PDA

View Full Version : USFS 89 Whitetop Mtn Rd in VA

Cerridwen
09-10-2007, 14:59
I am planning a short trek to Buzzard Rock in Grayson Highlands State Park in VA. I have been warned that USFS is not paved and thus it is not recommended that you use this road unless you have a truck or four wheel drive. But this is the nearest road crossing, and this was the road I planned on using to pick up the trail. I have a ford contour-not the beefiest car, but is a 6 cylinder and has some hunky snow tires. Does anyone know how bad this road actually is, or has been up it recently? Thanks

Cerridwen
09-10-2007, 15:00
I'm talking about USFS 89-did I specify that already? Oops.

Lone Wolf
09-10-2007, 15:02
I am planning a short trek to Buzzard Rock in Grayson Highlands State Park in VA. I have been warned that USFS is not paved and thus it is not recommended that you use this road unless you have a truck or four wheel drive. But this is the nearest road crossing, and this was the road I planned on using to pick up the trail. I have a ford contour-not the beefiest car, but is a 6 cylinder and has some hunky snow tires. Does anyone know how bad this road actually is, or has been up it recently? Thanks

the road is not bad at all. it is graded frequently. you should have no problem driving up there. there is a big parking lot where the trail crosses. buzzard rock is not in grayson highlands btw.

CaseyB
09-10-2007, 15:08
I was literally there yesterday, its fine for anything burlier than a skateboard. Dusty & dry.

Cerridwen
09-11-2007, 01:16
thanks so much, folks- will follow through with original plan!