PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions on my new tent.

TripleG
09-08-2007, 16:08
Hi - got my first tent, and have a couple questions....

1. Do I need to do "sealing" on the seams, or are new tents ready to go when you buy them ?

2. If it is windy, do I set it up with my feet toward the wind since that is lower ??

It is a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1, if that makes any difference....

Thanks for any advice...

Mary

Just a Hiker
09-08-2007, 16:26
Hi there TripleG,

I have the SL1 also, and I really like it. I didn't seam seal mine, but I guess it wouldn't hurt. However, be careful with the floor of your tent because as I am sure you know, it's pretty delicate. A homemade footprint would probably be a good idea. Take care, Just Jim

Ps. The SL1 is on sale right now at EMS for $199.00...down from $240.00

woodsy
09-08-2007, 16:30
Hey TripleG,
The SL1 is ready to go, seams are sealed. If you look at the seams on the underside of the fly, you will see what looks like tape, that is a taped seam.
As far as the wind goes, you should be able to set it up in whatever direction you want as it is a fairly low profile tent. Just make sure it is staked down good.
Just bought one of these too.

woodsy
09-08-2007, 16:38
However, be careful with the floor of your tent because as I am sure you know, it's pretty delicate.Good point, cut out a piece of tarp or Tyvek big enough to fit under it for added protection,that would be one cheap solution.

TripleG
09-08-2007, 17:13
I bought the SL 1 footprint. Will that work, or are you saying to add an additional one to that ?

Thanks

Phreak
09-08-2007, 17:25
I bought the SL 1 footprint. Will that work, or are you saying to add an additional one to that ?

Thanks

The SL1 Footprint is fine. If you hadn't purchased it, you could have made your own with Tyvek.

gearfreak
09-08-2007, 20:25
I've been using the SL2 for some time now and love it. I found the stakes a bit difficult to work with and replaced them with these http://www.rei.com/product/627482. As previously stated, the seams are already sealed. As for the wind, I read a review on backpackgeartest.com and the tester stated that he felt it was best to position the back into the wind. I've not had the weather conditions to really test this myself. Play with it. Enjoy! :cool:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Big%20Agnes%20Seedhouse%20Superlight%20%202/

MrSparex
09-08-2007, 21:19
The SL is a great looking tent...I saw one set up at either Sundog or Mt Rogers Outfitters...don't recall which store. If I were forced to choose a tent it would be the SL or a MSR missing link. I was impressed with the expertise they have at Mt Rogers. I plan on section hiking and I have a sleeping bag at about 2 lbs 10 oz (20 degree) and a vapor trail thats a little over 2 lbs. I kinda gave up on tent shopping and ordered a Hennessey Expedition (with snake skins) and some titanium stakes. I weigh about 200 lbs. That puts my base weight at a very good start I think. I just don't want to go over 30 pounds. I'm still at a loss on what to do about water. I have been carrying the iodine and may stick with that. I've toyed with the idea of a Hiker pro filter...I just don't know where to draw the line there. I must admit that I'm still in the "lay awake and listen for twigs snapping" stage of hiking. I do like the little titanium alcohol stoves. I picked up a little lightweight MSR fuel bottle to go along with it at Gander Mtn. I don't post much but I love to watch y'all post about the things I go to sleep at night thinking about. My 10 year old son woke me up this morning wanting to go "yard selling" and woke me out of a dream about tents! Oh well.
....since I'm rambling....I bought my backpack for a long torso and it rides down my back a little. The guy at Mt Rogers said I needed a regular torso so I guess I measured wrong originally. The pack still feels good and since they are expensive packs I'm going to keep it I guess. I just realized I'm the proud owner of a short Thermarest inflatable that I don't need now, hmmmmm....Good night all you enthusiasts!

Joe8484
09-09-2007, 01:16
I just pick up the SL1 online for $170 at www.prolitegear.com (http://www.prolitegear.com). I should have it by tuesday for my trip to Batona Trail. The weather looks like it might get nasty so I will write a review once I get back.

mweinstone
09-09-2007, 04:32
you will die. unless you seal your seems.