PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion Needed

Ron Haven
09-09-2007, 17:54
I have noticed that hiker get togethers are really fun and are really enjoyed.It seems as the hiker season winds down after Oct/Nov. Not to much is really going on until March when the north bounders start except the southern ruck at Wesser which is really great in mid January.

The 1st week in Dec might be a great time for a get together for a hiker Christmas.If so I know there would be dozens of places to have it.I talked to a few about this in the past and most are fond of the idea.If this could become something of intrest and you folks would consider Franklin.I have an Idea.I have friends who have meeting Halls which I could reserve one.

For all the faithful trail maintainers,ATC,trail angels,field editors,and people who donate their time freely for all of us who enjoy the A T.I could assist in lodging.

Phreak
09-09-2007, 19:36
Franklin isn't far for me - I'd be up for a December get-together.

Wonder
09-10-2007, 09:45
I'd try and get there!

Gray Blazer
09-10-2007, 10:30
My opinion is do it!

Waterfall
09-10-2007, 12:04
I work in Franklin and can possibly help with planning.

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 12:09

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 12:19
Impossible.:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 12:24

TOW
09-10-2007, 14:19
I'd like that idea Ron. Christmas is lonely for me usually, except for last year when Lone Wolf and Gypsy invited me over and fed me and showered me with gifts. That is one Christmas that I will never forget. I felt so good for more than a month after that.........Count me in some place.

Mags
09-10-2007, 15:14
It is how all these small get togethers started.

Just post it well in advanced, advertise on the boards (this one, trail forums, at-l, etc) and you'll be amazed at who comes.

Keep it simple, find a hiker friendly place (a hostel is great!) and take it from there.

It is how the ROCKIES RUCK started. A low-key hiker get together is always fun.

good luck!

gold bond
09-10-2007, 17:50
I would try and make it.....your only 4 hrs away! I did not get to make any gatherings this year so this would be cool.

Ron Haven
09-10-2007, 19:32
...........Thanks Wolf,come on and tell me your idea.I won't feel bad if you make fun of me.

If any one wants to talk to me about it [email protected] or 828-369-9086 is my home number.You can call me after 7pm.

This is something I would like to do for the ones who spend so much time to make the A T possible for all of us but It would be for everyone.Even a few south bounders will be coming thru about this time

Thanks to all the other good opinions from my friends. :banana

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 19:35
Thanks Wolf,come on and tell me your idea.I won't feel bad if you make fun of me.

If any one wants to talk to me about it [email protected] or 828-369-9086 is my home number.You can call me after 7pm.

This is something I would like to do for the ones who spend so much time to make the A T possible for all of us but It would be for everyone.Even a few south bounders will be coming thru about this time

Thanks to all the other good opinions from my friends. :banana

wasn't making fun of you at all. another poster, since deleted, was busting my chops on my opinion. i just felt a need to delete it. i'm all for a get together but others may find it's a tough time due to christmas.

MrSparex
09-10-2007, 21:10
Maybe we could find a spot near the trail and throw hot dogs a little Debbie's at a few southbounders! Just an idea....

MrSparex
09-10-2007, 21:12
excuse me....I meant...."hot dogs and Little Debbie's at a few southbounders"

Marta
09-10-2007, 21:45
It sounds like fun, Ron.

Marta/Five-Leaf

dixicritter
09-10-2007, 21:56
If it is done around a weekend that would work for us... kids in school and all that. :D

Sly
09-10-2007, 22:01
It could be the South's answer to Hiker Trashgiving!

Smile
09-10-2007, 23:08
Sounds like a great idea, i may be in that neck of the woods about then for family visits. Anything you do Ron would be awesome, your place is terrific, and I really appreciated the hospitality and shuttle when I was there in 06. :)

Ron Haven
09-11-2007, 01:24
If it is done around a weekend that would work for us... kids in school and all that. :DSaturday and Sunday in the 1st part of the month I thought would be great and maybe this wouldn't be involving family Xmas plans near the actual date.I have talked to one of the field editors about this and we were thinking about that would be best time.

I will ask tomorrow about reserving the Jay Cee Hall located real close to old Ingles.
It will seat 100 or more.Even if some want to do a section hike during this I could provide shuttles.

If we do this I hope as many trail friends that can will come.;) As quickly as a 1 or 2 days will have enough info. I think.This J C Hall has a kitchen.Just next door I have a shop with extra refrigerators for food storage.

Dancer
09-11-2007, 06:14
I'm in if you have it the weekend around the 9th. I'm working all other weekends in December. It sounds like it would be fun.

AW (Julie)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-11-2007, 06:36
We have 21 grandkids, 6.5 great-grandkids and nine adult :-? kids, I'm so busy from Thanksgiving to Christmas that I seriously doubt the Dinos will be able to attend. This from a blushing dino who once stripped off and bathed a protesting neighborhood child before realizing it wasn't one of her grandkids :D (In the dino defense, he was pretty muddy at the time)

However, I do think such a gathering around Christmas is a magnificent idea. Many hikers I know do not have children and / or spouses and the hiking community is their family. May I suggest it be called Hiker's Homecoming?

Marta
09-11-2007, 09:00
Many hikers I know do not have children and / or spouses and the hiking community is their family. May I suggest it be called Hiker's Homecoming?

And some of us would enjoy the comic relief of getting together with a bunch of crazy hikers sandwiched in between heavy-duty visits with family. (Those of you with elderly/ailing parents know what I'm talking about.)

Marta/Five-Leaf

Mother Nature
09-11-2007, 09:03
Smokestack and I would love to attend if it were held on Dec 8 weekend. Going to be heading to Germany for Christmas after that. Yahoo!!! Get to hug my boy as he comes back from Iraq!

Keep us posted and let us know if we can help in any way. Be glad to bring treats (Mother Nature's peppermint patties or coconut candy) to share. If folks are tired of those I can try something new. LOL

MN

Ron Haven
09-11-2007, 09:07
Smokestack and I would love to attend if it were held on Dec 8 weekend. Going to be heading to Germany for Christmas after that. Yahoo!!! Get to hug my boy as he comes back from Iraq!

Keep us posted and let us know if we can help in any way. Be glad to bring treats (Mother Nature's peppermint patties or coconut candy) to share. If folks are tired of those I can try something new. LOL

MN Seening your son I know that will be a great christmas present, Maricela Haven

D'Artagnan
09-11-2007, 09:49

MN

I don't know how anyone could ever tire of MN's Peppermint Patties -- they're AWESOME! Hoping they'll make an appearance at SORUCK '08. :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-11-2007, 09:54
And some of us would enjoy the comic relief of getting together with a bunch of crazy hikers sandwiched in between heavy-duty visits with family. (Those of you with elderly/ailing parents know what I'm talking about.)::: Dino holds up mirror to see if she resembles this remark :D :::
Can I come hide out among you if the heavy-duty kid visits get to be too much?:sun

Skidsteer
09-11-2007, 11:18
I'll do all I can to make it, Ron. Sounds like fun!

Ewker
09-11-2007, 11:28
I am up for it unless it is falls during Christmas week. Hoping to do Winding Stair Gap to Fontana between Christmas and New Yrs.

Rentman
09-11-2007, 16:04
I'm in............Really like to met some of ya'll. :banana

RadioFreq
09-11-2007, 16:23
It's these kind of discussions that make me wish I weren't living at 800' ASL. :(
My only solace is.......

:) T-minus 18 months and counting :)

chiefdaddy
09-11-2007, 18:12
Hey Ron you know Chief and i are always in! :D

Ron Haven
09-11-2007, 22:05
I didn't think it would be this hard to find an unbooked hall but I didn't strike out.The J C Hall was open for Sat Dec 1st & Sun 2nd.If we can work this,here goes.Anyone who want to come Fri night is ok.I reserved the hall for Sat.It seats about 50+ inside and outside has a large roof over a concrete pad with about 10 picnic tables.This has a nice grassy park about 3 or 4 acres.Amazonwoman I trie several places to have it on the weekend of the 8th but no luck.It may be possible to switch out.

Martha the sandwiches will be a great idea and if others could bring some food it would be great.All of you who can come please pass the word.For my part,I will pay the rent for the hall,bring some drinks,If some would like a 5 or 10 mile hike,I will help with shuttles.

All are welcome and I have rooms if anyone is intrested at regular hiker rates.You are welcome from other lodgings or if you are close enough to drive here and back home.Even if you come in campers is ok as long as everyone is happy.

As I mentioned.If you are a field editor,trail angel,trail maintainer, or people who go on and above to do special things donating their time and or money for the A T community.I want to do something special for you.Click on this link for details
http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=869#post869

Cheifdaddy,rentman,Skidster,Mother & Smoke Stack,Wonder,LWolf & Gypsy,Rock & Critter,Miss Janet,Marta,Only Wonderer,Amazon Woman,Dino,Mr Sparex,Smile,Sly hurry up,Gray Blazer,Phreak,Waterfall,Mags,Gold Bond,I really hope all of you can come and please pass the word to friends,south bounders, and our trail servants.

Ron Haven
09-12-2007, 10:18
I'll do all I can to make it, Ron. Sounds like fun!What do you think of a hike also?

Ron Haven
09-12-2007, 19:06
It could be the South's answer to Hiker Trashgiving!Sly,

you may have a good idea there.:D

Skidsteer
09-12-2007, 19:10
What do you think of a hike also?

Sure. I like hiking. :D

Ron Haven
09-12-2007, 19:15
Sure. I like hiking. :DYea I do too.Maybe We could drop off a car and drive me back to the bus and I'd go too.

Mother Nature
09-16-2007, 09:59
Made my reservations for Saturday, Dec 1 at the Budget. Hope to see other WBers there. Sounds like a nice way to start out the holiday season with a warm fuzzy WB hug. D'Artignan I will bring MN Peppermint Patties.

MN

jlb2012
09-16-2007, 14:31
from north of Ashville what is a good way to get to Franklin - I40 to 74 to 441?. The only ways I have driven I did not care for very much - 28 from 74 and US64 to 280 are both rather slow going.

I am considering this get together but am not real sure since its a bit of a drive for me - estimated 8 hours or so.

Skidsteer
09-16-2007, 16:00
from north of Ashville what is a good way to get to Franklin - I40 to 74 to 441?. The only ways I have driven I did not care for very much - 28 from 74 and US64 to 280 are both rather slow going.

I am considering this get together but am not real sure since its a bit of a drive for me - estimated 8 hours or so.

That's the route I would take. 74 is identified also as 23/74.

partinj
09-17-2007, 13:32
Ok gonee to play dumb here what Franking are you talking abount the one in GA NC MA Their are a lot of Franking

Creek Dancer
09-17-2007, 13:34
What the frick is a Franking? :confused:

MOWGLI
09-17-2007, 13:49
Ok gonee to play dumb here what Franking are you talking abount the one in GA NC MA Their are a lot of Franking

NC ...........

D'Artagnan
09-17-2007, 13:54
Made my reservations for Saturday, Dec 1 at the Budget. Hope to see other WBers there. Sounds like a nice way to start out the holiday season with a warm fuzzy WB hug. D'Artignan I will bring MN Peppermint Patties.

MN

That sounds great -- I'm reserved at the Budget Inn, too. Looking forward to seeing y'all again.