PDA

View Full Version : Water situation from Carver's Gap to Dennis Cove Rd

Rentman
09-09-2007, 11:27
Just got back from a hike from Carver's Gap to Dennis Cove Rd and want to report on the water situation.

Carver's Gap - water good
Two miles north of Carver's Gap - spring is moderate
Overmountain Shelter - water good
Overmountain Shelter to Mountaineer Falls Shelter - water good, Apple House shelter has water and several streams still have water. Jones Falls is still falling, barely. Watch for angry bees/yellow jackets just south of Jones Falls on the steps...........OUCH:eek: . Mountaineer Falls shelter has water.
Mountaineer Falls to Moreland Gap - water is good. Hardrock Cascades has plenty of water. Moreland Gap Shelter is down to a trickle into a 3 gallon bucket. I was able to pump out 10 liters from the bucket. This is located a good bit down the hill.
Moreland Gap to Dennis Cove Rd - all the streams are DRY.............

Hope this helps...........................:)

The Solemates
09-10-2007, 10:14
good report. was just there over labor day. i would add that there was also plenty of water at bradley gap. however, there is very little at roan mountain shelter. i pumped out of a small basin that had maybe 3 gallons.

karo
09-13-2007, 16:58
Thanks for the report. BTW how was the water between Overmountain and Apple House? Mainly Doll Flats and Bradley Gap??

karo
09-13-2007, 17:38
good report. was just there over labor day. i would add that there was also plenty of water at bradley gap. however, there is very little at roan mountain shelter. i pumped out of a small basin that had maybe 3 gallons.
Thanks, that's what I needed to hear! Maybe this Tropical (Humberto) storm will bring more relief.

Tennessee Viking
09-13-2007, 21:16
Just got back from a hike from Carver's Gap to Dennis Cove Rd and want to report on the water situation.

Carver's Gap - water good
Two miles north of Carver's Gap - spring is moderate
Overmountain Shelter - water good
Overmountain Shelter to Mountaineer Falls Shelter - water good, Apple House shelter has water and several streams still have water. Jones Falls is still falling, barely. Watch for angry bees/yellow jackets just south of Jones Falls on the steps...........OUCH:eek: . Mountaineer Falls shelter has water.
Mountaineer Falls to Moreland Gap - water is good. Hardrock Cascades has plenty of water. Moreland Gap Shelter is down to a trickle into a 3 gallon bucket. I was able to pump out 10 liters from the bucket. This is located a good bit down the hill.
Moreland Gap to Dennis Cove Rd - all the streams are DRY.............

Hope this helps...........................:)

How did the pipe look like at Doll Flats? I just installed in right before the long dry spell?

Reporting: I was just at Weedy Gap/Iron Mtn Gap. The pipe at the orchard south of Weedy is small but has a flow to it.

Found an unofficial spring north of Weedy Gap. About halfway through that new relocation is a small spring below the trail. Even without a pipe, it was flowing pretty good.

Tennessee Viking
09-13-2007, 21:18
Most of the mountain tops are going dry. Best water spot on Roan High right now is the rest rooms.

Rentman
09-13-2007, 22:18
I didn't get water at Doll Flats, met another hiker there ( said he was hiking the International Trail) that said there wasn't any water there???? I chatted for a couple of minutes and kept on going.............

Tennessee Viking
09-14-2007, 01:34
Now if we start losing the lower elevations, I am calling for a 'Hiker Rain Dance.'

Then if we start losing the waterfalls, I will admit Al Gore was right.