PDA

View Full Version : Water in PA/MD...

Sly
09-09-2007, 22:33
Anyone hike in PA/MD lately? Specifically south of Duncannon to HF. Details would be nice. Thanks.

mweinstone
09-10-2007, 07:26
no water. bodys everywhere . matthewski turrned synik . irs up his butt causing him(me) to attack slys otherwise innocent post. must kill...... hate irs.......going to work now. xoxoxoxmatty.

camojack
09-10-2007, 07:30
Anyone hike in PA/MD lately? Specifically south of Duncannon to HF. Details would be nice. Thanks.

It just rained there. I was hiking in PA last weekend, but West of the A.T., on the Laurel Highlands Trail; water was running well then...

redtail
09-10-2007, 10:19
Crampton Gap Shelter spring was still dry yesterday. The spring at Rocky Run Shelter was good.

veteran
09-10-2007, 10:56
There are four reliable piped water sources in Maryland:

1) Gathland Park, a frost-free spigot by the bathrooms.

2) Dahlgren Camp, on the service road about 500' north of the actual camp. When the camp is open, showers and sinks are also available.

3) Washington Monument Park. The back of the maintenance building near the entrance has a spigot.

4) Wolfsville Rd. ranger's house. From the A.T., hike uphill (south) on Wolfsville Rd. 600'. Turn left onto gravel road. Find first house in 800', ranger's house with spigot on side. Available as long as Cowell Shelter spring is dry, which has been often.

Pennsylvania:

Piped water in Old Forge State Park

Pa. Rte. 233 crossing, Piped water at Vision Quest

Caledonia State Park, Piped water

Pine Grove Furnace State Park, Piped water

emerald
09-10-2007, 15:09
I just noticed today there's a burn ban in effect for Adams County (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/ffp/burnbans.aspx). The A.T. runs just west and north of it in Franklin and Cumberland Counties.

One could infer water in Franklin and Cumberland wouldn't be abundant and may be hard to come by.

GoldenBear
09-10-2007, 15:45
This link shows the water situation in Pennsylvania.
http://pa.water.usgs.gov/monitor/

As of September 5th, 33 counties were removed from the PA DEP list of drought alerts, but 26 remain.

GoldenBear
09-25-2008, 23:02
Can be found at this link:
www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=701751#post701751