PDA

View Full Version : Winter activities

attroll
09-28-2002, 22:41
Now that we are within a month or so from the end of hiking season. I am curious as to what everyone else does during the winter months when they can’t get out and do as much hiking as they want?

For those of you who do not know I personally look forward to the first big snowfall so I can break out my snowmobile. That is my alternative to not hiking during the winter. They have their own trail system. Not as much exercise but it sure is a ball. I also do some snowshoeing.

Hammock Hanger
09-28-2002, 23:01
Of course since we have moved back to FLORIDA that becomes an expensive endeavor. Hiking in FL during the winter would be nice but it is also hunting season and I do not like to hike with guns going off. Hammock Hanger

DebW
09-29-2002, 07:50
I just keep hiking. Though snowshoes, crampons, and backcountry skies get added to the picture. And the pack get heavier. I live in the Boston area, so the White Mountains are the playground. My pet peeve in winter: people who hike without snowshoes and leave postholes in the trail!

SGT Rock
09-29-2002, 08:50
In the south we just keep hiking. An orange vest doesn't weigh too much and hikers are good folks on the average. There are some knuckleheads that hunt of course, but there are hikers that are just as bad (sans guns) so if you can deal with hikers, you can deal with hunters.

highway
09-29-2002, 09:03
Originally posted by Hammock Hanger
Of course since we have moved back to FLORIDA that becomes an expensive endeavor. Hiking in FL during the winter would be nice but it is also hunting season and I do not like to hike with guns going off. Hammock Hanger

Winter is the hiking season in Florida so come on down. At least it is the most pleasant time to go. Our voracious mosquito population is down, snakes in the palmettos are laying low and the depth of our Central Florida winter is like a mild autumn up north. HH, living further North does get it worse, though. The Florida Trail goes through areas where hunting takes place,that I am familiar with, like Ocala & Tosohatchee but they limit hunting to only certain days so we get a "shot" at it too. Plus all hunting is over in January till Spring so we have that time as well. I admit I also feel uneasy hiking in an area where the season is open, especially since all my gear is an unobtrusive color and I walk quite fast. But it is not the "guns going off" that concerns me as much as that distinctive "zingging" sound when it flies past!Even worse, I guess would be the sound you didn't hear.

Regardless, our trails are much more populated than those most of you are familiar with. And, any incline here which takes more that a few steps to summit, gives pause to turn, admire the view and marvel at the height.

Hammock Hanger
09-29-2002, 10:12
I went hiking yeaterday over at Gold Head Branch State Park, in memory of my friend who past away at 6 am. She was a big mucky muck with the Florida Trail in WPB. We use to hike every New Years for 3-4 days on the Myakka SP Loop.

There was this summit, man by the time I got to the top and caught my breath I was pleasantly suprised with a great view. :cool: Right!
However, it was a pleasant day and the running water from the spring was a nice sound. There was a large pond with lots of bird life. I was glad we went. It felt good to be on a trail with a pack on my back, even if it was just a day pack. We toasted my friend over a bottle of Gatorade and Water.

Hammock Hanger

highway
09-29-2002, 11:06
HH:
Its still to hot for me, cant seem to get to sleep quickly when I am sweltering, but its cooling quick. And where i hike, Tosohatchee, is drying out. I hate going through the dark, marshy areas, where you can hardly see your feet but, barring any hurracaine's wet wrath, the trail should be great soon. I'll admit that if there ever was an area where the Hennessey is ideal, its in wet, tropical [or sub-tropical] places. Can't wait for winter!

Hammock Hanger
09-29-2002, 11:45
The last ime I hike that area I had my 9 y/o son, my 16 y/o old daughter and her firend. (WOW, that was 10 years ago - how time flies!) I wasn't aware that the trail as it stood was right where they were re-routing a water source. The miles from the campsite to the railroad bed were very very wet. Trying to watch 2 teenagers keep from getting there feet wet was a riot. Finally they lost the battle and just slushed through. They still talk about it to this day. We got a nice picture of a fox that circled our campsite most of the night. Hammock Hanger

Singletrack
09-29-2002, 13:07
Here in North Georgia, I do alot of day hikes on the weekends.Or ride my mountain bike from Helen up to Tray Gap. Then back down the Hooch to Helen. Road biking is also good in the winter, if no ice.

chris
09-30-2002, 08:38
In Dec-Jan I'm heading overseas somewhere to hike and be a tourist in general. This winter it is either going to be Chile (Patagonia) or Nicaragua. I'm planning to hike year round in the Smokys to test out some new gear in cold and wet conditions.

MedicineMan
10-02-2002, 04:26
In upper east TN the hiking doesnt end unless the roads are extrememly covered with ice (rare these days)...some of my favorite hikes have included snow (remember melting snow for water while climbing the Roan on one of many trips over that bump)....but now I am through hiking my sections (Damascus to Sams Gap) over and over again. And now that I am up to Pearisburg I think (well hope) that winter hikes will be easier on the AT (compared to the Roan system, the Smokies, etc.)......agreed that the activity should never end...swam a mile earlier tonight and will bike tomorow just to stay ready for the next AT section!

slabfoot
11-06-2002, 15:25
for those considering a succesful winter trek.
http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/winter/wintcamp.shtml

abt 34 pages of excellent info.

chief
11-07-2002, 01:02
during the winter, i hike places close to home such as sipsey wilderness (NW alabama) and black creek trail (SE mississippi).

i've never had problems with hunters. i wear my orange and they don't mistake me for game. contrary to popular (and mostly ignorant) belief, they are not the irresponsible rednecks as they are normally portrayed. they have AT LEAST as much interest in the protection of nature and wildlife as hikers do.

Peaks
11-07-2002, 08:23
I looking forward to some ski marathons, including the Great Glen to Bretton Woods Adventure.

Great Glen is just north of Pinkham Notch at the base of the Auto Road, on the east side of Mt. Washington, and Bretton Woods is the big old hotel with the red roof just north of Crawford Notch near the base of the Cog Railway on the west side of Mt. Washington. The route goes around the Northern Presidential Range.

Jumpstart
11-07-2002, 09:11
Backcountry skiing in the Whites, snowshoeing, and when all else fails, running. Hey Peaks...Bretton Woods opens up on Saturday!

Kasandra
05-14-2018, 17:07
We used to go hiking for weeks!! with my family.

Traveler
05-15-2018, 06:59
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b2/91/13/b291131eff53b3578ea7083b77fce262.jpg

Perhaps something for the thread....