PDA

View Full Version : Need work!!!! Baaaaaaaad!

The Smarts
09-10-2007, 12:52
Currently Mase and I are stopped in Damascus, VA.. we are leaving tomo still sobo for GA. We want to stop somewhere for about a month or so to work and re-up on cash. Anyone know of any work or anyone giving out work to hikers in any places like Irwin, Hot springs or anywhere else south of here??? :confused:

-Smarts

fehchet
09-10-2007, 13:02
Well, it is Erwin and not Irwin. Plenty of work in Johnson City. Pick up a paper.

PJ 2005
09-10-2007, 15:41
Abingdon is pretty big and is about 15 minutes from Damascus...

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 15:42
call mom and dad for a loan.

Just a Hiker
09-10-2007, 16:05
What is your goal? Are you wanting a job in order to finish your hike or just get home? How much money do you have? How are you eating and sleeping right now? I am being nosy because I'll send you a few dollars if I am sure you'll use it for hiking expenses and not just a wild night at Dot's.

Just Jim

Wolf - 23000
09-10-2007, 20:16
What kind of skills do you have? Construction, roofingm etc. They are always in demand.

Wolf

Tennessee Viking
09-11-2007, 02:25
Bristol VA is having a bunch of retail stores openning up soon on Exit 7 of I81. Target and a few others are already open, but are still in need of hiring to fill spots from immediate turnover.

Kingsport, TN also is has a couple new retail centers opening up on or just off of US 11W.

Not much is going on in Erwin, Elizabethton, and Hampton. But if you check with Bob Peoples at Kincora, he will probably have a handful of contacts for something.

If you hop down from the Smokies into Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, you can almost always find seasonal work there going into the fall/winter seasons. If you go further into Knoxville, its a town of jobs, but you have to fight college students, listen to UT football, and live in nasty road traffic conditions.

Tennessee Viking
09-11-2007, 02:28
You also might want to check with Miss Janet. I am not too sure if she is still in the midst of moving. But she is another contact, or she might need help moving once she finds a new place.

Mace
09-19-2007, 12:43
We were just with Bob today and didnt even think of asking him. We are probably going to hit Hot Springs and try to do some farm work of some sort. Thanks for the advice.

We need money to continue the trail, not to get home or anything... I have plane tickets to get us home. We shouldnt have stayed in that damn Bed and Breakfast for 2 nights in PA and rack up 400$ bill. lol

We are still doing OK though, we got enough to get to Hot Springs... and I can always call family if I REALY have to. I have family in Ashville too, so we are going to see about work there possibly too.

modiyooch
09-19-2007, 20:27
Probably not much farm work in NC due to the drought. There is a shortage of hay. buliwyf is right in regards to the fall season, and seasonal help needed. One year, we couldn't find lodging anywhere in western NC or NE Ga due to the tourism for the changing of the leaves.