PDA

View Full Version : Pertex shell sleeping bag

saimyoji
09-08-2007, 23:01
Anyone own one? Comments? Critisisms?

mixinmaster
09-08-2007, 23:26
Carried the REI Sub Kilo from Springer to Damascus earlier this year............ Seemed to repel the small amount of moisture that built in my tent a few times. But I always worried about the actual toughness of the shell. The few times I slept in a shelter in it I put my rain fly down on the floor to keep from scuffing the bag. I don't know it it was neccesary or not. Overall I dig the bag.:)............

hopefulhiker
09-09-2007, 07:31
The back country blanket I have has a pertex shell.. Pretty good stuff.. breathes yet repels water for a little while... pretty light too..

totally Boagus
09-09-2007, 08:28
My Moonstone Lucid 800 bag is made with a Pertex shell. I find it meets my needs. As stated before the Pertex seems to repel "normal" condensation and moisture. As with any "light weight" gear I think you must use it gently and with care to increase it's life and durability

Roland
09-09-2007, 08:59
Pertex is a brand, just like Ford is a brand. And like Ford, Pertex makes a number of different "models".

As one of the major synthetic fabric manufacturers in the world, Pertex fabrics are used by many sleeping bag makers. Here are a few examples:

Western Mountaineering uses Pertex Microlite in it's Microfiber series.
Western Mountaineering uses Pertex Quantum in it's Extremlite series.
Feathered Friends offers bags in Pertex Endurance fabric.
Marmot uses Pertex Quantum in it's Ultralight series.There are other examples, but you get the idea. So when you ask if anyone has experience with Pertex shells, the answer is "yes", many of us have. However, the Pertex shell in my WM bag, is different than the Pertex in my wife's Marmot bag. Unless your question is about a specific Pertex "model", our responses will reflect a number of different fabrics.

Generally speaking, though, Pertex is regarded as a maker of good quality products.

saimyoji
09-09-2007, 09:16
Yes, Pertex in general, but the Microlight line in particular. Is the material very delicate? How does the durability compare to say "silky taffeta nylon" which I have in my current bag?

Roland
09-09-2007, 10:02
I may have mis-spoke, saimyoji. I was convinced that my WM bag was made of Pertex Microlight, but now I'm not so sure.

The WM website indicates that the Microfiber series is made from Microlite (notice the spelling difference). Although WM displays the Pertex logo on their website, the difference in the spelling of Microlight/Microlite raises some questions. A websearch for Microlite did not match with Pertex and any other synthetic fabric maker.