PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Section Hike

onetake
11-05-2003, 18:22
Hello all,

A friend and I are planning to section Clingmans Dome to Fontana Dam. We plan to spend only two nights and three days on the trail.

I know many of you are familiar with this area. With the spacing of the shelters in the Smoky's, it seems like we will have to have at least one fairly long day (over 14 miles, and that is a lot for us)
How would you do it? Are some shelters nicer than others on this section. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Onetake

Lone Wolf
11-05-2003, 18:37
Hike Clingman's to Derrick Knob (10.1 miles)
Derrick's to Mollies Ridge (11.7 miles)
Mollies to Fontana Dam (10.6 miles) - 32.4 miles total

MedicineMan
11-05-2003, 22:54
Do as L.Wolf suggests,,,,we have done it several times this way without any problems...the first day is cake, the second day has two real climbs-Thunderhead/Rocky Top and then the Devils Tater Patch (at the end of the day), the third day only has the climb up Shuckstack that is mentionable....do note the lack of water on the ridgeline and with that said I hope you get the views we got last month....

Uncle Wayne
11-06-2003, 02:27
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=405

My wife and I did that section last year. The link above will take you to my journal entry if you're interested in reading what we did along that section.

chris
11-06-2003, 09:10
What Wolf said is good. But, as I like to see my words on screen, I'll add the suggestion to try to hike to Spence Field on the first day, adding another 6 miles or so on to the hike. This way, you get the great late light as the sun goes down on Rockytop. The Spence Field shelter is about 10-15 minutes down from Rocky Top. Of course, if you are planning on doing this hike anytime before mid April, you'll be hiking in the dark unless you are mightly spritely.

onetake
11-06-2003, 11:38
Thanks for the replies. I guess the distances on the map I was looking at were deceiving.

Uncle Wayne-- I read your trip report. We had similar weather when we did the Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap Section. Wet and foggy almost the whole way. Pecks Corner shelter was great but we found tricorner knob shelter to be in deplorable condition. Cosby knob was nice.

One more thing What is the correct distance between Newfound Gap and Clingman's Dome?

Thanks again!! Whiteblaze Rocks:D

Onetake

Lone Wolf
11-06-2003, 11:42
7.9 miles

onetake
11-06-2003, 14:17
Thanks L. Wolf. I appreciate the info.

Onetake

halibut15
11-06-2003, 22:04
Onetake,
I'll just agree with what everyone else is saying. Do watch out for the lack of water on the ridge around briar knob and thunderhead. I hiked this section this summer and we underestimated the lack of water and were in bad shape by the time we hit the next source. Good luck!

The Dangler