PDA

View Full Version : Lost in life and need help...

Dawgtrekker
11-06-2003, 00:40
Hey, peeps out there!!

How is working life for you? I wanted to know what type of occupations thru-hikers hold either before or after their AT hike?

I am bored with life! And my '04 NOBO Thru is the only thing I find myself looking forward to each day. I have only been working for my Co. for a few months. Yes, it's my first "real" job - I am a recent graduate from The University of Georgia and already I am burnt-out on what I have been preparing myself for all my life. What gives? I'm supposed to be "happy" and lovin' and livin' up life!! But, I'm not. I don't.

Like most of you (or not, if you're lucky), I get up way too early, spend 8+ hours at a job I don't care for, sit in traffic for at least 90 minutes each day, do things with and for people I don't want to do, pays bills for ridulous items I'm told I need, then I watch the news or read the paper each evening after dinner and before I know it, BAM!, it's time to head to bed in order to have enough energy to complete the same routine the following day!! Why?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am barely surviving my job as it is, let alone after I complete my hike. How will I survive in such a stupid world after such a simple life? I know, I know!!! I will go to the Dr. and eat some PILLS, and that will make me better. But, oh, the first PILLS induced serious vomiting and so I'll have to take another PILL to help with my serious spasming stomach. But wait, then the stomach PILL causes me to go blind and there's nothing that can be done about that. Hell. Well, at least I'll be able to survive, right?

I'm just so bitter these days...

Dawg

dionalaniz
11-06-2003, 00:47
Hey Dawg. Several weeks ago i told my boss he sucked, quit, and now i'm about to go hike the AT!!!! You couldn't possibly burn your bridges any worse than I did. Just hang in there man - but one word of advice. Save up really really hard for your trip so you can leave on your terms and, even more important, come back to the working world on your terms.

Hang in there bud. Your hike is coming!!!!!

magic_game03
11-06-2003, 01:04
ditto, what dion said. I'm sure most of us here feel the same way.
It's kinda funny, this site is like an AA meeting, a bunch of outdoor hiking junkies, who will never get enough. And like most drunks; we dont hike just to hike, we hike to get away from the MATRIX.

hang in there man!!!! your going to have a blast in '04

Senor Quack
11-06-2003, 01:42
I was a computer technician for 7 years (since I started at 16 years old at a small shop) and got pretty good at the job.. I've also been a Linux nut since that age, too..

For several years I worked for myself as a private consultant at the age of 20 and made enough cash to live, but I just didn't like fixing computers anymore, so I quit and started delivering pizzas.

So, that's what I'm doing until next April when I start my AT thru-hike I've been thinking about for a coupla years. I'll be 24 with no degree when I finish, and probably have no plans of getting one.. I have a real bad back when sitting down and don't have the motivation to sit through classes and homework.

squirrel bait
11-06-2003, 03:09
One mile is not enough, 2170, just right. Listen up Dawg, ya gotta find a way to look inside. What makes ya happy? Really happy. Follow that to the end. Do ya fish? Join the DNR in your state. They can always reteach a college grad. Do ya collect stamps? Post Office. The outdoors? Supply stores. Do ya see what I am getting at. Follow the advice here in this forum, enjoy your hike. For fun, change your routine tomarrow however you can. Don't buy the old news rag, buy one for somebody else. Take the bus/train. Call everybody Mr or Ms. Now quit whining, grow up, try out your camping gear, set it up in the apartment if you have to, play with it, it's okay I give you permission. Use that brain that got you through school and find new ways to shed pounds/ounces from your pack. Then please let all know here. Come on buck it up ya ole bulldog.

Wombat
11-06-2003, 05:08
Dear Dawg, Life does not always live up to our expectations. I am sorry you are feeling so down. I have been where you are now. One of the best things I found in life was hiking. Life is about balance. Yeah I work in IT and I am rounding off a 12 hour day as I write this, sometimes I could just spit. I hike whenever I can and am gearing up for an AT hike next year. It's the only thing that keeps me going. Find yourself a short-term goal and just hang in there and remember. You are a precious human being and unique and your already a winner.

Lone Wolf
11-06-2003, 08:32
Dawg, you got over 60 replies to the exact same post on Trailjournals.com. Give it a rest. You're an attention whore.

Skeemer
11-06-2003, 09:15
LW, ha ha ha ha ha....we're all attention whores

alpine
11-06-2003, 09:31
with drawn

Matt Pincham
11-06-2003, 09:54
Note his 1 post! Damn I was about to write a reply and say 'hang in there' etc. Don't think I'll bother now.

Take care
Matt

Youngblood
11-06-2003, 10:57
This is a rough week for a lot of dawgs in this area... got their hearts broken last saturday.

Youngblood