PDA

View Full Version : Dicks sporting goods

strnorm
09-07-2007, 21:51
Kingsport is finally getting a dicks sporting goods store, johnson city also, now i dont have to go to mahoneys:)

Midway Sam
09-07-2007, 21:55
Don't get too excited unless you like low line Kelty packs, and 8 pound Columbia and Slumberjack sleeping bags. We used to have Galyan's here and Dicks bought them. Dick's sucks.

Jester2000
09-07-2007, 22:39
Don't get too excited unless you like low line Kelty packs, and 8 pound Columbia and Slumberjack sleeping bags. We used to have Galyan's here and Dicks bought them. Dick's sucks.

No, don't pussyfoot around the issue. Tell us how you really feel about Dicks.

Cuffs
09-07-2007, 23:09
They are ok for somethings, but not others... I found a great pair of TNF fleece pants on the clearance rack last month... New $55, sale, $10.50. Great for wearing around the house in the winter!

Also got my Nite-Ize for my hammock there, when no one else carried them...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-07-2007, 23:14
We are getting a Dick's here as well. I have been there to buy weight lifting equipment for he-dino and to buy some sports equipment for the grandkids, but they really don't have much of anything for backpackers. Their camping line is for hunters and car / boat campers mostly. No smartwool socks, no superfeet insoles, and a very limited selection of appropriate tents / sleeping bags / pads / gear. Dick's isn't a backpacking outfitter by any means - it is a generic sports gear outlet.

wakapak
09-07-2007, 23:16
Thats so true....I at first thought i had found a backpacking outfitter when i first moved south at Dicks, but was disappointed. But, they did provide me with some running gear and paintball equipment that i needed! So i guess I can't complain really!

Cuffs
09-07-2007, 23:17
I got a heck of a deal on a new deer rifle last year. They aint all bad...

Tennessee Viking
09-08-2007, 00:18
Kingsport is finally getting a dicks sporting goods store, johnson city also, now i dont have to go to mahoneys:)Don't get too excited...As it says its sporting goods. I only been in one Dicks, down in Knoxville. It is pretty similiar to Knoxville Sports / Sports Unlimited before it got bought out. Its mainly your traditional sporting good equipment. Baseball, football, bikes, guns, excercise equipment, midline camping/hiking equipment like any other retailer. A lot of it was stuff you can find at Target and WalMart, cheap stuff thats been marked up.

I am just hoping the rumors of Mast General coming to Kingsport/Johnson City are still in works. Because I found my Kelty pack at Mast 25 percent less than Mahonneys. And Mahonneys is a scrooge when it comes to discounts. First couple times this year, I was able to just say i was with the Eastman Club, and i got my discount. Since then, I have been asked to show them some ID for the club.

I have gone up to Mtn Sports Ltd., and I found some of their Keltys and water gear 10-20% less than Mahonneys. Mt Rogers is always a deal.

CoyoteWhips
09-08-2007, 00:49
Where I live, the local stores for camp shopping are, in order of useful gear for me:

Walmart
Dicks
Kmart
Dollar Store
Target
CVS

I recently made the pilgrimage to REI in Reading, Mass. Nice store, but I was disappointed in how few ultralight packs were in stock.

I've bought all of my hiking shirts at Dicks. However, I haven't seen much in the way of a good base layer at any of the local stores. 'Round these parts, all men's underwear is made of cotton. I may try the local ski shop, when the season hits.

Dollar store was good for socks, pouches of tuna, windshield shade sleeping pads.

Given a choice, I'll buy at a local specialty shop over a big box store. I'll buy anywhere locally over a web shop. I'd rather buy from the manufacturer on the web, instead of Amazon.

If all else fails, I'll google what I want and order online.

Cuffs
09-08-2007, 00:51
I've bought all of my hiking shirts at Dicks. However, I haven't seen much in the way of a good base layer at any of the local stores. 'Round these parts, all men's underwear is made of cotton. I may try the local ski shop, when the season hits.

Id try the ski shop now, before it becomes "in season" and the price goes up...

aaroniguana
09-08-2007, 01:01
I got my Merrells at Dicks up here. Of course, it went like this:

20 minute wait...

Me: Could I get a pair of New Balance 810s in 10 please?
Clerk: Huh?
Me: New Balance 810s in size 10.
Clerk: What color?
Me: You only carry them in one color.

20 minutes pass...

Clerk: Here you go (hands me New Balance 461 size 13 in black leather)
Me: Could I speak to a manager please?
Clerk: Sure!

20 minutes pass...

Manager: How may I help you (direct eye contact and smug smile)
Me: (recounts previous hour in footwear dept while manager is a mannekin, doesn't break eye contact or change facial expression... or blink).

Manager: (without moving) We're out of that item, may I suggest Merrell MOAB Ventilators in a 9 1/2? The run a little large. Sorry we only have them in Walnut...

Me: Wow, you know your inventory, you should work in footwear.

Manager: I started at Dicks in footwear 3 months ago, it's the reason I'm on Prozac.

I swear she was either on a high dose of Prozac or was a Stepford Wife. I bought the shoes AND a Coleman Tioga 3 tent on sale.

Cuffs
09-08-2007, 01:03
I
I swear she was either on a high dose of Prozac or was a Stepford Wife. I bought the shoes AND a Coleman Tioga 3 tent on sale.

Stepford Wife!! thats classic!!

aaroniguana
09-08-2007, 01:08
Yeah I respect anyone who can float on that heavy a cushion of anti-depressant and still be high-functional...

warraghiyagey
09-08-2007, 02:12
No, don't pussyfoot around the issue. Tell us how you really feel about Dicks.

He mentioned Dick's. And then something about sucking.:confused:

Nest
09-08-2007, 02:16
Dick's is good for some stuff. They carry a couple of decent stoves like the Pocket Rocket, and a couple others that are common for backpackers. Plus they carry the canister fuel cheaper than anywhere else I have seen. They have those 3 packs of Outdoor Research Helium stuff sacks that I love. Nice selection of headlamps and flashlights. Thay have platypus bladders, nalgene bottles, and nalgene containers. They also have water purification tablets and filters. So they don't have a lot of the high end specialty gear like REI, but they have a lot of the small stuff. The stuff that isn't worth a 30 minute drive or more to REI for. About 1/3 of my gear for my thru next year came from Dicks.

CoyoteWhips
09-08-2007, 07:04
Id try the ski shop now, before it becomes "in season" and the price goes up...

Sadly, the only local one I know of is closed for business until it snows. It's really more likely that I'll order some silks online from www.wintersilks.com or http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=40252 and catch the ski shop at the end of the season when they want to unload stock.

Toolshed
09-08-2007, 08:14
I worked for about a year and a half at Dick's almost 20 years ago, just when they were starting to make their foray into Western NY. This was when they were still located in HQ'd in Binghamton NY.
They had a very close association with Eureka and Camptrails (also then out of Johnson City/Binghamton).
Mr Stack's(Dick) son Ed, was taking over then and it was still a great place to work. They had a code LARCHMOUNT whose letters stood for 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0. respectively. On the price tags, under the price you would see the letters, so if the price was $79.99, you might see RUOL and you knew the store cost was then $38.71. Employee cost was 10% above the store price. It was not only a great deal, but you also got the opportunity to have pro-deals.
I got a lot of gear back then from MSR, Kelty, Eureka, Coleman, Cascade, Backpacker's pantry Alpineaire, Jansport and other manufacturers at very steep discounts.
Back to the subject though. Dick's lost it's touch when it went major, Moved to Pittsburgh and Ed sold out most of the company. I still go in there for a few items, but try to avoid them.

Dicks did try a foray into high end gear around 1997-98. They went whole hog on TNF and Lowe Alpine (LA). They mad massive purchases. I still chuckle about it, because for the next two years all you saw were the big TNF and LA displays in their stores with dwindling merchandise first current, then one year old and then 2 years old... At some point they realized they couldn't compete with the higher end gear stores and got out of that business and also apparently cut their ties with Eureka (Johnson Camping/Johnson Worldwide) and started selling low end camping gear from "Rokk" alongside MSR, Coleman, Kelty and others.

oldfivetango
09-08-2007, 09:41
Before I would go to a Dicks or a Walmart looking for something
specifically hiking related I find it SO MUCH EASIER to shop at
Campmor or REI or GOOGLE up what I am looking for.

In just a day or two a big brown truck arrives and the nice
person driving it actually lays it at my door without me ever
leaving the house!! What a great system we have!!

Who needs anything else?
Oldfivetango

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-08-2007, 09:52
Well, if I know exactly what I need, O5T's system works. But for some things - packs and shoes come immediately to mind - I need to try them on and wear them a bit. I also have gone to my local outfitters (we are blessed with two great and one good outfitter within 20 miles) to get something and seen something even better while there. Long live the local outfitter.

mixinmaster
09-08-2007, 14:42
I have gone up to Mtn Sports Ltd., and I found some of their Keltys and water gear 10-20% less than Mahonneys. Mt Rogers is always a deal.

Just came back from Mt. Rogers a few minutes ago.......... Best deal overall in the Tri- Cities:D............ Mt. Sports and Mahonneys have always been sub par when it came to pricing/discounts, even years ago. The stores are larger but when you take away all non- backpacking gear and clothing, you are left with over-priced, over-weight gear sold by unqualified, misinformed sales staff caught up in their off campus ETSU social moment.:(

Jack Tarlin
09-08-2007, 14:50
One can often save money buying from a large chain store, but in my experience, the level of knowledge on the part of the staff is not as good as at small, independently owned stores, or smaller chains. Mahoney's is actually a very fine store, with some really good people on staff. I'd rather spend a few extra dollars at a small independent store, happy in the knoweldge that my pack, boots, and other things were fitted properly, and sold to me by people who actually knew what they were talking about. At a big chain store, this is often NOT the case.

Topcat
09-08-2007, 15:55
I guess a lot depends on your personal experience. I have never had any problems at Dick's but have always known exactly what i wanted. My local REI is awsome with great people. Harper's Ferry's outfitter is easy drive and awsome as well. I get the best of all worlds.

Working in Customer service, i do cut many a break as i have had many a customer rip my head off for things i couldnt control, like the weather. It is hard and getting harder to get good people to work for you.

Best advice is, find a place you like, buy from them, and dont worry about what other's say.

halftime
09-08-2007, 16:09
Kingsport is finally getting a dicks sporting goods store, johnson city also, now i dont have to go to mahoneys:)

Thanks for posting this. Dicks is coming to Dallas also and have been curious what they are about. They will have lots of competition with REI, Back Woods, Outdoor World, Cabela's (and others).

Jim Obermeyer
09-08-2007, 16:56
One can often save money buying from a large chain store, but in my experience, the level of knowledge on the part of the staff is not as good as at small, independently owned stores, or smaller chains. Mahoney's is actually a very fine store, with some really good people on staff. I'd rather spend a few extra dollars at a small independent store, happy in the knoweldge that my pack, boots, and other things were fitted properly, and sold to me by people who actually knew what they were talking about. At a big chain store, this is often NOT the case.

It's like you say Jack, Mahoney's is a real fine store. There staff went out of there way to fit me with a hiking shoe for my screwed up feet. I think Dick's Sporting Goods will be an asset for Kingsport and the area but Mahoney's will still good great. I like the hiking shop in Damascus. I think it's called Mt. Rogers. They seem to be real nice people.

fehchet
09-08-2007, 18:22
I like Mahonneys. They spent 2 hours fixing my Osprey Ather 75 even though I had not purchased it there. They changed the harness from large to medium -- no charge. I've had nothing but good service from these folks over the years, even though their prices may be out of whack sometimes -- but not always. (MRP)

Bluehaus71
09-09-2007, 00:40
Don't get me started on the "Dick's bought out Galyans." I'm still not over it. I guess I take my angst toward that whole deal out on Dick's when they are just doing what they do.....Sporting Goods. I sure do miss Galyan's though. I get the bulk of my gear online now-a-days.

Just a Hiker
09-09-2007, 00:55
Hey all! We have Dick's up here in Maine, and you can get some good deals on stuff like socks and lightweight shirts....ect., but thats where I draw the line. For the "Big Ticket" items like packs and sleeping bags...ect., I would only use the small independent outfitters just for the reasons Jack explained. However, if I ever need a 20 person tent.....Dick's is the place for me!! (Ha! Ha!) Take care,

Just Jim

mweinstone
09-09-2007, 04:33
my dic* dosnt need sporting goods.

CoyoteWhips
09-09-2007, 15:35
Hey all! We have Dick's up here in Maine...

I like taking a drive up to Maine a couple times a year for outlet shopping. Kittery Outpost has some good gear. L.L. Bean is worth the trip all by itself, just for the massive square footage.

After reading this thread, I made it a point to go to Eastern Mountain Sports in Acton, Mass., today. Chatted for a long time EMS associate, Drew. We covered my Big Three. He showed me the packs in stock and we talked about the local trails.

I'm amused and a little flattered that he got out the maps and showed me the AT sections in New Hampshire with the most strenuous elevation changes for section hikes.

Just a Hiker
09-09-2007, 16:15
Hey Coyote. EMS is my favorite! The stores are usually small, and the employees are all knowledgeable and willing to help a person spend their money wisely. I like LL Bean as well, but only on the internet. That big store in Freeport stresses me out. Too much going on all at once and too many people, but thats my personal issue. Anyway, you should try the EMS in North Conway, NH. My favorite! Take Care,

Just Jim

D'Artagnan
09-10-2007, 09:24
I've picked up some decent tennis racquets at Dick's and a golf balls at a decent price but I get my hiking gear elsewhere. Still, it's a fun store to browse in.

Mags
09-10-2007, 12:06
The big-box type stores are decent for odds and ends (like the "blue foam pad" I use now. The generic pads are hard to find. Discount stores stock them..and curiously high end mountaineering stores. Go figure)

The best deals from these stores are at the end of ski season IMO. Fleece hats, gloves, long underwear, snowshoe poles (perfect for hiking poles) all very inexpensive at the end of season.

Otherwise? I rarely go to these places.

bulldog49
09-10-2007, 14:05

Agree, I loved Galyan's but Dick's is virtually useless as a source for backpacking gear.

Cindy from Indy
09-10-2007, 14:32
We used to have Galyan's here and Dicks bought them. Dick's sucks.

I miss Galyan's SO much! We would rent camping and hiking equipment before we bought it. They didn't charge much and were very knowledgeable and helpful. When you had a question about an item, they knew their stuff.

I'm with ya man, Dick's sucks!

My 2cents.

ki0eh
09-10-2007, 14:35
We got a $50 chit from my wife's work for Dick's once. She said, oh, I'll just put that towards new hiking boots. They DIDN'T SELL WOMEN'S HIKING BOOTS at that time, only men's(!!!). We wound up buying a large cheap car-camping tent that we could sleep in together with the pack-n-play for baby too, except the fly was too small to actually keep any rain out...

chiefdaddy
09-10-2007, 14:42
The big-box type stores are decent for odds and ends (like the "blue foam pad" I use now. The generic pads are hard to find. Discount stores stock them..and curiously high end mountaineering stores. Go figure)

The best deals from these stores are at the end of ski season IMO. Fleece hats, gloves, long underwear, snowshoe poles (perfect for hiking poles) all very inexpensive at the end of season.

Otherwise? I rarely go to these places.

NO JOKE!!! I just wanted a thin blue pad and REI I guess wont sell cheap stuff anymore lmao that's too funny! I have Three REI stores/ Dicks/ Bass and a ton of small stores, I end up ordering from Campmor and going to REI for everything else. Or my friends Walmart and Target lol

Peaks
09-10-2007, 17:16
I like taking a drive up to Maine a couple times a year for outlet shopping. Kittery Outpost has some good gear. L.L. Bean is worth the trip all by itself, just for the massive square footage.

After reading this thread, I made it a point to go to Eastern Mountain Sports in Acton, Mass., today. Chatted for a long time EMS associate, Drew. We covered my Big Three. He showed me the packs in stock and we talked about the local trails.

I'm amused and a little flattered that he got out the maps and showed me the AT sections in New Hampshire with the most strenuous elevation changes for section hikes.

Drew thru-hiked about 2 years ago. You also have an EMS in Marlboro, and New England Backpacker in Worcester. NEB is a good local outfitter not only for backpacking but also kayaking and nordic skiing.

The Weasel
09-10-2007, 17:21
Before I would go to a Dicks or a Walmart looking for something
specifically hiking related I find it SO MUCH EASIER to shop at
Campmor or REI or GOOGLE up what I am looking for.

In just a day or two a big brown truck arrives and the nice
person driving it actually lays it at my door without me ever
leaving the house!! What a great system we have!!

Who needs anything else?
Oldfivetango

OFT has a very good point. Almost alone among the "bigs", Campmor is a totally hiker-friendly operation, right down to the TP/Catalog. I view them as my "small, good, close relationshp" outfitter when I can't get to my real one or for things they can't supply me with. Campmor is good people.

The Weasel

Mags
09-10-2007, 17:29
right down to the TP/Catalog.

Campmor's catalog is by far the best bathroom reading material for just about any backpacker. :)

I love Campmor. I think i've ordered more gear from Campmor than any other catalog company. As I type, I have a Campmor rain jacket (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39295825&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1) on the back of my chair.

CoyoteWhips
09-10-2007, 17:46
Drew thru-hiked about 2 years ago. You also have an EMS in Marlboro, and New England Backpacker in Worcester. NEB is a good local outfitter not only for backpacking but also kayaking and nordic skiing.

Now I am Worcester bound...

mudhead
09-10-2007, 18:10
Was in Dick's in Bangor, ME today. They had Frogg Toggs. Pro Action I think.

Suprised me. Anyone know where I can find just the jacket? The pants are funny.

I have a gift card from last Christmas I need to use...

Toolshed
09-10-2007, 19:43
I used to work about 1/4 mile from the new EMS in Marlboro. Makes a great weekly lunchtime destination. I also tried to give as much business to NEB when I lived in that area. It is hard though because the small size of the store doesn't allow him to carry a lot of stock. But I would find myself going there whenever possible to buy in-stock items, He was also really the only one in the area (I used to live by Mt. Wachusett) that I knew of that had backcountry ski gear.

SteveJ
09-10-2007, 22:01
I occassionally walk through Dick's, thinking fondly about the Galyon's store they replaced.... I got a notice from Galyon's once that I was their "customer of the month." Skeptically, I called the manager as instructed, and was informed that I could stop by any time and pick up my $100 gift certificate! That's when I picked up the Leki Makalu's that I'd been looking at lustfully for a couple of years...still carry them and usually think fondly of Galyon's at some point on every trip!

If I were a golfer, hunter, fisherman, or played a lot of paintball, I might spend some money in Dick's - not sure as I haven't compared their prices to other box stores that supply this gear...I suspect that Bass Pro Shop (which is also near me) has better prices for some of the same gear.....

Smile
09-11-2007, 00:00
They sometimes have Frogg Toggs on sale, I got a nice pair ( don't use the pants) a few years ago, fuzzy but working fine. ;)

Landshark
09-14-2007, 20:20
At the Dick's here in Rutland I have found some basic camp gear (e.g., cheap pack towel) and some clothing on clearance but not much else. I tried to return some broken yaktrax and they would not exchange them because it was beyond their time limit for exchanges (60 days or something, I forget). I would've been better off without the receipt!!!!!!

I went in there once looking for gaiters. The guys all scratched their heads and one said, "Do you mean those plastic shoes?" DUH!

I much prefer EMS, they usually know what they are talking about in there, they actually know where everything is and what it is used for, and they have better stuff.