09-07-2007, 13:53
Does anyone know of any books about the outdoors or long hikes besides:
A Walk in the Woods
Into the Wild
A Walk Across America 1 & 2

Thanks, Jared.

generoll
09-07-2007, 14:05
see if you can find a copy of "The Long Walk". That's some serious hiking.

-SEEKER-
09-07-2007, 14:06
A HIKE FOR MIKE by Jeff Alt
A WALK FOR SUNSHINE by Jeff Alt
WORLDWALK by Steven Newman
A JOURNEY NORTH by Adrienne Hall
ON THE BEATEN PATH by Robert Alden Rubin

hopefulhiker
09-07-2007, 14:08
The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher is about backpacking solo...

superman
09-07-2007, 14:15
The Ordinary Adventure by Jan Leitschuh (LiteShoe)
It's a very good hiking book and the author is a whitblaze regular. It's available here http://www.funfreedom.com/

Tipi Walter
09-07-2007, 14:17
THE LONG WALK or THE LONGEST WALK about some guy who rolled a backpack from Alaska to Argentina. Took him 7 years, 19,000 miles.

The two volume Rodale Press books, HIKING THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL

Any books on mountaineering epics such as INTO THIN AIR, Beck Weather's LEFT FOR DEAD, 148 DEGREES BELOW ZERO about some guys trying to survive a terrible storm on Denali. Any story about K2, the "Death Mountain".

Clint Wills(Willis?)books about epic Everest stories.

SHACKLETON'S voyage is good reading
The KARLUK disaster or the ESSEX mishap.
NOT WITHOUT PERIL, an excellent tome on all the deaths atop Mt Washington.
ORDEAL BY HUNGER: THE DONNER PARTY is danged interesting and fun reading when stuck in a tent during a blizzard.

Mags
09-07-2007, 14:48
http://booksforhikers.com/the-trails/appalachian-trail

warraghiyagey
09-07-2007, 17:20
The best hiking book I've ever read by far is "Take Me With You" by Brad Newsham. He does not ever tell you how to hike. He tells you what his hike was like. 100 days, starting in the Phillipines, then to Nepal, India, Egypt, Kilamanjaro and down the east coast of Africa ending in S. Africa.
The whole purpous of his trip other than to wee the world, was to meet someone out there that he would pay to bring back to the US San Fran for a month.
The culmination of the book is too powerful to be so relatively unknown. Newsham is one of us. And it is a great read. I'd like to know what you thought of this book.

BTW - I read "Not Without Peril" whileat Madison Hut during a viscious storm. Great place to read that book.
Peace:)

7Sisters
09-07-2007, 17:37
A couple of my favorites:

Walking with Spring
Blind Courage
Walk for Sunshine (I know it was said earlier - but it was that good)
Not Without Peril

Cannibal
09-07-2007, 17:48
AWOL on the Appalachian Trail by David Miller.

Good book for anyone to read; you don't have to be a hiker to 'get it'. This is the book I tell my family to read when they ask about thru-hiking the AT.

TJ aka Teej
09-07-2007, 17:55
eArThworm's list: http://booksforhikers.com/the-trails/appalachian-trail

TJ aka Teej
09-07-2007, 17:57
http://booksforhikers.com/the-trails/appalachian-trail

Mags beat me to it!! :sun

slowerThanmagaroniJ

Mags
09-07-2007, 18:20
Mags beat me to it!! :sun

slowerThanmagaroniJ

But still able to translate my awful handwriting. :D

Bare Bear
09-07-2007, 20:43
Try Model T's books. He has thru hiked a few times and I met him in 06 and found he was a really neat guy as well as a good writer. History plus just a good read in most of them.

emerald
09-07-2007, 21:14
Try Model T's books.

Saw your posts in the bear thread today, Bare Bear. Gold bond said I ought to read Model T's books too. Maybe I should.:-?

TinAbbey
09-07-2007, 21:46
A Journey on the crest - cindy ross (PCT)
scraping heaven - cindy ross (CDT)
and she's got one on the AT

Lilred
09-08-2007, 00:33
I second the suggestion of Model T's books. He has two out now. Walking on the Happy Side of Misery, and The Ghost Whisperers. The first book is about his first thru, the second is more about the history that surrounds the AT. Both are very good. I've had the pleasure of doing a couple of overnighters with Model T and a few others at Big South Fork and he is as entertaining in person as he is in his books. He just finished his third thru last year and raised thousands of dollars for a homeless shelter in his hometown.

I also agree that Blind Courage is a very good read. I read it in a day, a zero at Mountain Harbor hostel. Couldn't put it down.

Another one I really enjoyed was Then the Hail Came.

http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html

It's an online book.

Hmmmm I may have to read that one again. It's been awhile....

Rain Man
09-08-2007, 18:43
"The Long Walk" by Slavomir Rawicz.

Several WWII prisoners of war escape from a Soviet gulag and hike through the snow, across the Gobi Desert, and the Himalays, into India.

Incredible.

This site has a personal (not mine) bibliography of AT and hiking books, with reviews of each--
http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/bookreviews.html

Rain:sunMan

gumball
09-09-2007, 07:54
Weird Hikes, by Art Bernstein Set for hikes in the Western part of the US, made me feel a lot better about all the strange stuff that has happened to us during our hiking trips. Lots of fun to read.

TJ aka Teej
09-09-2007, 10:10
But still able to translate my awful handwriting. :D

It got lots better by the time you were finishing up the PossiPhic C4ress FnaaL. I'll have to transcibe for another hiker someday - I miss the smell of wood smoke and stovetop stuffing in my mailbox :D

prozac
09-09-2007, 21:41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several WWII prisoners of war escape from a Soviet gulag and hike through the snow, across the Gobi Desert, and the Himalays, into India.

Incredible

Beyond incredible. Makes a thuhike look like a walk in the park.

Lilred
09-11-2007, 11:47
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incredible

Beyond incredible. Makes a thuhike look like a walk in the park.

Ummm technically, wouldn't a thru hike be a walk in the park????

ATSeamstress
09-11-2007, 12:04
Some of my favorites . . .

A Woman's Journey - Cindy Ross
There are Mountains to Climb - Jean Deeds
Ten Million Steps - Nimblewill Nomad
Walking With Spring - Earl Shaffer
Walking on the Happy Side of Misery - Model T

and two more favorites with outstanding photography that are great coffee-table conversation starters . . .
Calling Me Back To The Hills - Earl Shaffer
Sojourn in the Wilderness - Kenneth Wadness

Blue Jay
09-11-2007, 12:36
It's a very good hiking book and the author is a whitblaze regular. It's available here http://www.funfreedom.com/

I agree completely. This is by far THE most inspirational long distance hiking book ever written. My girlfriend read it and not only finally understands the urge to LD hike but wanted to call LiteShoe up and talk her into another thru of the Long Trail with her. LiteShoe proves the fact that anyone can do far more than you think you can do. I suggest that anyone who does not hike and is thinking of a LD hike NEEDS to buy this book. In addition, if you know anyone who is leary about your own LD hiking abilities and desire and you want to convince them that you are not crazy, give them this book. It is a very very dangerous book. It will cause many many people to find the hole in the fence and onto the adventure of their lives.

superman
09-11-2007, 13:08
Originally Posted by superman http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=403084#post403084)

I agree completely. This is by far THE most inspirational long distance hiking book ever written. My girlfriend read it and not only finally understands the urge to LD hike but wanted to call LiteShoe up and talk her into another thru of the Long Trail with her. LiteShoe proves the fact that anyone can do far more than you think you can do. I suggest that anyone who does not hike and is thinking of a LD hike NEEDS to buy this book. In addition, if you know anyone who is leary about your own LD hiking abilities and desire and you want to convince them that you are not crazy, give them this book. It is a very very dangerous book. It will cause many many people to find the hole in the fence and onto the adventure of their lives.

That is all true for new hikers. In addition to that both Pat and I have hiked the LT plus other trails and both have dealt with the issues that Jan raises. We aren't raising through the book because we are enjoying it and discussing it as we go.

rockrat
09-11-2007, 13:22
Our Southern Highlanders by Horace Kephart. Its my single most favorite book besides the Bible.

satchownz
09-22-2007, 12:09
As mentioned by a couple peeps, Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods" is fantastic. I have it on audio book and I swear my play count for the entire thing is like 15, and it's five hours long. I swear I laugh out loud at parts.

Bill Bryson, A walk in the woods = A+

:)

Marta
09-22-2007, 13:10
"Swimming to Antarctica," by Lynne Cox.

"Touching the Void," by Joe Simpson. He has written a number of other books as well.

earlyriser26
09-24-2007, 13:36
I just read Forever on the mountain. It is about the1967 Denali climb during which seven climbers were killed. Interesting reading.

Roland
09-24-2007, 18:10
I just recently discovered Awol's book (http://www.awolonthetrail.com/) and give it high marks.

It is interesting to read a book when some of the characters are familiar names. For instance, there are a number of Whiteblaze members, mentioned in the book. Others names I recognized from Trek and Walking with Freedom. Both these movies were filmed in 2003, the year Awol hiked the Trail.

rafe
09-24-2007, 19:02
I just recently discovered Awol's book (http://www.awolonthetrail.com/) and give it high marks.

I liked the book too, but Awol certainly wasn't a "typical" thru hiker in terms of daily mileage... or number of bear-sightings. :D And not very smart about hiking with his wife in MA. D'oh.

shelterbuilder
09-24-2007, 19:26
For some historical perspective on the Pacific Crest Trail, try "The High Adventure of Eric Ryback: Canada to Mexico on Foot", c. 1971 published by Chronicle Books (1971) and Bantam Books (1973). But you may have trouble finding it - I believe it's out of print.

earlyriser26
09-24-2007, 21:46
I read it and his account of his A.T. hike. It seems there is some controversy over both his hikes. Blue blazer? Yellow Blazer? I just re-read his account of his A.T. hike and some of his accounts were a bit over the top. Hiking from Grafton Notch in ME to Rattle River in NH in one day with a heavy pack? It took me 3 days in 1974 when I was in good shape. Two days maybe. Still I liked the PCT account.

Lyle
09-24-2007, 23:35
I too enjoyed Eric Ryback's account of his PCT hike. I will concede some of it seems to be the result of "poetic license" or possibly pure exageration.

If you have any interest in young people and bicycling, check out "Hey Mom, Can I Ride My Bike Across America?" by John Seigel Boettner. It's the account of husband and wife teachers who lead a group of 5 young teens on a self-supported bicycle trip across the country. Reminicent of Peter Jenkin's "Walk Across America" and "The Walk West" (also recommended) this book spends considerable time recounting the interactions the group had with the folks they met along the way.

Also recommend "Ten Million Steps" by M. J. Eberhart (Nimblewill Nomad)

shelterbuilder
09-24-2007, 23:42
I read it and his account of his A.T. hike. It seems there is some controversy over both his hikes. Blue blazer? Yellow Blazer? I just re-read his account of his A.T. hike and some of his accounts were a bit over the top. Hiking from Grafton Notch in ME to Rattle River in NH in one day with a heavy pack? It took me 3 days in 1974 when I was in good shape. Two days maybe. Still I liked the PCT account.

Hey, Ryback was 18 when this was written - what 18 year old isn't prone to being a bit over the top?

earlyriser26
09-25-2007, 05:58
I just think at 18 and even younger he made too great hikes. Why make stuff up? I've only hiked about 1,000 miles of the A.T., but I'm proud of that fact and will never tell anyone I've hiked 1,000 and 1.

Roland
09-25-2007, 06:22

It is interesting to read a book when some of the characters are familiar names. For instance, there are a number of Whiteblaze members, mentioned in the book. Others names I recognized from Trek and Walking with Freedom. Both these movies were filmed in 2003, the year Awol hiked the Trail.

I liked the book too, but Awol certainly wasn't a "typical" thru hiker in terms of daily mileage... or number of bear-sightings. :D And not very smart about hiking with his wife in MA. D'oh.

T2, welcome back to WB, and congratulations on the completion of your goal.

You're right about Awol, when you say his mileage wasn't typical. He completed his hike in 146 days, averaging 14.88 miles a day (taken from Trailjournals). My impression is that he was very focused, and determined to complete his journey without being away from his girls any longer than necessary.

I can't comment on your reference to Mass. I'm still in Pen Mar. :D

earlyriser26
10-16-2007, 11:02
I just read this book. WOW! I always Knew mountain climbers were crazy. talk about a death wish. These guys could have died a dozen times. Great story.

Marta
10-16-2007, 11:24
I just read this book. WOW! I always Knew mountain climbers were crazy. talk about a death wish. These guys could have died a dozen times. Great story.

I just read that one a couple of weeks ago. What a read! I had to stop reading it before bed because it was too scary to even think about at night. Whew!

rafe
10-16-2007, 11:58
Jan Liteshoe's "Ordinary Adventurer" is one of the very best.

Ewker
10-16-2007, 12:17
I just got Jan's book yesterday. Can't wait to start reading it

warraghiyagey
10-16-2007, 12:33
Best hiking book I've ever read by far, "Take Me With You" by Brad Newsham. This is a must read for hikers. The great thing about the book is it is also a must read for those who never hike.:) :) :)

Uncle Silly
10-16-2007, 15:18
"A Season on the Appalachian Trail", by Lynn Setzer.
http://www.amazon.com/Season-Appalachian-Trail-American-Official/dp/0897323823/ref=ed_oe_p/105-4152906-1598843

Good book; not written by a thru-hiker, but follows several thrus during the 1996 hiking season. Don't expect a thru-hiker memoir.

Christopher Robin
12-15-2007, 18:23
The AT Trail Onward to Katahdin by Jan D. Curran, is his personal count for the AT. & the different people he meets on his jouny. I verymuch enjoyed it.

double d
12-16-2007, 04:43
One of my favorites is Colin Fletcher's book, "Thousand Mile Summer". Great read.

Jim Adams
12-16-2007, 09:04
AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE by David Brill is my favorite AT book. It is excellent writings about a late '70's thru hike. I have an extensive hiking library but so far this book reflects the feelings that both of my thru hikes made me feel inside.
Model T has 2 very good reads and I have yet to read Jan's book...can't wait after hearing all of the reviews.

geek

nhalbrook
12-16-2007, 22:11
Am reading the below - it is great. Update the fabrics used and you are in the here and now. Loaded with practical info for anyone spending time alone in the wilderness hiking or not.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39290650&memberId=12500226

Two volumes in one, Camping and Woodcraft is the primer for all your camping skills and history. Originally published in 1906 it was expanded in 1917. While some of the materials in the book are dated others remain surprisingly relevant. This is one of the best selling camping books of all time. It is a manual on how to camp and have great time in the woods. It provides an in depth look at all aspects that made up camping back in the day. Horace Kephart was an outstanding woodsman and and even better writer. He has been called the 'Thoreau of the southern mountains'. Subtitled 'A Handbook For Vacation Campers And For Travelers In The Wilderness'. This maybe the best overall camping book ever published.

23 Chapters
Extensive cooking tips
All about campfires
Extensive tent section
Making a Camp
Tips on bugs and other camp pests
Clothing tips
Introduction by Jim Casada
Binding - Paper
Author - Horace Kephart
Pages - 479
Publisher - University of Tennessee Press
Year - Facsimile Edition 1988
ISBN - 9780870495564.

Miner
01-17-2010, 15:12
I just finished reading Just Passin' Thru: A Vintage Store, the Appalachian Trail, and a Cast of Unforgettable Characters by Winton Porter and found it very humorous and entertaining. It's written by the current owner of Mountain Crossings. It isn't so much about hiking the AT as its about some of the characters that hike it and have passed through Mountain Crossings over the last several years.

superman
01-20-2010, 18:04
Congratulations...you can now get Small Worlds book about his hike in 2000. The impressive thing about this book is there is one chapter about me. There's a lot of blah, blah, blah other stuff too. Here's his site. ;) http://www.rememberthecarrot.com/

YoungMoose
01-20-2010, 18:06
Just finished read yesterday Nature Noir by Jordan Fisher Smith. it was about his expieriences as a park ranger at the American River

Bronk
01-21-2010, 03:31
I recommend any of Calvin Rutstrum's books. Also One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey by Sam Keith.

jrwiesz
01-21-2010, 05:36
The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher is about backpacking solo...

Other great Colin Fletcher books: "The Man Who Walked Through Time", and "The Man in the Cave":sun

Connie
01-21-2010, 19:29
Calvin Rutstrum: Paradise Below Zero, Wilderness Cabin, North American Canoe Country

David@whiteblaze
01-30-2010, 20:48

umm, Semptember 11, 2003?

FeedBag2009
03-17-2010, 20:55
If anyone is interested I'm selling these nine books together at 1/2 price. I read these to prepare for my 2009 thru-hike! (3/29-9/5) Good times :) Here's the list prices...

Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike Planner (ATC) $8.95
Long-Distance Hiking (Mueser) $16.95
Awol on the AT (Miller) $15.95
Walking With Spring (Shaffer) $8.95
A Walk For Sunshine (Alt) $15.95
The AT (Curran) $14.95
The AT Hiker (Logue) $14.95
How To ***** In The Woods (Meyer) $9.95
The Ultralight Backpacker (Kestenbaum) $15.95)

Grand total of $122.50 in books.

Half that plus $4 shipping and they're all yours for $65.

One stop shop. Email me! Chrishennig (at) gmail.com

Check out my hiking blog if you're interested (always under development...)

2200miles.com/2009

Thanks for your interest!

-Chris

Safety Pins
03-18-2010, 13:27
"Walking the Appalachian Trail," by Larry Luxenberg.

sasquatch2014
03-19-2010, 08:42
Currently enjoying K1ypp's book 300 Zeros. Has a great style to it and very enjoyable.

TMC
03-19-2010, 09:01
"Ten Million Steps" by E.J. Eberhart is a great book as well.

VisionQuest

Garlic
04-06-2010, 02:24
As far as the eye can see

Tilly
04-08-2010, 12:09
"Alone in the Appalachians" by Monique Dykstra (it's about the Int'l AT)
I really love this book.

"Over the Hills" by David Lamb
About a LD bike ride

"The Thru Hikers Guide to America" by E. Schlimmer

Disney
04-08-2010, 13:13
My favorites have already been mentioned, but I'll restate.

As Far as the Eye Can See
10 million steps
Walking on the Happy Side of Misery

amac
04-21-2010, 06:43
Does anyone know of any good recent hiking-related books? The most recent I've read was Skywalker (2007).

Miner
04-21-2010, 21:46
Does anyone know of any good recent hiking-related books? The most recent I've read was Skywalker (2007).

Is Skywalker any good? I hiked with him for a short while on the PCT last year and I've been meaning to check out his AT book.

Cookerhiker
04-22-2010, 00:08

Check this out: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58070

The author will be selling her book at Trail Days.

amac
04-22-2010, 06:28
Is Skywalker any good? I hiked with him for a short while on the PCT last year and I've been meaning to check out his AT book.

I think Skywalker's book is in the same league as AWOL's. Both are excellent.

jrwiesz
04-24-2010, 01:45
I hope the volumes I purchased off ebay don't disappoint.

I'm told there are some valuable stories to be heard. :sun

Hikes in Rain
04-24-2010, 07:52
They won't, I promise. I just finished them a couple of months back, and I'm already searching out sections I remember to reread.

J-Fro
04-24-2010, 09:14

Not at all trying to be a smart alcik, but the title is "The Ordinary Adventurer" by Jan Leitschuh. Couldn't locate the above name, so wanted other to be able to fine it easier. Thanks for the tip, I'm ordering it.

Luddite
06-08-2010, 14:06
The Last Season
A vagabond for beauty

Skywalker
05-17-2011, 16:05
Eric Ryback's account of attempting to hike the PCT southbound in 1970 is a classic. Yes, he may have skipped some sections of the desert. But his vivid description of the snow he faced in the northern Cascades and having to navigate the trail on a daily basis was classic. And he was only eighteen. Wow

Skywalker--Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail

I too enjoyed Eric Ryback's account of his PCT hike. I will concede some of it seems to be the result of "poetic license" or possibly pure exageration.

If you have any interest in young people and bicycling, check out "Hey Mom, Can I Ride My Bike Across America?" by John Seigel Boettner. It's the account of husband and wife teachers who lead a group of 5 young teens on a self-supported bicycle trip across the country. Reminicent of Peter Jenkin's "Walk Across America" and "The Walk West" (also recommended) this book spends considerable time recounting the interactions the group had with the folks they met along the way.

Also recommend "Ten Million Steps" by M. J. Eberhart (Nimblewill Nomad)

Skywalker
05-17-2011, 16:08
I think Skywalker's book is in the same league as AWOL's. Both are excellent.

Just remember--my books are often about what NOT to do out there. But that's important too. Right?

Skywalker--Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail
--Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail

Skywalker
05-17-2011, 16:13
As mentioned by a couple peeps, Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods" is fantastic. I have it on audio book and I swear my play count for the entire thing is like 15, and it's five hours long. I swear I laugh out loud at parts.

Bill Bryson, A walk in the woods = A+

:)

I wholeheartedly agree. It's debatable just how good of a guy Bryson is. But his writing talent is without parallel in the hiking community. I've not only read his books; I've studied them. And just as, for example, he will never be as tall as me (I'm 6'11"), I'll never be as good of a writer. I just wish he would show a little more loyalty to the hiking community, given how good we have been to him.

Skywalker--Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail, Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail

Skywalker
05-17-2011, 16:16
Try Model T's books. He has thru hiked a few times and I met him in 06 and found he was a really neat guy as well as a good writer. History plus just a good read in most of them.

I've met Model T at various trail and writer events--one of the most authentically nice guys in the Trail community. Better yet, he is truly knowledgeable about a vast array of topics (a polymath). Hopefully, he'll keep hiking and keep writing.

Skywalker

k1ypp
08-27-2012, 21:37
My wife, Jane, trailname: K-Fun (http://janevblanchard.com/), recently released her new book, Women Of The Way: Embracing the Camino (http://womenoftheway2011.com/). It is a look at the women that hike the 500 mile Camino de Santiago in Spain. We hiked it together in 2011 and she was so entralled with the women that met along the way, she put their stories into a book. It is a good read and women, especially women interested in hiking the Camino, have been her biggest audience thus far. It is in print (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1475247419/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=threhundzero-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1475247419) and on all the Ereaders, such as Kindle (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008G1VA2W/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=threhundzero-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008G1VA2W) and Nook (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/women-of-the-way-jane-v-blanchard/1112316839?ean=2940044719989).

I'm also working on my book about the Camino, but it is more along the lines of my first book, Three Hundred Zeroes: Lessons of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1450557465/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=threhundzero-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1450557465). It has plenty of humorous moments, but no bear encounters this time (especially naked encounters). Jane's book will serve to keep me honest.

Skywalker's book on the Camino, The Best Way (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1467960225/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=threhundzero-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1467960225), is a must read as well, check it out.