PDA

View Full Version : LED lights

whitefoot_hp
09-10-2007, 16:29
From time to time i have seen those small, single LED, handheld lights that are for key chains or for small convienent use. anyone know where to find those?

Jimmers
09-10-2007, 16:40
All over really. They're usually found (in Philadelphia at least) near the checkout aisles in automotive stores and sporting goods stores. You can pick them up online as well.

Mags
09-10-2007, 16:40
From time to time i have seen those small, single LED, handheld lights that are for key chains or for small convienent use. anyone know where to find those?

Photon Lights (http://www.photonlight.com/LED-Keychain-Flashlights-s/1.htm)are one of the more popular models.

There are similar lights as well from different companies.

Furlough
09-10-2007, 16:47
If you can't find them locally Campmor has a variety of them to choose from.

Furlough

wrongway_08
09-10-2007, 16:48
Nope, no real uses for the key chain ones. Not enough light output and they fall apart quick.

Furlough
09-10-2007, 16:57
Nope, no real uses for the key chain ones. Not enough light output and they fall apart quick.

My experince is a bit different. I have one of the Inova brand keychain lights (have had it for about 15 months). I carried it with me for a year in Iraq, used it frequently and it is still intact and functioning. I have also used the same one on a couple of 2-3 day hikes to journal with at night. When it is pitch black out it puts out plenty of light.

Furlough

Furlough

Roland
09-10-2007, 17:15
Whitefoot,

Single LED keychain lights are available from dollar stores to your favorite outfiiter. Prices range, accordingly.

Before buying, note the type of switch on the light. Some units employ a momentary, squeeze type switch. While this might work to find a keyhole, it wouldn't be very practical around camp.

Other lights use a slide switch. Get one that locks, or has positive detents. Otherwise, the battery may be dead, when you need it most.

Aside from the switch mechanism, there isn't much difference in quality between the dollar store variety, and the $20 brand name. In both cases, the battery and the LED are made overseas.

whitefoot_hp
09-10-2007, 17:18
i just ordered ten keychain lights off ebay, with 10mm LED bulbs, which are supposed to be bright as hell. 12 bucks including shipping from hong kong. gotta love globalization... i figure if they suck at least i have ten of them...

Nearly Normal
09-10-2007, 21:45
Velcro dots on your hat and light.

Nearly Normal

greentick
09-10-2007, 22:47
My experince is a bit different. I have one of the Inova brand keychain lights (have had it for about 15 months). I carried it with me for a year in Iraq, used it frequently and it is still intact and functioning. I have also used the same one on a couple of 2-3 day hikes to journal with at night. When it is pitch black out it puts out plenty of light.

Furlough

Furlough

I have had a similar good experience with that light. 8mos of daily use in Afghanistan and no problems until I sent it thru the wash/dryer after I got home. That killed it.

I have some of the PrincetonTec Impulse lights they had on sale on Campmor. All work great (I bought a bunch) except for the one I gave to my now 3/then 1 year old. Never thought that 30seconds of saliva and gums would be so devastating to a waterproof light.:D

FanaticFringer
09-10-2007, 22:58
They work great as a backup to your headlamp. I keep it on me in case my headlamp dies suddenly and then I have light to find my backup batteries.

Smile
09-10-2007, 23:58
Photon Lights (http://www.photonlight.com/LED-Keychain-Flashlights-s/1.htm)are one of the more popular models.

There are similar lights as well from different companies.

I use one of these, nice to have along, and the feature that allows it to be "clicked on" is nice for inside the tent at night. :)

Tennessee Viking
09-11-2007, 02:08
I got all mine at Target. I have a single LED penlight that I use, and its strong, $7. I had peopel say they saw it from a quarter to half a mile a way. Then I have LED head lamp (2 white LEDS/1 Rrd LED), $9, that I use when I walk off trail at night.

I love LEDs better than Halogens/incandescents. LEGs are bright, can take abuse, takes a long time for them burn out, and have better battery life.

aaroniguana
09-11-2007, 07:18
I also use Photon II in conjunction with a three LED headlamp that clips to the bill or brim of my hat. I tried the Innova lights when Sunny's Surplus went out of business. Bought several at half price. Just not as bright as the PhotonII. It's all I carry.

whitefoot_hp
09-11-2007, 09:49
They work great as a backup to your headlamp. I keep it on me in case my headlamp dies suddenly and then I have light to find my backup batteries.

i am actually aiming to replace my headlamp with one of these small lights, if i can find one that is pretty reliable. i am trying to minimize the gear i take as much as possible, and i usually don't rely heavily upon a light anyway...

Cannibal
09-11-2007, 10:14
You're gonna laugh, but go to Walmart and buy the Rayovac (spelling?) brand head lamp. It is about the size of a fat silver dollar and weighs a couple of grams. It clips to your hat and has an on/off button. I've been using the same one for over 2 years. I've not used it hiking only car camping, but it is still going stong and I think it cost about $3.

Mags
09-11-2007, 10:21
I use one of these, nice to have along, and the feature that allows it to be "clicked on" is nice for inside the tent at night. :)

I used an orange Photon II on both the PCT and the CDT. Worked pretty well for what I needed it for.

Panzer1
09-11-2007, 13:41
I always keep a single sight Photon for using inside my tent. Because of the small size of the tent, a single light photon is all you need to produce enough light to read a map.

Panzer

faarside
09-11-2007, 14:46
As a few others have mentioned, the little 'utility' LEDkeychain lights are widely available at many locations such as RiteAid, WalMart, and Walgreens.

For a really useful, well-built LED light, my personal favorite is the PrincetonTEC Attitude, available from Campmor for around $13. Great bang-for-the-buck! Here's the link...

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=12958925&memberId=12500226

This light can be pocketed, pack-clipped, stowed, and fits neatly into a flashlight headband, also available from Campmor...

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=669&memberId=12500226

Happy Trails !

icemanat95
09-11-2007, 16:02

I've had a Photon II on my keychain for something like 5 years now. I've changed out the batteries a couple times without incident. They work well within their limited parameters. Completely insufficient on a backpacking trip, however. You need something with better output. There are many good LED headlamps on the market now, with good power and light weight.
\
LEDs will eventually be the dominant lighting source. The latest LED bulbs put out an amazing amount of light and last a long time. I've got LED bulbs in my mini-maglites as well as in my 3 D-cell Maglite. All are far brighter than the original bulbs and last much longer. (none of them are suited to a hike either though.

Anita Fleer
08-09-2012, 02:02
I keep it on me in case my headlamp dies suddenly and then I have light to find my backup batteries.

DaveSail
08-09-2012, 02:44
This outfit has lights of all kinds :

http://www.brightguy.com/ David V. Webber

DaveSail
08-09-2012, 02:48
The RAMSEY Electronic Kits people sell these :
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=P-SERIES Dvid V. Webber

atraildreamer
08-09-2012, 10:34
Picked up a single LED light at Wal-Mart that uses 1 AAA battery. I used to replace my MagLite Solitire that I had been using as a back-up light to my full-size MagLite when doing security. (If you have ever had a flashlight bulb burn out at 3 AM in the middle of a dark warehouse, you'll appreciate a back-up light. :eek: )

Don't overlook the free lights that you can get with the coupons from Harbor Freight Tools. They have 9 LEDs, use 3 AAA batteries, give off a LOT of light, and the price is right! :D

bear bag hanger
08-09-2012, 14:16
i am actually aiming to replace my headlamp with one of these small lights, if i can find one that is pretty reliable. i am trying to minimize the gear i take as much as possible, and i usually don't rely heavily upon a light anyway...
I've used to photon lights for quite a while. I have a white one for general around camp use and a red one I hang from my hammock, so I can find it after a midnight pee break. I have tried to use the white one as a headlamp and can tell you they won't work for that. Just not enough light for hiking on a trail.

MuddyWaters
08-11-2012, 23:21
There is no comparison between the Photon and other small keychain lights. The photon at one time had the ONLY brightest LEDs in the world, they bought up the whole supply. It is an amazing little light. On lowest level, batteries will last a long time. On highest it will of course go fast.

Bring spare batts and you have like 20hrs of light for .6 oz, and it clips on your hat. Whats not to like. I carry two, and they are my only light sources. If I had to night hike, I would carry a zebralight H51 though

leaftye
08-12-2012, 01:48
I get mine cheap from dealextreme. I think it's ~$2 for 10. It's bright enough for me to get around camp and tie off my Ursack to a tree away from camp.

Wise Old Owl
08-12-2012, 02:20
I have a Coast that ATRAILDREAMER describes a AAA bright for keychain use. I use headlamps from Princton Tec - and avoid all Lithium models with watch batteries.

http://www.coastportland.com/hp4-led-flashlight.htm very light and strong body - deep reflector.

But for work this is a favorite of mine.

MAGLIGHT updated a few years ago blowing away all the kryptonite bulbs and Led kits and previous LED lights that are practically being given away. The deep reflector adds an inch and the weight is a touch above 4oz with batteries, Do not look for this in the check out, Lowes and Depot have them in the back and they are a little hard to find....

http://www.maglite.com/aa_Cell_LED.asp

atraildreamer
08-23-2012, 11:45
MAGLIGHT updated a few years ago blowing away all the kryptonite bulbs and Led kits and previous LED lights that are practically being given away. The deep reflector adds an inch and the weight is a touch above 4oz with batteries, Do not look for this in the check out, Lowes and Depot have them in the back and they are a little hard to find....

I bought a LED conversion kit for my full-size 3 cell MagLite about 4 years ago. Don't know how long the batteries will last...I haven't had to change them since the conversion to LED. :)

leaftye
08-23-2012, 13:48
I could see 4 years ago, but why get a Maglite now other than it's made in the USA?

atraildreamer
08-24-2012, 11:12
I could see 4 years ago, but why get a Maglite now other than it's made in the USA?

I have used other lights while doing security work. On all of them, the switch failed. I have never had a switch failure with a Maglite. They stand behind their product and have an excellent warranty.

BTW- A Maglite makes an excellent club if someone jumps out at you in the aforementioned dark warehouse at 3 am! Why do you think the cops hold the light overhand when they pull you over? If you try anything...you're going to get a headache!