some whoring.

Skidsteer
09-06-2007, 23:42
Where are these "highest bidders" I always hear about, and how can I get in touch with them. For, you know, some whoring.

Denver and St. Paul would be good places to start. :D

Appalachian Tater
09-06-2007, 23:44
"They've whored themselves out to the high bidders".

That's usually the best way to go when you're whoring yourself out unless you think one of the lower bidders is going to give you a really good tip.

Jim Adams
09-06-2007, 23:47
Although I no longer consider BP'er cutting edge, I also do not consider alcohol stoves, hammocks and tarptents cutting edge. There is better everywhere. I agree with Jester2000, I think that most of the hikers on WB are already schooled more than most of BP'ers readers, IMO.

geek

Toolshed
09-06-2007, 23:50

Just sayin'.
Jester,
I made that same point about 2 years ago during one of the BP thread surfacings, but I think I have changed my opinion even since, as it isn't so much about skills as it is about what products are available in the market place as well as the ever recycled "places to visit". Yes there is still value for those who are new, but I feel the "core focus" of the magazine has also changed to marketing and gloss.

Jester2000
09-06-2007, 23:59
Jester,
I made that same point about 2 years ago during one of the BP thread surfacings, but I think I have changed my opinion even since, as it isn't so much about skills as it is about what products are available in the market place as well as the ever recycled "places to visit". Yes there is still value for those who are new, but I feel the "core focus" of the magazine has also changed to marketing and gloss.

You might be right, but I have a feeling that 2 years from now another BP thread will start up, wherein someone will complain that a couple of years ago it was good, but has now gone downhill. And the good times will have been now, and the magazine will have to have gotten so glossy that when you look deeply into it you can see your future self a couple of years from now complaining about how Budweiser is using beer can stoves in its advertising.

mweinstone
09-07-2007, 01:04
the magazine is good for hiking because they exist. all you have to do in my opinion, is have anything to do with hiking, and your a good thing. as corny, as wrong, as hated as it is. its still about hiking.so its all good. love thy magazine as you love thy brother.

camojack
09-07-2007, 04:01
the magazine is good for hiking because they exist. all you have to do in my opinion, is have anything to do with hiking, and your a good thing. as corny, as wrong, as hated as it is. its still about hiking.so its all good. love thy magazine as you love thy brother.

WOW! Every word spelt correctly. :D
(Wrong use of "your", though.:eek: )

Love you, brother!!!
(In a manly way...)

Tipi Walter
09-07-2007, 08:41
BP magazine has an issue on global warming and a full page ad showing the dashboard of a Chevy Tahoe under a backdrop of 6 large hemlocks and above this is a quote from Henry David Thoreau: "The universe is wider than our views of it." The small print below says "EPA estimated 14 city/20 hiway" as in miles per gallon.

Who signed off on this ironic pap? The green trees reminds readers of eco-consciousness, but a Chevy Tahoe? And 14 miles per gallon??

The magazine has become a slick tourism brochure and its articles never speak to my life as a backpacker in the woods. Of course, with Whiteblaze and Trail Journals we don't need the magazine, but it'd be nice to have something in zine form with less on the glossy Hot Spots of outdoor hiking and more on the simple mechanics and motivations of hardcore backpackers. End O' Screed.

Gray Blazer
09-07-2007, 08:55
WOW! Every word spelt correctly. :D
(Wrong use of "your", though.:eek: )

Love you, brother!!!
(In a manly way...)

He still hasn't discovered the shift key (or maybe he's not a capitalist). :banana

Johnny Thunder
09-07-2007, 08:59
He still hasn't discovered the shift key (or maybe he's not a capitalist). :banana

matthewski iz nott a capitulist.

Johnny

Overpass
09-07-2007, 09:23
What's up with the BP team hogging prime tent space at Trail Days? Y'know, one person gets there and stakes out a huge "reserved" are with stakes and ugly bright orange plastic tape?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-07-2007, 09:26
BP contributes some major $$$ toward the expense of hosting TD to the town of Damascus. That is the reason they get the prime real estate in the tent city.

Footslogger
09-07-2007, 09:28

======================================

I did the same thing. Like most, if not all of the outdoor magazines ...it became more about advertising and less about the outdoors. Too bad the magazines are so dependant on advertising $$$

Pretty hard to read gear/clothing reviews in which darn near every product is given a high rating.

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-07-2007, 09:38
Well, I think you're making my point. They were cutting edge when you knew less. I have friends that go backpacking occasionally, for weekends or at the absolute most a five day trip. It would never occur to them to make an alcohol stove. And in fact, if your target audience as a national magazine is people who use alcohol stoves and tarps and hammocks, well you wouldn't have to worry about lots of SUV ads because your magazine would go out of business after two issues. What I'm trying to say is -- you're special. So special that a general interest national magazine cannot possibly cater to what you do and who you are......Where are these "highest bidders" I always hear about, and how can I get in touch with them. For, you know, some whoring.You must present a current wenching certificate before we can honor the request in your last sentence. :D

I agree that an entire magazine for really knowledgeable backpackers wouldn't fly, but I do think BP could devote a couple of pages to the cottage industry and cutting edge products. Just sayin'

Although I no longer consider BP'er cutting edge, I also do not consider alcohol stoves, hammocks and tarptents cutting edge. There is better everywhere. I was using those as the commonplace items - not the cutting edge. My point was that BP is still touting Eureka and The North Face for backpacking and much better options are being ignored.

Skids caught the jest of my thoughts - now has anyone checked to make sure their corporate wenching license is up-to-date? :D

Skidsteer
09-07-2007, 09:44
======================================
Pretty hard to read gear/clothing reviews in which darn near every product is given a high rating.

'Slogger

Another good point. Seems like honest gear testers would inevitably run across a POS from time to time.

T-Dubs
09-07-2007, 09:46

'Slogger

I checked out the 'Gear Guide' issue from our library and decided that magazine was not for me any more. Not so much due to the advertising or the 'USA Today' format. It was the text and type. Very small red print on a blue background is illegible to me, even with my reading glasses. "If I have to work this hard, it aint worth it!" Very youth oriented as it would take young eyes to see it.

I suppose they can just as easily cater to the youth with disposable income rather than us retirees with disposable income.

Tom

Johnny Thunder
09-07-2007, 09:53
My point was that BP is still touting Eureka and The North Face for backpacking and much better options are being ignored.

Skids caught the jest of my thoughts - now has anyone checked to make sure their corporate wenching license is up-to-date? :D

FD,

Again, I think you're touching on Jester's point. Raise your hand if you have a Solitaire or Ridgeline collecting dust in the 'ol gear shed...groan. Check and check. Remember that this cottage industry stuff can be expensive and the majority of people purusing the magazine are more likely heading to places like Campmor over Henry Shire's site. This is also illustrated in their gear reviews...I remember reading a review on single walled tents where they gave the Black Diamonds a major nod. But, they also made sure to point out the price. When it comes to the specialized gear, uneducated consumers are few and far between....there's just a smaller market. Look at this site. When someone brings up a $500 jacket seems like everyone's got holes and elbows. Plain and simple BPmag's target audience isn't and won't be you. There just aren't enough of you to educate (and in doing so sell you a magazine or two).

Now, on to the corporate whorage. I'm doin' it right now. In fact while typing this I think I just got a guy a job (my day job). In the words of the Scientological Bard:

"Don't tell your right hand, baby/what your left hand do"

Johnny

Footslogger
09-07-2007, 10:12
My old Backpacker subscription $$$ are going to Backpackinglight.com these days. If their field editor(s) don't like something they tell you ...and they tell you why !!

'Slogger

Daddy Longlegs
09-07-2007, 10:12
I agree that an entire magazine for really knowledgeable backpackers wouldn't fly, but I do think BP could devote a couple of pages to the cottage industry and cutting edge products.

If they did stuff on cottage industries then our secrets would be out and the cottage guys would not be able to keep up. As for BP I still take the mag and enjoy some of the mag. They do have some ok ideas for some trips that I have not seen before. Just my 2 cents.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-07-2007, 10:53
Although I no longer consider BP'er cutting edge, I also do not consider alcohol stoves, hammocks and tarptents cutting edge. There is better everywhere. I agree with Jester2000, I think that most of the hikers on WB are already schooled more than most of BP'ers readers, IMO.

geek

No comparison between ultra-liteing 4 days shelter to shelter with a town stop on the AT to a week off trail in Alaska or the desert. Big difference is weight and land nav skills. Just the way it is.

Mags
09-07-2007, 11:12
I wrote this e-mail on the BPer mag/global warming thread. Here it is again. I think the article I linked is a very nice summary of what BPer mag has changed. We have not changed as Jester suggested. I'd say the the outdoor recreatation market has changed and BPer Mag had to change to survive.

-Mags

ps. Yep. They are now in Boulder along wih a gazillion other outdoor rags. As with Footslogger, I do not really think too highly of most outdoor rags.

MY ORIGINAL POST:

Backpacker Magazine is not a bad magazine per se, it is just not about backpacking per se.

I won't rehash again why backpacking is down, but sufficient to say an active backpacking population is not enough to keep the magazine floating.

So to keep the magazine floating, their ads are reflecting a different demograghic. The "done-in-a-day" folks. More ads about "lifestyle" (e.g. SUVs, alcohol, vacation destinations, etc.). The articles are about bagging peaks, canoeing, I saw one on mountain biking and very little on overnight trips.

The articles that are backpacking focused tend to be on gear. Articles that ulitmately sell STUFF. STUFF that ultimately equals ad revenue in one form or another.

The recent issue from Backpacker is probably the most in depth in a while. No comments on the politics (please..let's avoid that one again! There is already a huge thread on it!), but you have to admit it is one of the more "meaty" articles that BPer has done in a while...no matter what your politics are.

Is backpacker being less focused on backpacpking bad? Is it good? No, it's reality.

I don't subscribe to any outdoor magazines for similar reasons. I do find Outdoor Mag has the occassional well written and informative articles, the deluge of Captain Morgan ads takes a bit wade through. :) I'l skim the outdoor rags at the grocery store or book store, but I never really read them in depth.

The only outdoor publication I look foward to is Mountain Gazette (http://mountaingazette.com/). Outdoors as a lifestyle. It is not backpacking specific, but it has little of the Mountain Dew-like ethos and gear mania that have pervaded outdoor publications.

Irreverent, full of joy, a dirt-bag approach to gear. You have cranky libertarian types writing in the magazine but have an obvious love for the river, the crag or the canyon. You have granola heads who talk about Gaia and the universal prescence or some ..er..stuff, but have an apprecition and sheer joy for the world around them. And you have everything in between.

I love it.

ps. Here's an article from the Mountain Gazette's editor (http://mountaingazette.earthbound.com/article/190). He used to be a writer for Backpacker Mag. He also wrote a book on the Colorado and Arizona trails and thru-hiked the AT as well. He's one of us, basically. :)

sixhusbands
09-07-2007, 11:26
Magazines like BP run their course over time. When they start to lose sight of their original purpose and get hooked on ad revenues they usually lose raedership! I would like to see Mother Earth News back in print and all of the great stuff they presented. I still have some issues lying around for referencing purposes.

bulldog49
09-07-2007, 11:54
My old Backpacker subscription $$$ are going to Backpackinglight.com these days. If their field editor(s) don't like something they tell you ...and they tell you why !!

'Slogger

Me too, Slogger. Best source for unbiased info I know of.

modiyooch
09-07-2007, 12:30
I think that I still have my 1979 issues. I haven't really looked at the current issues. I should compare.

Pennsylvania Rose
09-07-2007, 12:34
I would like to see Mother Earth News back in print and all of the great stuff they presented. I still have some issues lying around for referencing purposes.

Huh? I have a long-standing subscription to MEN. 'Course, they've changed, too...

Cuffs
09-07-2007, 12:39
Huh? I have a long-standing subscription to MEN. 'Course, they've changed, too...

Ive cancelled my subscription to MEN, but hope to have it reinstated soon. Oh wait, you mean the magazine, dont you?!

gold bond
My biggest "grip" is living in SC I recieve the "south east" edition. Well thats all fine and good but the whole mag is full of articles on Denali.Yellowstone and Glacier Nat Park! If they could figure a way to regionalize the mag better I would like it more.

Mags

I suspect MEN do change overtime. I find this to be true with my long-standing subscription to a similar publication call WOMEN.

When I was under-12, I found my WOMEN subscription to be icky.

When I was 13-18, I found the WOMEN subscription to be a lot more interesting, but not sure how to go about continiuing to subscribe.

18-25 or so, my WOMEN subscription was a bit more successful, but I still had a lot to learn

From 26 or so to the current day, I am proud to say that my WOMEN subscription is the best it has been in a while. Of course, like the MEN subscription, I've changed...
And god knows I still have a lot to learn from and about my WOMEN subscription. ;)

taildragger
09-07-2007, 12:40
Its all about the times.

Remember when LL Bean used to make practical gear for the outdoors (hunting and fishing mainly) before they turned into a place that caters to yuppies and golfers? I actually don't, but I've seen their older gear and believe the stories (I'm just too young)

Times have just changed. Most people don't get outdoors, and if they do, they want the techie commercial style outdoors that they are used to. They want the in and out in 2 days so they can shower and wear their 1 oz sil nylon thong bikini to the beach the next day (add an extra oz if u want it to say "The North Face"). Thats just how people are.

Have you ever talked to any of these folks that buy the magazine and tell them your hiking stories, they'll think your nuts and run the opposite way.

BTW, one of the only recent issues that I have read had the article about the outdoor program in VT, Highschool kids would spend the school year learning how to live in the VT winter and spring, I thought that was a really cool article. Then again, in their gear review they talked about one of their tents collapsing in snow (which was one that they were reviewing) and they never revealed which tent it was :-?

One other thing, try and look at it this way. Most of the people on this site are into lite hiking. That being said, if I want to push myself into mountaineering, glacier traversing, and real winter camping, I go to nwhikers.net and get their opinions, cause they have the knowledge base (the base is here as well, I just get faster replies from them). Also, when I want to look at what equipment to get, I go to backpackgeartest.org . I'm thinking about becoming a tester for them (mainly cause I want free gear) but also because I'm not afraid to complain about flaws and praise ingenuity (zelph, maybe you should hook me up with some stoves to review since I'm lazy and I lost my stoves in my last move, otherwise I'm gonna have to fight my roommates cat for its food cans).

Incoherent rambling over, pax ex

Mags
09-07-2007, 12:41
Ive cancelled my subscription to MEN, but hope to have it reinstated soon. Oh wait, you mean the magazine, dont you?!

Similar thoughts at the same time. :-?

My WOMEN subscription tends not to last long in the past year, but does get renewed on a fairly regular basis.

Cuffs
09-07-2007, 12:45
I cancelled due to the incessant babble and drool that had nothing about what I was looking for. The intelligence factor of MEN (in this area!) had dropped off and I became uninterested in reading any further. If the articles become more comprehensible and intelligent, I will once again subscribe!!

Cuffs
09-07-2007, 12:47
That was an undeserving swerve, my apologies to MNS!

But I blame it all on PA Rose!

Mags
09-07-2007, 12:48
I cancelled due to the incessant babble and drool that had nothing about what I was looking for. The intelligence factor of MEN (in this area!) had dropped off and I became uninterested in reading any further. If the articles become more comprehensible and intelligent, I will once again subscribe!!

Well, I do find the MEN subscriptions to have variable results.

The WOMEN susbscription tends to be much saner and intelligent in some circles. :)

My apologies as well for thread swerve. It was too good to resist. I'll be serious now....

taildragger
09-07-2007, 12:53
The WOMEN susbscription tends to be much saner

:confused:

Ewker
09-07-2007, 12:56
The WOMEN susbscription tends to be much saner and intelligent in some circles. :)..

not so sure I agree with that :p

The Weasel
09-07-2007, 13:06
Well, after hitting my 50th year of backpacking, I'll say this: Backpacker is a great rag. Reading this thread made me leave my office for my 'reading room' to get the new and as-yet unread edition and check the Table of Contents. Lessee:

-America's Best Campsites. Cool. Been to two. Couple not too far from me. Gotta check them out.
-Vanishing Act. Article about lost guy. Other articles like this have been good; must read.
-Smartest Bears. Yosemite. Definitely gonna enjoy reading this.
-'07 Apparel Guide. Quick page flip says it recommends some companies I never heard of, and seems state-of-art. Fleece is on the out-trend? Really?
-Basecamp. White Mtns, Boise, Josh Tree (yum!), Great Lakes canoeing, Mt Rogers, and Australian trails? Need to know all of this, yes.
-Nature: Alaska, eagles, on-trail munchies, "heli-hiking", New Mex volcano. This all seems new to me, or new enough to want to read.
-Skills: Planning (yeah, re-learn so I don't keep doing same stupid things), "stranger danger" (that's a thread here, too!), recipes (maybe) and some health stuff,

OK. So the text seems good. What about the "whoring to big biz". Yeah, Jeep and North Face are there. So is "climashield", "bag balm," bushnell, nik wax, zappos, bob's red mill (grrrrreat Yellow Grits from bobs!), and "wash o wipe" (must find out about THIS "better than toilet paper"). Not sure who I'm suposed to hate other than maybe Verizon. Oh. Just noticed interesting ad for Clark Jungle Hammocks. I love my HH, but still worth finding out about. Then the little ads...like RuffWear Gear for Dogs On The Go.

If BP is a whore, well, they sure have an interesting bunch of Johns.

Then the last pages: Love those GPS/Maps. My edition is for California, so it shows three trails I never heard of. Bedford Peak is near Santa Ana? 2000 ft climb in 4 miles? Views? 30 min from me? Wow! Next weekend, yes!

I'm sorry if they didn't review all the competitive can stoves this month, but this is a mag I'm gonna read. It isn't the "Backpacker" I started reading 10-15 years ago (thank goodness), but it's worth it every cent of it. (October 13? "12th Annual Expedition Inspiration Take-A-Hike" at Paramount Ranch???? With some of the cast of "Gene Simmons Family Jewels"? $25 to support Breast Cancer? In a wild place I can't get into otherwise? Damn. Thanks for telling me, BP.)

I like it.

The Weasel

Mags
09-07-2007, 13:06
not so sure I agree with that :p

All I can say is that you don't see too many WOMEN subscriptions advocating the use of beer and powertools and "HEY WOULDN'T THAT BE COOL" at the same time. ;)

Cuffs
09-07-2007, 13:10
I have a full-time subscription to LOWES! And my fridge my be bare, but theres ALWAYS a beer to be found!

taildragger
09-07-2007, 13:12
All I can say is that you don't see too many WOMEN subscriptions advocating the use of beer and powertools and "HEY WOULDN'T THAT BE COOL" at the same time. ;)

That sounds more like the subscription I have to "RedNeck"

This months article that is a must read "Famous last words, 'Hey ya'll, watch dis'"

This rag/mag is coed as well, you should see the Britney Spears archive:eek:

Mags
09-07-2007, 13:14
I have a full-time subscription to LOWES! And my fridge my be bare, but theres ALWAYS a beer to be found!

But do you combine it all at the same time? Beer + power tools + "Hey wouldn't that be cool" = DARWIN AWARDS :D

Getting back to BPer Mag...

My main beef is that it is no longer about backpacking. It is more of a generic outdoor lifestyle magazine. Not good..not bad..but different from what the title now states.

Again, you may want to read the editorial I posted from the backpacker mag editor. Interesting reading.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-07-2007, 13:14
::: Dino mops coffee off keyboard and monitor :::

Survivor Dave
09-07-2007, 13:18
Mags,

I have to agree with you on Backpacker Magazine. There are a few selected articles that are OK. But for the most part, the articles are for the gear people to sell. However, I do buy the anual gear guide for a quick check on new products as far as the specs and such.

Survivor Dave

Mags
That sounds more like the subscription I have to "RedNeck"

This months article that is a must read "Famous last words, 'Hey ya'll, watch dis'"

This rag/mag is coed as well, you should see the Britney Spears archive:eek:

I'm from the Northeast. We have Guido (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido_%28slang%29). Artilces on gold chains, chrome rims and how to sound like an extra from the Sopranos....

Living in Colorado, we have GRANOLA YUPPIE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobos_in_Paradise). Backpacker Mag also has a similar demographic. :)

Cuffs
But do you combine it all at the same time? Beer + power tools + "Hey wouldn't that be cool" = DARWIN AWARDS :D

NO, but it is noon (in CST) and its Friday! Signing off folks!!

Oh, and sorry FD, but it had to be said!! Hope the coffee didnt fry any circuits!

-SEEKER-
09-07-2007, 13:27
Being new to backpacking (4 years) and only having subscribed to BP Magazine for two years now I've not had to weather any changes. I used to subscribe to Outside Magazine, but found it didn't contain enough info about backpacking. I enjoy the magazine, esp when they have info on thinks to do near home. It would be really if AT Journeys could spawn a magazine the size of BP or Outside. Any aspiring writers and publishers out there?:-?

-SEEKER-
09-07-2007, 13:29
Excuse the spelling errors. I can spell, I just can't type. Sorry!

The Weasel
09-07-2007, 13:30

Cyndie:

You don't have to worry. No one here who matters cares about spelling. Keep posting.

The Weasel

SGT Rock
09-07-2007, 13:32
exaktly...

Mags
09-07-2007, 13:32
NO, but it is noon (in CST) and its Friday! Signing off folks!!

Oh, and sorry FD, but it had to be said!! Hope the coffee didnt fry any circuits!

Alas, I'm here to 5pm MST.

But I will be hiking this weekend! Woo hoo!

(Lots of photos to upload soon...)

Mags
09-07-2007, 13:33

No worries. I make more than my share..and so do most of us. :)

:welcome

Footslogger
09-07-2007, 13:37

====================================

It's not you ...it's the keyboard that's making all the mistakes !!

'Slogger

Cuffs
09-07-2007, 13:43
Are you kidding? Some DO care about spelling...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26647&highlight=spelling

The Weasel
09-07-2007, 13:45
Are you kidding? Some DO care about spelling...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26647&highlight=spelling

Cyndie:

You don't have to worry. No one here who matters cares about spelling. Keep posting.

The Weasel

As I said.

The Weasel

Cuffs
09-07-2007, 13:47
Sorry Weasel, I should have put a funny face with that! It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek!

The Weasel
09-07-2007, 13:50
Sorry Weasel, I should have put a funny face with that! It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek!

I forgot one, too. Sorry, Cuffs.

By the way. You misssssspellllled my name. As I keep telling people, I'm not merely a weasel. I'm The Weasel. Apologies to all thossse whos names I misssspellll.

:) :)
The Weasel

littlelaurel59
09-07-2007, 17:55
Did anyone notice in the current issue of Backpacking that they were sold and moved the whole thing to Boulder, Colorado? I hope the mile high state helps the magazine be even better then it is now. How does this group feel about this?

Mother Natures Son:banana :banana :banana :banana

Getting back to the original thread....Backpacker was published by Rodale Press (if my memory still works). They publish a long list of special interest mags from birdwatching to cooking. They are publishers who have people writing for them. They are in the business of making a profit... otherwise they would no longer be in business.

It remains to be seen what will happen after the sale. I know nothing of the new owners. Since it is based in Boulder, who knows? I remember years back that Celestial Seasonings teas (based in Boulder) sold out to Kraft Foods. After a few years hating life in the corporate world, a group of disgruntled folks bought the company back.

I enjoy reading the magazine. Some of their articles are informative, some are entertaining, some are worthless. I can usually find something that helps me through the withdrawal on those times when I cannot get out.

I get the mag "free" for a donation to the American Hiking Society. I consider that a good investment.

gold bond
09-07-2007, 17:58
Far aul us ridnicks here in SC thit wood bee "Da Wesil"!!
sory ifn' ane uf dis iz mizpelled butt ar ke bords ar diffrn't her in da sowth!!

The Weasel
09-07-2007, 18:05
No prollem, gold, wen ahh wuz in Skowts, ahh gawt thuh 'Southern Drawl' Interpreter Badge. Sew ahhh knowed jus whut yewawal wuz sayin'.

Da Wesil (elsewhere known as The Weasel)

Miner
09-07-2007, 21:42
So Brian at ULA paid Backpacker big bucks to get them to recommend his Catalyst backpack as best for thruhiking (more then once)? Man, he must be doing good business out of his garage to afford that. No wonder he can afford to close his shop down every fall. ;)

As someone who has subscribed for 15 years, what has changed for me isn't the magazine but myself. While in the 1990's, I lived for the gear guide. But as I got more into lighter weight gear, which is a niche market, their gear tests/reviews meant less to me. But they are still relevant to most of the population of weekend backpackers since they think a 20-30lb baseweight is going light.

I keep the magazine, not for the ads and the stuff on gear but rather the information on trips that I haven't done before. They sometimes show me someplace I hadn't heard of before. I remember one trip writeup about fall in the badlands from the 90's that motivated me to finally go backpacking there in late Sept of 2004. Maybe if money is tight for you, the magazine isn't worth it. But for me, its still a nice diversion every month. Sure, I think they could improve it, but there aren't many other choices out there who write on backpacking more then once or twice a year.

Jester2000
09-07-2007, 22:14
BP contributes some major $$$ toward the expense of hosting TD to the town of Damascus. That is the reason they get the prime real estate in the tent city.

Actually, the prime real estate at TD is in Billville, where we prove yearly that you don't have to donate a lot of money to anyone in order to put up a big horkin' tent or two.

We have not changed as Jester suggested. I'd say the the outdoor recreatation market has changed and BPer Mag had to change to survive.
. . .So to keep the magazine floating, their ads are reflecting a different demograghic. The "done-in-a-day" folks.

I take your point, and it's a valid one. On the other hand, making money has always been about making money, but almost all of us started out, somewhere back in the mists of time, as "done-in-a-day" folks.

The WOMEN subscription tends to be much saner and intelligent in some circles. :)

Circles full of crazy people?
As for me, I had to cancel my subscription to WOMEN when I found out my neighbor was stealing my issues.

I have to agree with you on Backpacker Magazine. There are a few selected articles that are OK. But for the most part, the articles are for the gear people to sell. However, I do buy the anual gear guide for a quick check on new products as far as the specs and such.
Survivor Dave

So to clarify, you don't like the issues where some of the articles are for "the gear people to sell," but you like the issue where the entire magazine is that way?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-07-2007, 22:44
Actually, the prime real estate at TD is in Billville, where we prove yearly that you don't have to donate a lot of money to anyone in order to put up a big horkin' tent or two.Hush yur mouth, honeychild. We don't want just anyone moving into Billville and destroying its pristine reputation for purity (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/TD07BillvilleLandfill.jpg) and safety (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/TD07BillvillesDog.jpg) and sober elected officials.
(http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/TD07JesteratBillville.jpg)

Jester2000
09-07-2007, 22:50
Hush yur mouth, honeychild. We don't want just anyone moving into Billville and destroying its pristine reputation for purity (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/TD07BillvilleLandfill.jpg) and safety (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/TD07BillvillesDog.jpg) and sober elected officials.
(http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/TD07JesteratBillville.jpg)

Well, you know, the landfill isn't IN Billville, it's next to it (and I must say those young men actually cleaned up after themselves).

Shame what happened to that dog, though. But I think that's one of the best pictures of me EVER.

Cuffs
09-07-2007, 23:19
Circles full of crazy people?
As for me, I had to cancel my subscription to WOMEN when I found out my neighbor was stealing my issues.

I dont mean to make light of what happened, but I laughed so loud the dog and cat both got up and ran!!

Jester2000
09-07-2007, 23:57
I dont mean to make light of what happened, but I laughed so loud the dog and cat both got up and ran!!

Ah, Cuffs, you know. If I don't make light of it I have my Jestering license revoked.

Cuffs
09-08-2007, 00:41
I usually get my magazines on a monthly basis, but theres usually not enough content to keep me interested for more than a couple days...
Or its the junk mail. No matter what you do, you just cant get rid of it and it keeps returing anyways...

Mags
09-10-2007, 12:21
I remember years back that Celestial Seasonings teas (based in Boulder) sold out to Kraft Foods. After a few years hating life in the corporate world, a group of disgruntled folks bought the company back.

I

They are now owned by yet another corporate chain. Hain.
http://www.hain-celestial.com/

Basically, an organic food type corporate chain.

FWIW, Celestial Seasonings is across the street from where I live. During the summer, you can smell lemon scent wafting through the condo complex.

To make this thread related, I don't think BPer Mag will improve by moving to Boulder. If anything, it might become more of a gnarly, Mountain Dew EXTREME magazine. A sport magazine as opposed to an outdoor magazine.

Mags
09-10-2007, 12:33
I take your point, and it's a valid one. On the other hand, making money has always been about making money, but almost all of us started out, somewhere back in the mists of time, as "done-in-a-day" folks.

As mentioned, I never said it was good or bad. But it is different. And the title of the magazine is BACKPACKER. Not DAY HIKER, not PEAK BAGGER, etc.

BTW "done in a day" is an industry term that encompasses everything from day hiking to mountain biking to rock climbing, etc. Things..well, done in a day. It is not my term. (And I often day hike, trail run and ski. I try to do different things. :) )

And that is why BPer Mag seldom has few straight up articles about backpacking. Very few people backpack compared to the inudustry as a whole. They have evolved to because they have to.

I am not one of these people who say "BPer Mag is crap". I honestly don't think that. But I don't think it is really a magazine about backpacking anymore, either. Heck, their promoition materials admit as such! Anyway, I suspect we share similar views..if stated differently.

Re: Subscription to MEN and WOMEN

I just had a trial renewal of my WOMEN subscription this past weekend. One person ended her MEN subscription recently, so the issues of both the MEN and WOMEN subscription will be read slowly. Oddly enough, while hiking Sunday, I bumped into an old WOMEN subscription while with my new (trial) WOMEN subscription.

That's OK. A few months ago, I bumped into my old WOMEN subscription while she was out with her new MEN subscription. On a hike.

Damn small town.

Smile
09-10-2007, 16:23
I used to get BP mag, cancelled several years ago, and have to echo the sentiments about it not being so much about BPing, lots of shiny ads - but also understand that ads pay the bills.

My concern is that some of the "best kept secret" campsites are being advertised to the masses, but I don't see a standard blow-in card or static page in the magazine offering info about LNT ethics, or how to clean up after yourself at these really cool campsites.

It seems like a great way for some of the 'out of the way' places to be promoted to the non-outdoorsy-but-want-to-SUV-to-a-cool-place-in-the-wildernes public real fast as a novelty and easy find - this info seems packaged and offered info to those (i.e.demographics/ads) who aren't actual 'back packers' or hikers, but more the SUV crowd, ready to drive into that pristine wilderness, set up camp and leave lots of 'trace'.

Uh Oh, forget typos - my experience at the School of Redundancy School is showing!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-10-2007, 17:27
Re: Subscription to MEN and WOMEN
I just had a trial renewal of my WOMEN subscription this past weekend. One person ended her MEN subscription recently, so the issues of both the MEN and WOMEN subscription will be read slowly. Oddly enough, while hiking Sunday, I bumped into an old WOMEN subscription while with my new (trial) WOMEN subscription.

That's OK. A few months ago, I bumped into my old WOMEN subscription while she was out with her new MEN subscription. On a hike.

Damn small town.::: Dino renews subscription to HE-DINO for the toothy ads and the pictures :D :::

RadioFreq
09-10-2007, 17:37
Last spring I was in the Salt Lake City Airport cooling my heels waiting for my flight back to St. Paul when I noticed the then latest copy of BP at a newstand. It was one of those "Best Gear" issues. Out of curiousity I bought it. Inside they had a whole bunch of their experts test several of one particular type of campgear. For instance, one guy/gal would test only sleeping bags, another guy/gal would test tents, someone else reported on hiking boots, another backpacks, yada, yada yada.
I was somewhat taken aback that BP didn't have one person who tested hammocks. :eek: I was really hoping that someone was going to do a side-by-side test comparing the HH, the Spear, the Crazy Creek, etc. This ommission got me thinking.....are we "hangers" really such a niche group (some would say "lunatic fringe") that we can be ignored by the so-called experts?

( :) T-minus 18 months and counting. :) )

Jimmers
09-10-2007, 18:47
.....are we "hangers" really such a niche group (some would say "lunatic fringe") that we can be ignored by the so-called experts?

Yes.:D

Ok, that's the short answer. Here's the slightly longer one.;) Hangers usually come to be hangers after years of experience w/ tents and tarps and have some trail under their boots already (at least that's my xp). Much of Backpacker's readership are probably newbies just starting out or are making the transition from campgrounds to backpacking. To these people hammocks are only good for one of two things: for dad to take a nap in after setting up the tent/trailer, or the kids to play in. No amount of advertising or product reviews is going to convince most of these people that hammocks are perfectly good shelters if you know what you're doing.

Plus all the reviewers are still probably on the quest for the ultimate "bombproof" tent.:D

ncmtns
09-11-2007, 16:06
After trying to read the last issue on global warming, I threw it out. I dont believe a bit of it and its too bad they had to make the whole issue a major statement on a hoax.

sarbar
09-12-2007, 18:53
After trying to read the last issue on global warming, I threw it out. I dont believe a bit of it and its too bad they had to make the whole issue a major statement on a hoax.
That issue was quite straight on about what is happening in the West with glaciers. Their points on Rainier were very accurate (warming temps/receding glaciers/bad floods). One doesn't have to be more than a casual observer to see how many glaciers we have lost here in Washington. There are two guys who come out here yearly that do glacier studies that post on our local hiking boards-and they have been doing it for many years. In the past decade and more so, in the past 5 years, a number have gone extinct.
Now tell me.....it doesn't exist? Uhhuh. All I have to say is this: go visit Glacier NP. It should be Pretty Rocks NP.

Mags
09-12-2007, 18:59
That issue was quite straight on about what is happening in the West with glaciers..

When I was in the Winds last weekend, the glaciers were noticeably smaller than what is shown on topo maps drawn up in the 1960s or so.

It it is hoax than it is a damn good one (if you can read a map... :) )

Sly
09-12-2007, 19:28
When I was in the Winds last weekend, the glaciers were noticeably smaller than what is shown on topo maps drawn up in the 1960s or so.

It it is hoax than it is a damn good one (if you can read a map... :) )

Same with Glacier NP and most ice in general. However, I just read something the other day that said the glaciers on Shasta are getting bigger.

sarbar
09-12-2007, 21:09
I wish that everyone who thinks it is a hoax would load up their family and go visit Glacier to see it first hand. It is noticeable.
As for growing/stable glaciers I can think of two off hand:
the glacier in Mt. St. Helens crater is growing (but it is also well shaded!) and the Carbon Glacier on Mt. Rainier is stable at a very low elevation (lowest glacier in the lower 48). Why? It is black. It was covered in heavy rock fall that insulates it. The Emmons Glacier on Rainier is another one that has rockfall insulating it.

On the other hand, a good example is the Nisqually Glacier on Rainier. On your up to Paradise at Rainier is a bridge over the Nisqually River. One can look right up the moraine to to the foot of the glacier, nearly a mile up. In the late 1960's that glacier nearly touched under the bridge. That is some serious pullback.

This picture is taken on Dege Peak, across the White River Valley from Rainier:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Rainier/RT4.jpg
You are looking at the Emmons Glacier pouring down, and the moraine is VERY visible below it. The moraine is massive. I have seen many photos from the 60's and 70's....and it has pulled back quite a bit.