PDA

View Full Version : How to hike better?

wbmac
09-07-2007, 00:08
Can anyone point me to some books or resources on how to hike more efficiently? I mean something that fully expands on the walking/hiking technique. Which path to choose, what kind of step to take (long stride or short), uphill/downhill techniques, footwear, push off techniques, breathing, etc. Things of that nature. I just sectioned 300 miles on the AT and feel I have more to learn on how to walk.

mweinstone
09-07-2007, 00:20
jim fixx. the complete book of running. freedom of the hills, the mountaineers. walk with spring, earl shaffer. and finnaly, baltimore jacks new book, walking on old knees.

mudhead
09-07-2007, 04:47
You might want to post this in the "straight forward" forum. Library will be a start. Got to be a book on "stepping over and around" out there. I'd read it...

Marta
09-07-2007, 06:18
Ray Jardine goes into these questions in his book.

Marta/Five-Leaf

7Sisters
09-07-2007, 06:28
If your goal is to obtain better technique on walking and want to "get how to" books, Walking with Spring will not meet this criteria. While a good book, it's not a how to walk better book. I would do more research on Walking on Old Knees as well (before buying).

Regarding Freedom of the Hills, this book is a great how to book, but more geared towards mountainneering than traditional three season backpacking. The majority of the book will not hit the mark.

I looked up Colin Fletcher's book The Complete Walker IV and not sure that will work well either. Here's the table of contents:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0375703233/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-1409398-4261727#reader-link

If this is your first 300 miles, I would agree that you have a lot to learn about technique and becoming more effecient as a hiker. I'm not still sure what your goal is though:
* More miles?
* Faster pace?
* Expend less energy?
* All of the above?
* Somethine else?

In all reality, I think you're going to find the answers to these questions on the traill, not in a book. Rather than reading a generalist book about hiking technique, getting on the trail in good condition will prob be the best way to address this. Specifically since it will be about how you hike and how you can improve.

Hope this makes sense.

rickb
09-07-2007, 06:34
There is something called the rest step in mountain climbing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_step

Not sure if it really helps so much on our little 4,000 footers, but the mental exersize of going through the process can be a welcome distraction. I am sure this is covered in the classic climbing book "Freedom of the Hills".

Personally I think you just need to "Flow with the Trail" and learn by doing.

Whatever that means!

Dr O
09-07-2007, 07:13
Ray Jardine goes into these questions in his book.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Yea, but if it's Beyond Backpacking, prepare to hike one-legged and one-armed after sourcing this collectible. :(

(Please reprint this classic book Ray! :))

bigcranky
09-07-2007, 07:36
I'd get a copy of The Complete Walker, by Colin Fletcher. If you can get the original edition, so much the better. The 4th edition is more current in terms of gear and such, and still has a fair amount of Fletcher's voice coming through, so it might also be a good choice.

MOWGLI
09-07-2007, 07:40
The Joy of Hiking by John McKinney

http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Hiking-Trailmaster-Way/dp/089997385X

Time To Fly 97
09-07-2007, 08:04
Lesson #1

At the end of the day, when you are exausted and feeling every step of that last mile, pay attention to how you are walking. Unless you are about to do a faceplant, you are probably walking very efficiently to save energy (you aren't bouncing, small steps, your forward lean offsets your pack backwards pull, you are not our of breath)...

Start off this way.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Kerosene
09-07-2007, 08:48
Many of these topics, and more, are covered in a recent book by Ryan Jordan (of BackpackingLight.com) titled, Lightweight Backpacking and Camping: A Field Guide to Wilderness Equipment, Technique, and Style (http://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-Backpacking-Camping-Wilderness-Equipment/dp/0974818828/ref=sr_1_1/105-1386674-4210039?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189169109&sr=8-1). Some of the writing gets a little technical, but there is a nice mix of topics.

Marta
09-07-2007, 09:07
Yea, but if it's Beyond Backpacking, prepare to hike one-legged and one-armed after sourcing this collectible. :(

(Please reprint this classic book Ray! :))

Are you saying I could put my copy on eBay and finance my next hike with the proceeds?

Marta/Five-Leaf

Pennsylvania Rose
09-07-2007, 09:16
Are you saying I could put my copy on eBay and finance my next hike with the proceeds?

Marta/Five-Leaf

Maybe not the whole trip, but you could buy a new piece of equipment. On Amazon the prices range from 73.89 to 185.59. Wish I had bought the book years ago when I first heard of it. I'm settling for finding it through interlibrary loan.

MOWGLI
09-07-2007, 09:22
I just sectioned 300 miles on the AT and feel I have more to learn on how to walk.

You'll learn vastly more by just walking than you will from any book IMO.

SGT Rock
09-07-2007, 09:45
I agree with Mowgli - books are good for getting ideas. Practical exercise and hands on experience (or in this case foot on) experience of trail-by-error is the best way to really learn how to walk. And I bet it takes about 100 miles to get it.

wbmac
09-07-2007, 11:36
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to check some of em out right now. My goal is to upgrade my walking skills. Most importantly I guess would be to walk most efficiently. But I'd like to learn about all the hiking techniques.

I don't really need books that focus on gear. I have that part well done so far. I would like to read Beyond Backpacking but of course availability is an issue. I read the previous PCT Handbook and it had some great nuggets in there.

While I agree nothing substitutes experience, I'm of the mind that having a good book/coach accelerates the learning curve as well as delivers better end results. So I'm trying to track down some good info. Thanks!

Frosty
09-07-2007, 15:12
Use a pair of poles to get into a rhythm.

Recite poetry (iambic pentameter works best) aloud to maintain pace (one pole strike per accented sylable):

It WAS the SHOONer HESperUS
That SAILED the WINtry SEA

or

The FAIR breeze BLEW, the WHITE foam FLEW,
The FURrows FOLlowed FREE
WE were the FIRST that EVer BURST
INto that SILent SEA

Also, lengthen stride (slightly) on gradual downhills, shorten it on uphills.

Time To Fly 97
09-07-2007, 15:30
Lesson #2

At all times, try to keep your back straight. Hiking poles are excellent for this because they help keep your shoulders from sagging forward. This is very important because this allows more oxygen into your lungs. By keeping your breathing rythmic with your steps and concentrating on full but controlled exhales you notice a huge improvement in your energy level and less muscle fatigue.

Happy hiking!

TTF

The Solemates
09-07-2007, 15:52
http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Engine-Hikers-Guide-Maintenance/dp/0897324056/ref=sr_1_1/103-1739678-1337450?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189194696&sr=8-1

this is a decent book and may be similar to what you are looking for.

wbmac
09-07-2007, 19:14
Lesson #2

At all times, try to keep your back straight. Hiking poles are excellent for this because they help keep your shoulders from sagging forward. This is very important because this allows more oxygen into your lungs. By keeping your breathing rythmic with your steps and concentrating on full but controlled exhales you notice a huge improvement in your energy level and less muscle fatigue.

Happy hiking!

TTF

I think breathing correctly may be the single most important technique. I'm trying to track down some info on diaphram breathing. How to do it correctly while hiking (correct rhythm and technique). I've noticed a lot of times I'd be out of breath and muscles would be tired because I wasnt breathing deep enough not because I wasn't fit enough to tackle the incline at that speed. I've tried deep breathing on inclines and I find it helps me a lot. But it wasn't diaphram style. Sternum straps are also a big hindrance. They restrict breathing so much. I have them clipped but fully maximized so as not to impede my lungs.

Tin Man
09-07-2007, 21:27
I guess I am old school. Left, right, repeat works for me. And the more of those you do, the more mileage you can achieve. Then you need to pause and ask yourself, "did I come out here to rack up big mileage days or to experience nature and have an adventure?" Only you can answer that one.

Frosty
09-07-2007, 21:49
"did I come out here to rack up big mileage days or to experience nature and have an adventure?" Only you can answer that one.Didn't realize it was one or the other. I guess one can't experience 18 miles of nature a day? Only 12? Or does what you experience after 12 miles a day not count? I want to follow the rules, but they seem a tad ambiguous.

Like what if you sense you are about to have an adventure and you've already hiked 20 miles that day? Should you turn around and go back? Camp right there and hope the adventure is still available in the morning?

Plus, now that I think about it, I'm not sure why walking in the woods for five hours, and spending five hours sitting at a picnic table in front of a shelter is experiencing more nature than walking in the woods for 10 hours. Please advise.

Tin Man
09-07-2007, 22:09
Didn't realize it was one or the other. I guess one can't experience 18 miles of nature a day? Only 12? Or does what you experience after 12 miles a day not count? I want to follow the rules, but they seem a tad ambiguous.

Like what if you sense you are about to have an adventure and you've already hiked 20 miles that day? Should you turn around and go back? Camp right there and hope the adventure is still available in the morning?

Plus, now that I think about it, I'm not sure why walking in the woods for five hours, and spending five hours sitting at a picnic table in front of a shelter is experiencing more nature than walking in the woods for 10 hours. Please advise.

You are quite correct, it does not have to be one or the other, but it can be if you are not careful. It depends on where you are and who you are. Thru-hikers can expect to do more miles than a section hiker. As a section hiker, I have a different agenda than a thru-hiker. I am trying to accomplish some miles, but I also like to stop and enjoy the scene here and there. I am not saying that a high mileage person cannot do the same. I just think you can overdo it if you are not careful and therefore take the fun out of it. I know I have tried to do some high mileage days and did not enjoy it as much as something with some "picnic table time". Too much time at the picnic table is not fun either. I am just suggesting a balance of hiking and spending time to stop and enjoy the scene is what works for me. It is all too easy to fall into a trap of "gotta do the miles" and potentially missing some of the scene. I have been there and it took the fun out of it for me. Like I said, everyone is different and what they want out of the experience. I am just suggesting that one should consider more than just the miles, but if that is what matters to them then that is what they should pursue.

hopefulhiker
09-07-2007, 22:18
Everyone has their own style.. I had a difficult time walking down hill. The use of poles really helped.. I used the blind man style of pole use with opposite pole/foot forward.. This way you usually have a three point contact all the time...