View Full Version : ATC / ALDHA Trail Magic Suggestions

rickb
09-09-2007, 18:06
From the ATC website.

Appalachian Trail Conservancy
Preserving and Protecting the Appalachian Trail since 1925
Harpers Ferry, WV

Suggestions for Providing Trail Magic

Trail magic, defined as an unexpected act of kindness, is a quintessential part of the Appalachian Trailexperience for many long-distance hikers. The suggestions below incorporate Leave No Trace practices (www.LNT.org) to help those providing trail magic have the most positive impact on hikers, the Trail,its plants and wildlife, and the volunteers who maintain and preserve it. The Appalachian TrailConservancy and the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association endorse these suggestions.

Help conserve and maintain the Trail. The most essential service you can perform is to volunteer to maintain the Trail and overnight sites and monitor boundaries and resource conditions. Visit www.appalachiantrail.org for more information, or check with your local trail-maintaining club to find out how or where you may assist.

Locate events in developed areas on durable surfaces. Large gatherings in the backcountry can leadto trampling of plants, soil compaction, and disturbance of wildlife habitat. Trail towns and local parks are better locations. Keep events small. Consider whether your event may be contributing to an overabundance of trail feeds in the local area or region. Many hikers come to the Trail seeking solitude and contemplation.

Prepare and serve food safely. If you will be cooking or preparing food, check with the landowner to find an appropriate area and learn what food-safety or other regulations apply. Permits may be required.
Charging a fee or asking for donations may not be allowed.

Be present if you provide food or drink. Unattended items—including their packaging—can harm wildlife that consumes them, or hikers, when unrefrigerated products grow bacteria or become contaminated. Unattended items are considered litter and their presence detracts from the wildland character of backcountry environments. Dispense food and drink in person, and carry out any trash orleftovers.

Restore the site. Leave the site as you found it—don’t create a burden for Trail volunteers whose timeis better spent in other activities.

Advertise off-trail. Advertising—even noncommercial—is prohibited on the A.T. Publicizing a “feed” in advance can lead to clumping of long distance hikers, causing overcrowded conditions and greater impacts at shelters and campsites.

Forgo alcoholic beverages. Don’t risk the legality and liability associated with serving minors, overserving adults, or the safety issues associated with intoxicated hikers.

Be hospitable to all. While many long-distance hikers will likely appreciate trail magic, be sure to make all trail users and volunteers feel welcome.

For more information, visit ATC’s Web site www.appalachiantrail.org/trailmagic.

The Weasel
09-09-2007, 18:12
Rick ---

Well done, even though part of me rebels against "trail magic" being subject to rules. The one you left out, though, that I think is the most important, is 'keep it small'. I think there is too much emphasis on "let's do a great big ol' thingy for hikers' rather than the true magic, which is perhaps a single cold soda in a bag of ice at a crossing, or a night in someone's home during a zero day. Those are the more 'magical', IMHO. But what others do is for them to decide, and as long as pretty consistent with what you write, probably a good thing.

The Weasel

rickb
09-09-2007, 18:20
I can copy and paste with the best of them, The Weasel.

But thanks!

BTW, I first saw the link over at TrailJournals.Com.

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 07:03
Be present if you provide food or drink.[/B] Unattended items—including their packaging—can harm wildlife that consumes them, or hikers, when unrefrigerated products grow bacteria or become contaminated. Unattended items are considered litter and their presence detracts from the wildland character of backcountry environments. Dispense food and drink in person, and carry out any trash orleftovers.

Be hospitable to all.[/B] While many long-distance hikers will likely appreciate trail magic, be sure to make all trail users and volunteers feel welcome.]

someone should inform the 2 guys in vermont who do "magic" 2 miles apart, that leaving stuff unattended ain't cool. bolting a personal register box to a tree ain't cool. leaving soda cans in a stream ain't cool. marking a cooler "thru-hikers only" ain't cool and nailing a garbage bag to a tree to hold empties ain't cool.

Tha Wookie
09-10-2007, 09:51
I found a beer in a stream in PA, and was so excited I cracked that sucker open and started to guzzle before I realized it was absolutely rancid! Who knows how long it had been there.

That being said, I'd still love to see some beer on my next thru!

And some pre stacked firewood. That would be cool.

Johnny Swank
09-10-2007, 12:26
Palm frond girls cooling me down on a hot day. Gots to get me palm frond girls.

Mags
09-10-2007, 12:54
Palm frond girls cooling me down on a hot day. Gots to get me palm frond girls.

Feeding grapes would help, too.

Johnny Swank
09-10-2007, 13:12
Peeled only, please. Someone's gotta keep it classy up in this joint.

warraghiyagey
09-10-2007, 13:19
Peeled only, please. Someone's gotta keep it classy up in this joint.

You beat me to the peeled grapes line. But seriously, trail magic just feels right when you hapen by it. It comes from excellent energy so why be subject to rules. I know the folks who leave refreshments are there to pick them up that night or the next day. Thank you to all who think to do this.

The road to hell is not paved with good intentions. And a pepsi by a bridge in Rangeley is quite heavenly. Thank you Angels.:) :) :) :)

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 13:22
I know the folks who leave refreshments are there to pick them up that night or the next day. Thank you to all who think to do this.

not the coolers and trash bags i came upon. been days since anyone was there to clean up. coolers and such don't belong in the woods

Jack Tarlin
09-10-2007, 13:32
Good for Rick for sending this along. And while I tend to agree with Weasel about preferring smaller hiker events rather than extravagant ones, it should be pointed out that nobody's talking here about instituting "rules" for Trail Magic. As it clearly states (I think they used the word four times) in the ATC's thoughtful statement printed above, these are SUGGESTIONS and not rules. How people re-act to these suggestions is of course up to them, but I think they all make a lot of sense.

warraghiyagey
09-10-2007, 13:33
not the coolers and trash bags i came upon. been days since anyone was there to clean up. coolers and such don't belong in the woods

OK, I overstated, but I want to believe all is made right in the end by the majority who have the thought and take the time to do this.:)

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 13:37
OK, I overstated, but I want to believe all is made right in the end by the majority who have the thought and take the time to do this.:)

no food or beverage should ever be left unattended in the woods

warraghiyagey
09-10-2007, 13:43

I agree. So now my conundrum. I also like the trail magic. And I pack out the remnants of what I enjoyed. Now I'm confused. Thanks Wolf. But I still like the idea of trail magic unexpectedly on the trail.

Tha Wookie
09-10-2007, 13:55

It is true that there are MANY ways to provide magic other than leaving commercial products in the woods.

warraghiyagey
09-10-2007, 13:59
It is true that there are MANY ways to provide magic other than leaving commercial products in the woods.

Yes, but much of the hiking experience is about fuel. And while a hiker knows they are responsible for their own, little surprises along the way are a nice addition to the day. Trail Angels.:) :)

The Weasel
09-10-2007, 14:04

Just for perspective, things are a bit different out here along the PCT. In the southern stretches, there are long - very long - distances that are waterless, as thruhikers cover about 100 miles or so of the northern Sonoran desert, which is largely scrub brush and dry dirt. There are several well known points where trail angels regularly leave water - anywhere from a small bottle to 5 gallons or more - and often leave it in icefilled coolers. If it weren't for these caches, there would be a lot of problems.

I tend - tend - to agree with Wolf, although I have been very grateful to come upon unopened bottles of water at crossings with signs "for hikers". People should, as noted, check back to get rid of the garbage; i've carried my stuff out, but not everyone can or does.

The Weasel

Sly
09-10-2007, 14:33
Just for perspective, things are a bit different out here along the PCT. In the southern stretches, there are long - very long - distances that are waterless, as thruhikers cover about 100 miles or so of the northern Sonoran desert, which is largely scrub brush and dry dirt. There are several well known points where trail angels regularly leave water - anywhere from a small bottle to 5 gallons or more - and often leave it in icefilled coolers. If it weren't for these caches, there would be a lot of problems.

The longest stretch between natural sources is 35 miles, however there are many others in southern CA that are 15 miles or more. Rather than depend on a cache that may be empty, I carried what I needed. The problems begin when hikers depend on water caches, not the other way around.

chiefdaddy
09-10-2007, 14:33
This past Xmass i happened to bounce into the springer mountain shelter and see 24 or so cold beers on the cooking shelf along with a small bottle of patrom(sp) I took my three beers and was jumping for joy for them. :D I think they were for Mr.Parkey and I can't seem to remember who left them :D

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 14:34
The longest stretch between natural sources is 35 miles, however there are many others in southern CA that are 15 miles or more. Rather than depend on a cache that may be empty, I carried what I needed. The problems begin when hikers depend on water caches, not the other way around.

gotta agree. if one CHOOSES to hike a section just to have a complete thru-hike, then carry it

Peaks
09-10-2007, 17:21
The best trail magic is a well maintained trail, available for all.

Second best is a source of water on a long dry and hot stretch of trail.

The Weasel
09-10-2007, 17:47

Sly, I'm glad you made it, and that's one of the reason (as you well know) why people start as early as they can, to avoid the really hot days. But 15 miles, even on the PCT, can be a full day, particularly if the heat is bad. And 35 is clearly two days for nearly everyone, and even then, 2 quarts of water just won't do it. People die that way (and yes, I know you know that, but that's a big difference between the AT and here). But I've seen some people come in to one of the caches really in bad shape, and go through 2-3 quarts right there. Not far from them are bodies of illegals who didn't bring much water. It can be scary.

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 17:49
Sly, I'm glad you made it, and that's one of the reason (as you well know) why people start as early as they can, to avoid the really hot days. But 15 miles, even on the PCT, can be a full day, particularly if the heat is bad. And 35 is clearly two days for nearly everyone, and even then, 2 quarts of water just won't do it. People die that way (and yes, I know you know that, but that's a big difference between the AT and here). But I've seen some people come in to one of the caches really in bad shape, and go through 2-3 quarts right there. Not far from them are bodies of illegals who didn't bring much water. It can be scary.

The Weasel

pretty dumb to hike that section then. i hear it's not scenic anyway.

The Weasel
09-10-2007, 18:40

Actually, Wolf, it's beautiful, particularly at that time of the year. The wildflowers in the Sonoran Desert are something that just absolutely knocked my socks off the first time I saw them, and much of the stretch has a lot of history behind it: The very beginning of the PCT, "Campo", is a former military base last occupied to protect - honest! - the southern flank of California from a feared Japanese invasion in WWII, coming from the Ensenada area. The defenders were the "Buffalo Soldiers" - the famed cavalry unit composed of Black Americans who, at Campo, were the last horse-mounted cavarly unit in the United States Army. Sadly and shamefully, they were dismounted in 1944 and sent to North Africa as "service troops," despite a unanimous request that they be allowed to continue serving as a frontline combat unit. The PCT goes with about 100 yards or so of many of the surviving buildings.

Besides, can't believe you're advocating "orange blazing," although in that stretch some of the "roads" aren't even roads! Gray (dust) blazing, mebbe?

The Weasel

Sly
09-10-2007, 19:01
Sly, I'm glad you made it, and that's one of the reason (as you well know) why people start as early as they can, to avoid the really hot days. But 15 miles, even on the PCT, can be a full day, particularly if the heat is bad. And 35 is clearly two days for nearly everyone, and even then, 2 quarts of water just won't do it.

Distance between natural water sources generally dictates your daily mileage in southern CA. There are no guarantees there'll be water at the caches when you get there. I split the 35 mile section in two and carried 6 liters, passing an empty cache along the way. There are other sources off trail as much as 3-4 miles, but I preferred to carry enough without doing the extra miles.

IMO, anyone that relies on a cache (unless it's their own and they hid it) is ignorant of the realities of the trail.

One more thing, you can't start too early without the risk of running into snow on Mt Laguna, San Jacinto or Baden-Powell.

Sly
09-10-2007, 19:05
i hear it's not scenic anyway.

Oh yeah, it's more scenic than 95% of the AT! :p

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 19:08
Oh yeah, it's more scenic than 95% of the AT! :p

then i stand corrected boys. but caches should be considered like shelters ; never count on them

Sly
09-10-2007, 19:12
then i stand corrected boys. but caches should be considered like shelters ; never count on them

Desert hiking isn't for everyone. Even though I sometimes question why I'm there (heat, exposure, lack of water) I always seem to return.

Tha Wookie
09-10-2007, 19:12

ha! not scenic? That 700-mile "section" makes the AT look like a dark closet.

http://trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=21924

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 19:16

i was gonna edit but i'll let my ignorance stand

Tha Wookie
09-10-2007, 19:26
not to mention all the intersting wildlife in the desert PCT

http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/anotherzero/photos/1129/mojavedesertdino1.jpg

Jack Tarlin
09-10-2007, 19:38
Weasel:

What is "shameful" about disbanding a cavalry unit in 1944?

What would YOU have done with mounted troops late in World War II?

On about 15 occasions early in that conflict, in 1939, the Poles used their cavalry to attack the Germans. Tho oddly enough there were some successes with this, this use of mounted troops eventually stopped, for obvious reasons.

Casualties were horrendous.

So I ask again, what is shameful about dismounting horse soldiers and giving them other duties in 1944? The fact that they were apparently refused their request to be frontline trops is another matter entirely, but to refer to their being dismounted as being shameful and sad is a bit of a stretch.

rickb
09-10-2007, 19:41
Jack, the shame is how the soldiers were treated. As service troops.

Go back and read the post.

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 19:43
Weasel:

What is "shameful" about disbanding a cavalry unit in 1944?

What would YOU have done with mounted troops late in World War II?

On about 15 occasions early in that conflict, in 1939, the Poles used their cavalry to attack the Germans. Tho oddly enough there were some successes with this, this use of mounted troops eventually stopped, for obvious reasons.

Casualties were horrendous.

So I ask again, what is shameful about dismounting horse soldiers and giving them other duties in 1944? The fact that they were apparently refused their request to be frontline trops is another matter entirely, but to refer to their being dismounted as being shameful and sad is a bit of a stretch.

W T F this got to do with trail magic?:eek:

Jack Tarlin
09-10-2007, 19:45
Um, I read the post, Rick.

He said that "Sadly and shamefully, the soldiers were dismounted in 1944...."
I made it clear in my post that their needs and hopes for future postings was another matter entirely, but I don't see anything sad or shameful in their being dismounted.

Mounted troops in any capacity were sort of passe in America in the mid-forties, believe it or not.

Jack Tarlin
09-10-2007, 19:46
It doesn't have anything to do with Trail Magic, Wolf, now that you mention it.

But it wasn't me who introduced the subject, it was Weasel. Complain to him.

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 19:48
It doesn't have anything to do with Trail Magic, Wolf, now that you mention it.

But it wasn't me who introduced the subject, it was Weasel. Complain to him.

ain't complainin' honey, just wonderin'

Appalachian Tater
09-10-2007, 19:52
What is sad and shameful is the inherent racism of white army officers ordering black soldiers to kill red indians.

Sly
09-10-2007, 19:54
Mounted troops in any capacity were sort of passe in America in the mid-forties, believe it or not.

Definitely getting off topic here bu don't they use a horse cavalry in Afghanistan?

JAK
09-10-2007, 20:37
RE: Trail Magic Suggestions.

I agree that the intent should be "suggestions" not "rules". Quality of mercy and all that. That said, the 'rules' that always apply to natural habitat should be respected. I can see pushing some rules though, for example a person that is also a trail maintainer, perhaps leaving a couple of cold ones. Perhaps not something the rest of us should do as a rule, but a maintainer, well you gotta give them a lot more leeway to use their own discretion I would say.

My own bias is I like the mystery and mysticism and tradition that surrounds some forms of trail magic. It seems akin to ancient traditions like dressing wells, in places like Wales. I think I posted on this before. So along those lines, and notwithstanding the rules related to LNT etc, here are some suggestions that I think might be very very cool trail magic:

1. Well maintained trail, skillfully crafted to protect the natural habitat from human traffic while blending in with the natural habitat, becoming part of it.

2. Well maintained natural water sources, again skillfully crafted to protect the natural habitat from human traffic while blending in with the natural habitat, becoming part of it. Most times nature is best left natural, but occassionally 'improvements' can be made, which might make a natural water source able to withstand higher traffic, yet still look very rustic and natural.

3. Dressing of wells and springs. This gets tricky in todays world. But it might be cool to dress a well now and then, depending on the season. Ideas might include wildflowers or tree blossums arranged in a certain way, as long as it wasn't done in a way to impact nature, or compromise the water source. I'm generally not a big fan of Inukshuks, except in the arctic where they 'belong'. But if it was done with skill, it might be OK. Same with dressing of wells, if it can be done skillfully, then perhaps it might be OK. Otherwise just leave it as natural as possible, I would say, or at least be a master of understatement.

4. Shelters. Shelters themselves should be seen as a form of trail magic, and follow a long tradition of primitive shelters in general, but are also closely associated with small hermitages on pilgrim routes in Europe. That's what I often think of anyways. Along those lines, it might be fitting for some of these shelters to be fitted with something along the lines of a shrine in a corner or nook. Again I would leave this to the discretion of the maintainer of the shelter, rather than a traveller, unless perhaps the traveller was exceptionally gifted. I'm not talking about a 'religious' shrine, neccessarily. I'm really just talking about some sort of artistic enhancement, like a sculpture, in a small nook or shelf, or a set of stones arranged into a book shelf or small table for people to use during their stay. If a traveller was exceptionally good at woodcarving, if they were to leave one of their woodcarvings behind, not carved into the wood of the shelter, but left in a nook or on a shelf, that might be a form of trail magic, as long as it wasn't offensive or clutter up the place of course.

5. In the old days food was often included in dressing a well, or left as offerings at woodland shrines. Traditionally it was the local villagers or travellers that left such offerings, and it was 'little people' of the forest that were the chief recipients. They might have been remnants of previous cultures that had fled to the hills, or perhaps orphaned or feral children, or perhaps just legends. In todays world I think L.Wolf might be right, and I am not sure if any food is really suitable left unaccompanied, especially commercial products left packaged, though I would give maintainers full discretion to do as they each see fit. I can't see too much harm in something like a small wicker basket of fruit, or perhaps a big bright orange. Depends on the trail though, and the location. In todays worlds those are probably not good ideas though, which is sad.

Nearly Normal
09-10-2007, 21:14
Definitely getting off topic here bu don't they use a horse cavalry in Afghanistan?

Yeah,
and the national sport is on horse back having to do with how many pieces they can pull a sheep into.

Nearly Normal

Sly
09-10-2007, 21:35
Yeah,
and the national sport is on horse back having to do with how many pieces they can pull a sheep into.

Well not exactly, it's called buzkachi. The body of goat is used like a ball and thrown into a goal. They used to have it on King Zahir Shah's birthday. I'm not sure if they carried on the tradition after the coup.

JAK
09-10-2007, 21:41
It would be interesting to see what sort of trail magic they have over there. Some good, some bad, some very ugly I would imagine, same as anywhere else. I've often thought it interesting that cultures that live in mountainous or highland regions often share many things in common. Once on a different forum I tried to draw some parallels between Afghans and Scots and got pretty much tarred and feather for it. Being of Scottish descent, I wasn't neccessarily suggesting that it was a good thing, but many people get uptight about trying to make such connections, even if their neither Afghan not Scot. Many Afghans and Scots are like that also. ;)

Sly
09-10-2007, 21:50
It would be interesting to see what sort of trail magic they have over there. Some good, some bad, some very ugly I would imagine, same as anywhere else. I've often thought it interesting that cultures that live in mountainous or highland regions often share many things in common. Once on a different forum I tried to draw some parallels between Afghans and Scots and got pretty much tarred and feather for it. Being of Scottish descent, I wasn't neccessarily suggesting that it was a good thing, but many people get uptight about trying to make such connections, even if their neither Afghan not Scot. Many Afghans and Scots are like that also. ;)

Have you read "The Places In Between' by Rory Stewart? He's a Scot and hiked across Afghanistan shortly after the US invasion and the fall of the Taliban. Good book.

Personally, I had much "trail magic" while living in Afghanistan in the early 70's. Not all but, just about everyone I met was very hospitable.