PDA

View Full Version : About what % are 100% white blazers

Desert Lobster
09-10-2007, 13:17
Of those who "finish" up their thru-hikes, about what % hike the whole, marked trail. It seems that a lot of folks blue-blaze, yellow-blaze short sections for whatever reason, etc., but still proclaim that they have completed a thru. By the way, I'm not talking about folks missing a tenth here and there going into and out of a leanto on a blue-blaze, going around a blowdown and missing a few feet of trail, not walking across the 30 feet of pavement at a road crosing when getting a hitch into and out of town, etc. Any thoughts?

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 13:23
less than 10%

Mags
09-10-2007, 13:24
Discussions like this make me glad I hike out west now. :)

Appalachian Tater
09-10-2007, 13:25
Well under ten percent would be my guess.

Also, I would consider missing parts of the trail by using different blue-blazes in and out of a campsite blue-blazing.

Footslogger
09-10-2007, 13:25

==================================

Ditto ...

'Slogger

warraghiyagey
09-10-2007, 13:31

Well said, although it's not the fault of the trail that folks get into these nit-picky arguments. It's generally the people who didn't get out of their trail experience all that it had to offer. If they did, they wouldn't care what the nature of another person's through hike was, only in the sense that that person loved it.

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 13:35
maybe the ATC and GMC or other clubs shouldn't give out stupid little patches and certificates after submitting a type-wriiten report of your hike :rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
09-10-2007, 13:36
maybe the ATC and GMC or other clubs shouldn't give out stupid little patches and certificates after submitting a type-wriiten report of your hike :rolleyes:

Yes, these patches sure smack of 'goal' instead of journey.

Mags
09-10-2007, 13:37
Well said, although it's not the fault of the trail that folks get into these nit-picky arguments.

I agree. The trails themselves are awesome. This whole purist arguement is, too put it bluntly, pointless. And you only see this arguement on AT boards!

I mean, really..going into a campsite one way and coming out the other "invalidates" a thru-hike?

Angels on the head of a pin. ;)

warraghiyagey
09-10-2007, 13:39
Purists. Talk about taking over a word for personal agenda. Are the purists pure. If so they applaud anyone's AT experience. If not, they need another word.

Appalachian Tater
09-10-2007, 14:01
Only blue-blazers get their panties in a wad about this. 99.9% of white-blazers ("purists" according to the blue-blazers) couldn't care less what other people do.

Another interesting point is that white-blazers don't lie and say they are blue-blazers, although the reverse is common. Everyone draws the line just downhill from where they are standing.

The official standards to be a 2000-miler are quite clear. Even common sense would dictate that if you say you are hiking a trail, you have to hike it, or you're a liar. Flying in an airplane from Georgia to Maine would qualify as a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail in some people's minds!

Time To Fly 97
09-10-2007, 14:33
Only blue-blazers get their panties in a wad about this. 99.9% of white-blazers ("purists" according to the blue-blazers) couldn't care less what other people do.

Well said. There is nothing wrong with feeling great about being a "purist." To me, it is the real deal and an accomplishment to be proud of. The same goes for not slackpacking. At the same time, I don't judge other people because I honestly don't care how you hiked your own hike. I just hope it was awesome for you.

Happy hiking!

TTF

jersey joe
09-10-2007, 14:44
I would put the percentage of people who completed 100% of the trail somewhere around ten percent.
I don't really understand all of the negative feelings about having a discussion on how many people hiked the whole trail. I have to agree with Appalachian Tater and say that I have rarely heard anyone who claims they are a "white blazer" criticize anyone for blue blazing or negate their accomplishment.
Also, concerning warraghiyagey's comment, I see nothing wrong with a goal oriented thruhike. Who says enjoying the journey of hiking the trail is mutually exclusive to having a goal of hiking the trail?

Mags
09-10-2007, 15:07
Bah...

When you hike where there aren't any blazes (or trails) see how you feel about this discussion. :)

Sly
09-10-2007, 15:18

Of course that's BS, just look at the topic of the current post and your comment below. I also noticed that many of the trail registers in Maine spoke of "cheaters" before anyone even applied for the patch.

The official standards to be a 2000-miler are quite clear. Even common sense would dictate that if you say you are hiking a trail, you have to hike it, or you're a liar.

You have no way on knowing whether someone has hiked the ENTIRE trail. As an example there were a few sections I skipped during my "thru-hike" only to complete them later.

Marta
09-10-2007, 15:24

Another interesting point is that white-blazers don't lie and say they are blue-blazers, although the reverse is common. Everyone draws the line just downhill from where they are standing.

The official standards to be a 2000-miler are quite clear. Even common sense would dictate that if you say you are hiking a trail, you have to hike it, or you're a liar. Flying in an airplane from Georgia to Maine would qualify as a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail in some people's minds!

Blue-blazers are the ones with their panties in a wad? Blue-blazers are liars?

You guys really need to get over yourselves. I hiked a damn good hike--slackpacking, B&B hopping, and (gulp) taking a few bad-weather blue blaze bypasses, and all. I have a continuous line of footsteps from Maine to Georgia. I'm proud of myself.

But then I'm a SOBO, so I really don't care much what the rest of the herd thinks.:D

Marta/Five-Leaf

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 15:27
Blue-blazers are the ones with their panties in a wad? Blue-blazers are liars?

You guys really need to get over yourselves. I hiked a damn good hike--slackpacking, B&B hopping, and (gulp) taking a few bad-weather blue blaze bypasses, and all. I have a continuous line of footsteps from Maine to Georgia. I'm proud of myself.

But then I'm a SOBO, so I really don't care much what the rest of the herd thinks.:D

Marta/Five-Leaf

SOBOs are much cooler and tougher that any NOBO. Real hikers they are.

saimyoji
09-10-2007, 15:27
If you took the time to post on how much you don't care, you clearly care more than you think you don't.

BTW, I don't care. :sun

Johnny Swank
09-10-2007, 15:33

There's lies, damn lies, and statistics. Hate to burst your bubble, but I've got scads of data that say otherwise.

Marta
09-10-2007, 15:39
I said I don't care MUCH, which is different from not caring at all. But since I'm a fast typist, I can rip off a quick post about the subject.

One of the virtues of being SOBO is that you're not with big crowds of other hikers, except when you're crossing the NOBO herd in Maine and NH. I have vivid memories of a few holier-than-thou NOBOs informing the hikers around them that no else's hike was as good as the orator's hike. I also overheard some of the backbiting "well he missed 40 miles in Tennessee" stuff. It was quite astonishing. (I ran into quite a few NOBOs who had missed sections filling in those sections after they summited Katahdin so their "friends'" earlier nasty comments were often unjustified.)

When SOBOs meet, it's much more a matter of "Thank God I finally found someone else still hiking!" instead of a pissing contest.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Johnny Swank
09-10-2007, 15:55
Amen, and pass the ammo. SOBO Pride 4Eva

Speaking of SOBO's, anybody heard from Hammock Engineer?

whitefoot_hp
09-10-2007, 15:59
are not the blue blazes still in the appalachain mountains? Is not any trail in the Appalachain mountains an appalachain trail? so if some one goes to georgia from maine, or maine from georgia, does it matter what color some ******* spraypainted on a tree?

jersey joe
09-10-2007, 16:05
Bah...

When you hike where there aren't any blazes (or trails) see how you feel about this discussion. :)

Of course I have hiked where there were no blazes or trails. I absolutely loved making my way up a trail free snow field to Iceberg Lake in the Ansel Adams Wilderness and even hiked part of the PCT, but I'd never dare to say I thru hiked the PCT because I hiked part of it. What would be the point in that?

The Solemates
09-10-2007, 16:13
blah......

The Solemates
09-10-2007, 16:14
blah.......

The Solemates
09-10-2007, 16:14
blah.........

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-10-2007, 16:18
What would be the point of lying about having completed or not completed a complete hike of the AT - or any trail for that matter? You will always know if you did or you didn't and how much you fudged if you didn't. As Marta says - anyone who leaves a row of footprints from Maine to Georgia or from Georgia to Maine has completed a hike to be proud of - regardless of how they got to and from various campsites and shelters. The joy is the journey - not in wearing a patch or bragging to your buddies about what you've done. YMMV

Mags
09-10-2007, 16:19
Of course I have hiked where there were no blazes or trails. I absolutely loved making my way up a trail free snow field to Iceberg Lake in the Ansel Adams Wilderness and even hiked part of the PCT, but I'd never dare to say I thru hiked the PCT because I hiked part of it. What would be the point in that?

The PCT has alternate routes.

Not sure of your point. ;)

Mags
09-10-2007, 16:20
blah......

Bah! HaH! Blah!

jersey joe
09-10-2007, 16:28
My point is, there is nothing wrong with blue blazing and not even following trails at all, I do it all the time. But if you are setting out to thru hike a particular trail, what is wrong with hiking the whole entire trail?

MOWGLI
09-10-2007, 16:29
Same scat, different year.

Mags
09-10-2007, 16:33
But if you are setting out to thru hike a particular trail, what is wrong with hiking the whole entire trail?

Nothing wrong with it. Many people just think of the trail as a corridor and not a 3 ft wide path.

Don't do the CDT. There's no trail to follow in many places.

Don't do the PCT, the guidebooks list several different alternate routes that are all considered the "official" PCT.

Though not "officially", the ATC recongnizes alternate routes as well. It would be nice if they just made "official" what they do in practice.

Again, only on AT forums do I ever see this discussion.

Anyway, I said more than I have meant to. I really can't add too much more that I haven't typed.

Daddy Longlegs
09-10-2007, 16:37
What about hikers who may start taking the BMT so they do not have to deal with the early crowds. Are they going to be thought of not hiking the whole AT cause they missed the southern part? :-? This is what I will probably do when my hike comes together.

max patch
09-10-2007, 16:40
Are they going to be thought of not hiking the whole AT cause they missed the southern part?

Yes.

You either decide to hike the entire trail or you decide to take alternate routes. Your choice. Have a great hike no matter what you do!

jersey joe
09-10-2007, 16:43
I understand what you are saying Mags. My issue is less with people who walk the "corridor" and more with the Bill Brysons out there that get in a car and skip entire states on their thru hikes.

Mags
09-10-2007, 16:48
I understand what you are saying Mags. My issue is less with people who walk the "corridor" and more with the Bill Brysons out there that get in a car and skip entire states on their thru hikes.

Fair enough. Let's go get some Long Trail ales to toast everyone's love for hiking.

Beer drinking is better than the purity debate. :)

jersey joe
09-10-2007, 16:53
I'll toast to that!
A Long Trail Hibernator for me.

Footslogger
09-10-2007, 16:58

=============================

Salute !!

'Slogger

Sly
09-10-2007, 17:09
What about hikers who may start taking the BMT so they do not have to deal with the early crowds. Are they going to be thought of not hiking the whole AT cause they missed the southern part? :-? This is what I will probably do when my hike comes together.

I certainly wouldn't have a problem with that. You'll actually hike about 50 more miles.

saimyoji
09-10-2007, 17:16
I said I don't care MUCH, which is different from not caring at all. But since I'm a fast typist, I can rip off a quick post about the subject.

I'm a slow typist with a slow connection so please know I wasn't addressing you in my post. I was responding to Tater's post. But I already know he doesn't care what I think. :)

Kirby
09-10-2007, 20:13
Hike Your Own Hike.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 20:14
Hike Your Own Hike.

Kirby

wow. never heard that before.:D

Marta
09-10-2007, 20:45

Guess what I just found...

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=204954

Looks like our boy is in Vermont!

Marta/Five-Leaf

Two Speed
09-10-2007, 20:52
I'll toast to that!
A Long Trail Hibernator for me.
=============================

Salute !!

'SloggerSmoking light's on in the liquor locker, boys & girls.

Footslogger
09-10-2007, 22:09
Smoking light's on in the liquor locker, boys & girls.

===================================

Beam me up Two Speed ...

'Slogger

warren doyle
09-10-2007, 22:56
I would have to say that thru-hikers who make a conscious effort to follow the white-blazed route the entire way are in the minority and have been since the 90's. White-blazers were definitely in the majority though in the 70's.

The concept of 'honor' has also changed in the last thirty years as well (as well as the use of steroids for athletic survival).

Smile
09-10-2007, 23:30
SoBo's seem in some way "tougher" to me, sort of like every one I meet is hiking "upstream" or something. :)

Go SoBo People!

Is there a latin name for people who are chronic patch collectors?

ScottP
09-10-2007, 23:53
How many times have lobsters of different types been banned for starting up flame wars on this forum?

ed bell
09-11-2007, 00:00
Of those who "finish" up their thru-hikes, about what % hike the whole, marked trail. It seems that a lot of folks blue-blaze, yellow-blaze short sections for whatever reason, etc., but still proclaim that they have completed a thru. By the way, I'm not talking about folks missing a tenth here and there going into and out of a leanto on a blue-blaze, going around a blowdown and missing a few feet of trail, not walking across the 30 feet of pavement at a road crosing when getting a hitch into and out of town, etc. Any thoughts?How did your hike go?:D:cool::sun

modiyooch
09-11-2007, 01:00
I follow the white blazes. It's just my personality and personal goal. It doesn't matter to me what someone else does. I have even heard of some water blazing the shenandoahs.

Appalachian Tater
09-11-2007, 02:23
The concept of 'honor' has also changed in the last thirty years as well

The trail certainly does seem to attract its share of liars, thieves, and scoundrels.

Sly
09-11-2007, 02:33
The trail certainly does seem to attract its share of liars, thieves, and scoundrels.

Wow. Sounds like your hike must of really sucked. :rolleyes: Too bad. I've met tons of awesome people, incuding a few blue-blazers whose only fault was hiking their own hike.

Blue Jay
09-11-2007, 02:46
Of those who "finish" up their thru-hikes, about what % hike the whole, marked trail. It seems that a lot of folks blue-blaze, yellow-blaze short sections for whatever reason, etc., but still proclaim that they have completed a thru. By the way, I'm not talking about folks missing a tenth here and there going into and out of a leanto on a blue-blaze, going around a blowdown and missing a few feet of trail, not walking across the 30 feet of pavement at a road crosing when getting a hitch into and out of town, etc. Any thoughts?

My thoughts. We are all sorry you are torn up with guilt about yellow blazing, but posting this BS is clearly not helping you. Get professional help.

Appalachian Tater
09-11-2007, 03:05

Is this a joke?

Certainly that would be a thru-hike from Georgia to Maine.

Someone who skipped about 150 miles of the A.T. and then said they hiked the whole trail would be a liar. The truth and the English language are not that malleable and you should at least be honest with yourself.

But who cares if you hike the whole trail or not? My firm belief is that you should live your life the way you want to live it and you should hike when and where you want to, as long as you're following the rules established by the landowner. Your plan sounds like a great way to avoid the crowds and "take the path not taken". Have fun!

Heater
09-11-2007, 07:12
Amen, and pass the ammo. SOBO Pride 4Eva

He was at the Rutland Hostel (Oooooo Scary!) on Sept. 2nd and hasn't been heard from since?!! :eek:

:D

Heater
09-11-2007, 07:37
I am going to register my hike with the Ministry of Silly Walks but they don't have patches. :(

Ministry of Silly Walks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w&mode=related&search=)

Time To Fly 97
09-11-2007, 07:53
Wow. Sounds like your hike must of really sucked. :rolleyes: Too bad. I've met tons of awesome people, incuding a few blue-blazers whose only fault was hiking their own hike.

Sly: There's gold in that hiker trash! LOL

Happy hiking!

TTF

Footslogger
09-11-2007, 09:13
[quote=Smile;404766]SoBo's seem in some way "tougher" to me, sort of like every one I meet is hiking "upstream" or something. :)

======================================

Met quite a few in 2003 who talked and ACTED tougher ...but that's about it.

No doubt, a southbound thru-hike is different than that of a northbound one and maybe the hikers (or at least their purpose/reasons/time constraints) ARE different in some way(s).

But TOUGHER ...nah

'Slogger

clured
09-12-2007, 11:15
By and large I thought that the people on the AT were cowards. Why hike if you don't revel in a little trial-by-fire? When the going gets tough, the tough get going. They don't slackpack, blue-blaze (I don't care how bad the weather is--wait it out), or skip sections, however short. They don't cheat. It's not that there's anything innately wrong with any of these things, just that it is foolish and dishonest to call yourself a thru-hiker if you partake in any of them. In fact, it seemed like a lot of the people on the AT were constantly trying to out-lazy eachother.

"I slackpacked 5 days last week!"
"Siiick man, I slacked half of Virginia"
"Pu**ies, I skipped all of Virginia"
"Yeeah man, we know how to live it up, not like hiking was ever an activity that emphasized self-reliance, commitment to effort, and the idea that the best things in life are the hardest!"
"No doubt, bro, lets hitchike 200 miles north to Damascus for Trail Days, drink and do drugs for a week, and then just head north from Damascus and still call ourselves thru-hikers!"
"Siiiiick"

Do whatever you want on the trail, but the next time you meet someone who is trying to actually thru-hike, show a little respect. They are trying to do what you have already failed to do.

Mags
09-12-2007, 11:35
B

Do whatever you want on the trail, but the next time you meet someone who is trying to actually thru-hike, show a little respect. They are trying to do what you have already failed to do.

Which blaze should I follow here? (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=14475):)

I wanna be a real thru-hiker some day...

Footslogger
09-12-2007, 11:42

===================================

...and THAT is the essence of HYOH.

Hard to imagine that I walked all the way from Georgia to Maine and failed.

'Slogger

The Weasel
09-12-2007, 11:43
I think "white blazing" is important, but only to one's self: I am proud that I've not missed one white blaze in the miles I've accumulated on the AT, but that's just about me and what I want to say to myself when I finally finish it. Others miss a few feet, or even a little more, for a variety of reasons. But that doesn't matter, unless they later try to fib about it to others. There aren't "rules", and if there are, I don't think any one here cares about them.

The Weasel

Sly
09-12-2007, 14:27
By and large I thought that the people on the AT were cowards. Why hike if you don't revel in a little trial-by-fire? When the going gets tough, the tough get going. They don't slackpack, blue-blaze (I don't care how bad the weather is--wait it out), or skip sections, however short. They don't cheat. It's not that there's anything innately wrong with any of these things, just that it is foolish and dishonest to call yourself a thru-hiker if you partake in any of them. In fact, it seemed like a lot of the people on the AT were constantly trying to out-lazy eachother.

That's one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read. Thanks for the laugh.:p

warren doyle
09-12-2007, 16:21
More of the same tiresome, libelous garbage by a person who doesn't even know me.

Internegator - 1
Liar, scoundrel, thief - 0

WB administrators - I guess if you are not going to uphold your users agreement, then I will have to resume the scorecard as my only defense against the few internet bullies.

Jack Tarlin
09-12-2007, 17:26
Actually, in the interests of fairness and accuracy, when it comes to admitting his history of avoiding user fees, sneaking into businesses and using services without paying for them, and defrauding people out of thousands of dollars over the years, Mr. Doyle has been proud, forthright, upfront, and honest about it.

Therefore, Tater, your calling him a "liar" back in Post#51 was a bit over the top, and you should probably consider withdrawing that part of your post.

Lone Wolf
09-12-2007, 17:28
move on folks. nothing to see here cept dead horse pummeling and warren bashing.

warren doyle
09-12-2007, 17:58
Post #65

"This is getting to be almost as bad as Bear Branch Rd. near Rt. 19E."

Lone Wolf
09-12-2007, 18:00
Post #65

"This is getting to be almost as bad as Bear Branch Rd. near Rt. 19E."

maybe you should relocate the trash to billville central landfill:banana

Appalachian Tater
09-12-2007, 18:35
Therefore, Tater, your calling him a "liar" back in Post#51 was a bit over the top, and you should probably consider withdrawing that part of your post.

He lies to himself if not to others.

hopefulhiker
09-12-2007, 19:34
Although I was a slackpacking fool I did go by the White Blazes...

emerald
10-02-2007, 19:19
I am going to register my hike with the Ministry of Silly Walks but they don't have patches. :(

Ministry of Silly Walks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w&mode=related&search=)

Does anyone know the record for the longest sustained silly-walk? I'd also like to know whether anyone has silly-walked every step of the A.T., either direction?

I'd think silly-walking would be an excellent topic for a workshop at The Gathering next year, both silly-walking technique and evaluating it.

frankc
10-02-2007, 19:44
Im new and all to this forum and At hiking. I just dont understand why there should be a debate here. I dont believe there is a such thing at FAILING the AT.Most people will try and thru hike the AT for their own personal reasons, if they fail or blue blaze was their choice, and they are fullfilling their personal goals not you. IF they lie about which one they did, why should it matter to you? Either way, they did what they could, they hiked a hell of a lot, thats one accomplishment anyone should be proud of. When (after college) I thru hike and if I need to blue blaze I am going to, and when I start in Gerogia and finish up in Maine, whos to say I didnt "turely" hike the trail.

rafe
10-02-2007, 20:05
I just dont understand why there should be a debate here.

That's easily explained, grasshopper, by the identity of the person who started the thread. (In internet parlance, the "original poster", or OP.) Desert Lobster is the ultimate troll. Note also that, after launching the thread, he doesn't participate at all in the cluster****** that follows.

weary
10-02-2007, 20:09
About the same percentage of WB who never deliberately violate a traffic law.

Weary

Ramble~On
10-02-2007, 20:24
WHATEVER.

I hike for me....I don't hike for titles, rank, patches, recognition, records or WHATEVER. I hiked the AT in 1996 my way, on my terms and had a hell of a good time...cause it really was all about ME.

I don't call myself a thru-hiker or claim to have thru hiked.
I call myself a hiker and what I do and how I hike matters only to me.

If someone completes a thru and is a complete purist...does that make them any "better" or give them any "status" over any other hiker ?
Kudos go out to them if that was their goal and they reached it but should they be held in some "special" regard ?

It may matter to some but it doesn't to me.
I hike my own hike.....ah, cause it's my hike.

What bothers me is that b*%ch Barbie...she thinks it's all about her..
It's not...IT'S ALL ABOUT ME...me me me me me me me me me

rafe
10-02-2007, 20:30
The official standards to be a 2000-miler are quite clear.

They are, and going strictly by their rules, I don't qualify. All the same, I'm gonna get that "certificate" and frame it and hang it on my wall, and smile. I've earned it. That certificate, plus a token, is worth a ride on the subway.

Lone Wolf
10-02-2007, 20:31
Im new and all to this forum and At hiking. I just dont understand why there should be a debate here. I dont believe there is a such thing at FAILING the AT.Most people will try and thru hike the AT for their own personal reasons, if they fail or blue blaze was their choice, and they are fullfilling their personal goals not you. IF they lie about which one they did, why should it matter to you? Either way, they did what they could, they hiked a hell of a lot, thats one accomplishment anyone should be proud of. When (after college) I thru hike and if I need to blue blaze I am going to, and when I start in Gerogia and finish up in Maine, whos to say I didnt "turely" hike the trail.

like running the boston marathon. if you cut off a few miles you still ran it. what's a few miles. same thing, no?

ed bell
10-02-2007, 20:32
Well, nevermind the fact that the elusive desert lobster would never tell their own story relating to this thread.;) Strange that he/she chimed in on the smoking witchhunt so I'd bet that he/she is a smoker. It was the first time I remember the lobster/desert lobster responding to anything. Now I feel bad for knowing that.:D

SGT Rock
10-02-2007, 20:36
I only do it for the money.

MOWGLI
10-02-2007, 20:44
I like Blue Jay's standard. Unless you lick every white blaze, you're not really a purist.

Jester2000
10-02-2007, 21:50
. . .I have to agree with Appalachian Tater and say that I have rarely heard anyone who claims they are a "white blazer" criticize anyone for blue blazing or negate their accomplishment.

I have. Lots.

Real hikers they are.

Okay, Yoda.

. . .One of the virtues of being SOBO is that you're not with big crowds of other hikers, except when you're crossing the NOBO herd in Maine and NH . . . When SOBOs meet, it's much more a matter of "Thank God I finally found someone else still hiking!" instead of a pissing contest.
Marta/Five-Leaf

Tell that to the herd of SOBOs I saw at The Doyle two weeks ago. I'm beginning to think this whole SOBO solitude thing is a load of horse pucky.

Hike Your Own Hike.

Kirby

Actually, "Hike Jester's Hike" would, in my opinion, lead to a better experience for virtually everyone. I expect to see T-Shirts.

Jersey Joe -- see what I mean?

PS -- I show respect to people who deserve and earn my respect. When I bump into people with this kind of attitude, guess what they get.

Tin Man
10-02-2007, 22:15
They are, and going strictly by their rules, I don't qualify. All the same, I'm gonna get that "certificate" and frame it and hang it on my wall, and smile. I've earned it. That certificate, plus a token, is worth a ride on the subway.

Some hike for certificates (with and without subway tokens), some hike for a cause, some hike to find meaning, some hike for adventure, and some hike just to hike. I hike for pins, pins that I push into a map on my wall marking start and stop points for my section hikes. These pins are closer together and appear less frequent than I would like to see - stupid pins.

The Weasel
10-02-2007, 22:16
White blazer is anyone who walks past one white blaze. That's about 100 percent or more.

Beyond that, who gives a dump?

tw

rafe
10-02-2007, 22:19
Some hike for certificates (with and without subway tokens), some hike for a cause, some hike to find meaning, some hike for adventure, and some hike just to hike. I hike for pins, pins that I push into a map on my wall marking start and stop points for my section hikes. These pins are closer together and appear less frequent than I would like to see - stupid pins.

Or to quote one of my favorite tunes (http://www.dead.net/song/terrapin-station)...

Some rise, some fall, some climb
To get to Terrapin :D

Marta
10-02-2007, 22:21
[quote=Shades of Gray;418168]Does anyone know the record for the longest sustained silly-walk? [quote]

I didn't silly-walk the entire AT, but I did walk for most of a month without bending one knee. I think it looked pretty silly.

Tin Man
10-02-2007, 22:24
Funny. Happy Trails Dead Head. ;)