PDA

View Full Version : Fall Color Hike??

View
09-09-2007, 21:26
Please recommend a great fall color hike? I need something that can be done in a few days (3-5). It would need to be about 8-10 miles a day. If you could, please include the peak color dates too.

Thanks!!

Tennessee Viking
09-10-2007, 02:32
Smokies, but it would probably be high tourist season. For the fall colors

You probably want something with open or balds areas for views. Allen Gap to 19W maybe; Camp Creek, Big Bald, Flint, Sugarloaf, Cold Spring. Or Indian Grave Gap to 19E; Roan, Humps, Little Rock, Beauty Spot, Unaka.

I wouldn't recommend giving an exact time. You probably want to head out when the weather starts cooling to get the rich colors. Right now, the only color changes are green to brown.

Also, look into the MST along the Blue Ridge.

Gray Blazer
09-10-2007, 10:39
Read my post in thread entitled Advice on a 4 Day Trip. Can't say when the leaves will be at their peak in GSMNP. They may be a bust this year because of the drought. Watch the Weather Channel when the time gets nearer.

stumpy
09-10-2007, 11:48
I wouldn't expect much of fall color season in the south this year. It has been so dry and so hot. It looks like most leaves will just turn quickly and fall to the ground.:(

Cuffs
09-10-2007, 12:10
In central Alabama, there are trees here where the leaves have recently turned brown. There was no reds or yellows, just brown... Not shaping up to be a colorful autumn...

trippclark
09-10-2007, 12:14
Watch this site to best target the optimal color for an area

http://www.foliagenetwork.com/reports/southeast_us/

You can also look at historicals for the past few years to best estimate when peak might be this year.

Here is for northeast
http://www.foliagenetwork.com/reports/northeast_us/

Ender
09-10-2007, 12:27
Pretty much anywhere in Vermont. It's easy to plan a 3-5 day hike there... lots of road crossings. Can't say for sure when the peak will be, but probably mid September-ish till early October.

horicon
09-10-2007, 15:24
Cheshire, Mass. to Bear Mountain, N.Y. October 1–October 18

Earliest along the October Mountain and Mt. Everett areas in Massachusetts. Latest in the low valleys near RPH Cabin and the Hudson River in New York.

Lilred
09-10-2007, 17:16
I'd stay out of the south for fall color any year. If you want spectacular color, hike in the northern states. Anywhere from Northern Pennsylvania on up will be good color. I've lived in TN since 1988 and I have still to see any fall colors that rival up north. Just too hot down here. Last time I saw awesome fall foliage was the 1st week of October near the Penn/NY border in 1985. Dang!! I gotta get up north.

oruoja
09-11-2007, 18:29
Pretty much anywhere in Vermont. It's easy to plan a 3-5 day hike there... lots of road crossings. Can't say for sure when the peak will be, but probably mid September-ish till early October.

Just finished a three day trip in Southern Vt and because it has been so dry over the past month there are spots where leaves are already turning fast. On Sunday we finally had some rain and cooler weather is in the forecast so it looks like peak will come soon.

Turtlehiker
09-12-2007, 15:10
Trees are starting to change here in CT which is way early. I am going to be in Maine Sept 21 hiking to Katahdin and I am hoping that it will be about peak there.

7Sisters
09-18-2007, 05:35
Can't beat Vermont for hiking in peak fall foilage.

I would plan on including Cooper Lodge in your trip as the views from the summit there are some of the best in Vermont. There are some other great sections of Vermont as well, but I would highly recommend starting south and finishing your trip in this vicinity.

Hope this makes sense. I don't have my book in front of me to give you exact locations - will try to do later.

View
09-18-2007, 16:22
Can't beat Vermont for hiking in peak fall foilage.

I would plan on including Cooper Lodge in your trip as the views from the summit there are some of the best in Vermont. There are some other great sections of Vermont as well, but I would highly recommend starting south and finishing your trip in this vicinity.

Hope this makes sense. I don't have my book in front of me to give you exact locations - will try to do later.

Thanks - would love the info!

MOWGLI
09-18-2007, 16:30
Please recommend a great fall color hike? I need something that can be done in a few days (3-5). It would need to be about 8-10 miles a day. If you could, please include the peak color dates too.

Thanks!!

I'd hike in Vermont in early October. Pick your spot. You can't go wrong.