PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 4 day trip...

tbonehiker
09-08-2007, 11:52
I have been on many parts of the A.T. Never longer than 1 or 2 days at a time though. Taking my girlfriend on her first extended trip. I'm planning a 4 to 5 day trip in Mid-October. What would be a good section (40-60 miles) that we could tackle. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I had my hopes for Hot Springs area, but would take any advice. Actually any sections of the trail that you might think would be unique around that time....Thanks again!!!! Happy Hiking.....

Shutterbug
09-08-2007, 13:20
I have been on many parts of the A.T. Never longer than 1 or 2 days at a time though. Taking my girlfriend on her first extended trip. I'm planning a 4 to 5 day trip in Mid-October. What would be a good section (40-60 miles) that we could tackle. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I had my hopes for Hot Springs area, but would take any advice. Actually any sections of the trail that you might think would be unique around that time....Thanks again!!!! Happy Hiking.....

I will not advise about the section , but will advise on the 40 - 60 miles. I have taken a number of hikers on their frist extended hikes. Don't plan on 10 mile days for their first hike. In the mountains, wearing a back pack, 8 miles a day is about right for a first time hiker.

The second piece of advise is to check her backpack carefully. Most first time backpackers want to carry a lot more than they will need.

The third piece of advise is to make sure her sleeping bag is warm enough. It can get pretty cold in mid-October. There is nothing that will ruin a person's first impression of back packing as trying to sleep in cold weather with an inadequate sleeping bag.

Pacific Tortuga
09-08-2007, 14:13
I would start at Dennis Cove, TN. with Bob Peoples & Kincora Hostel and hike about 50 miles to Damascus, VA. or vice-versa.

There is good/safe parking at Dave's Place, the MRO hostel. They can shuttle you to Kincora or PM Lone Wolf and see if he can, for less $$.

Kerosene
09-08-2007, 15:45
Another nice hike that's not too difficult and provides a lot of incredible scenery is the 50 miles north of Damascus on the AT. Consider taking the Virginia Creeper Trail instead of the AT into town, which will prove easier and more scenic I think (alternatively, spend a day after the hike biking down the Virginia Creeper).

Rentman
09-09-2007, 12:16
I would take Shutterbugs advise............I have taken several first timers on the AT and would recommend short days, 10 miles or less. Check there backpack and make sure they have everything they need. Footwear is critical, blisters can kill a newbie. Make there time on the AT one to remember, not one they want to forget.:-?

gumball
09-09-2007, 15:18
I love VA, but there are a lot of climbs there for someone just starting out. I think MD would make a nice trip. Yes, a little rocky, but lots of neat historical things to see, and you can stop for your last day in Harper's Ferry, which is a neat little town. Heck, she could say she finished off a whole state in that amount of days.

I do agree on the sleeping bag warmth and number of miles. I was in a section of VA last October and we just about froze our bee-jeebers off. Thankfully we had been prepared for any temps, but trust me, we weren't necessarily expecting it. Warm sleeping bags, hat, gloves--all can make a big difference.

Have fun :) Gum

Nearly Normal
09-09-2007, 20:53
If the AT is not set in stone you might try about half of the Foothills Trail. The river section is fairly easy and the finest kind of eye-candy. First timers would have a great experience there. Finish at Oconee State park for that needed shower and safe parking. Shuttles are usually easy through FTC.

Nearly Normal

aaronthebugbuffet
09-09-2007, 21:37
I would start at Dennis Cove, TN. with Bob Peoples & Kincora Hostel and hike about 50 miles to Damascus, VA. or vice-versa.

There is good/safe parking at Dave's Place, the MRO hostel. They can shuttle you to Kincora or PM Lone Wolf and see if he can, for less $$.
Other than the falls and and hanging out with Bob that section really isn't that cool.

Pacific Tortuga
09-09-2007, 22:16
I thought they were looking for a semi-easy first hike, I didn't know being "cool" was a pre-requisite. I enjoyed it very much and if that is all you liked maybe we didn't hike the same Trail.

"There is beauty in everything but not everyone can see it" Buddhist monk or Lone Wolf ...... not sure. :)

Tennessee Viking
09-10-2007, 02:38
Depends on what your looking for. Tennessee/North Carolina have some good areas. Lots of views.

Dennis Cove, Elk River, Roan, Unaka.

I have known many couple hikers to do Unaka and Roan sections.

If you stop in at Kincora at Dennis Cove. The Peoples have a tree loft that is popular with couples.

aaronthebugbuffet
09-10-2007, 07:26
Check out the section between Carver's Gap and Dennis Cove Rd. It's about 40 miles and very senic.
Killer views on Grassy Ridge and Hump Mtns and cool trail along streams and waterfalls past 19E.
There are some pretty decent shelters in that section and good camping spots too.
Contact Bob @Kincora for a possible shuttle.
This is in the area of Hampton, TN or Roan Mtn.

mweinstone
09-10-2007, 07:29
check out the section between her head and her toes. its all good .

LIhikers
09-10-2007, 08:56
Check there backpack and make sure they have everything they need.

And also make sure they aren't carrying a lot of stuff they DON'T need. One of my wife's girlfriends once joined us for a 3 day trip. Neat the end of the first day she complained that her pack was too heavy and she couldn't carry it anymore. We switched packs and I couldn't believe how heavy hers was. She had packed all of the things she thought she "couldn't do with out" and as you can guess they were all things she didn't need out in the woods. Half way through the second day she bailed out of the trip and hitch hiked back to her car and has never been backpacking since.

Gray Blazer
09-10-2007, 09:39
Here's my idea for you. Get the guys at Bear's Den or someone near Davenport Gap to drop you off at Sterling Gap and then proceed about 2 miles up (not really steep) and camp at the top of Mt Sterling. There is a firetower up there which is great for viewing the leaves in the Max Patch region and the Eastern Ridge of the Great Smokies and the Balsams, etc. Next day Hike the Benton Mackaye to the Balsam Ridge trail and connect up with the AT at Tri-corner Knob shelter. Easy ridge walking all day above 5000 ft (or close to it). Next day go north on the AT to Davenport Gap Shelter or Davenport Gap. Beautiful ridge walking and mostly down hill except up to Mt Cammerrer from Low Gap ( visit the historic stone tower there-a lot of great leaf viewing and ridge walking). Next day hike down to Davenport Gap and leave your packs at the Bear's Den and hike about 5 miles up to Snowbird Summit with great views. Have your shuttler meet you up there or at Brown Gap downhill a few miles from Snowbird/Wildcat Top. Starts off easy and gets a little harder each day. Day 2 is long, but mostly level walking. Day 4 is harder, but should be easier if you leave your backpacks and take day packs.

tbonehiker
09-11-2007, 07:31
Thanks for all the good advice, I guess I failed to mention that I work at an outfitting store, so gear wise I am adequate in knowing what to and NOT to bring :) But the fact that she has never done a multi day hike does bother me....Don't want to make her first experience a last one....I will take all your advice to heart, should be an awesome trip....Hopefully one day I can convince her into doing it all at once!!!! Wishful thinking, but you never now what the future has in store....God bless ya and thanks so much.....

mudhead
09-11-2007, 12:01
Hide chocolate in your pack...

Soft TP or baby wipe thingys.