PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing tents

Bruce Hudson
09-10-2007, 20:16
Special sales at REI are making my life more complex. There was Labor Day-- picked up the Sierra Designs Lightening and although I hadn't had a chance to use it, considered myself a happy man.

Then REI popped their 20% discount coupon and advertised the Big Agnes Seedhouse II for $134.93 and it's subject to my 20% discount.

WOW!! I had looked at the Seedhouse II initially but at $300 plus I couldn't justify it.

I ran to my local REI, pulled the Seedhouse out of the bin and presented it at checkout assuming I was buying a $300 plus tent for a bit over $100 with my 20% discount.

Not so fast. Read the small print: "special buy." This Seadhouse II was originally $199 or was it originally anything? Min. weight is up over a pound compared to the real thing, and all the sudden the REI folks are distinguishing between the Seedhouse "Light" and just the Seedhouse.

OK, I didn't get my steal. But it's still the same weight at the Lightening and the top includes a lot more mesh.

I don't know what to think about this notion of "special buy." Are these the old version out of somebody's warehouse? Were they made especially for REI for this occassion? What about the quality? Other than the weight difference can one expect the same quality as the "Seadhouse Light?"

It still looks like a hell of at tent for something like $109, and although not as light as I had hoped, it's about the same as the Lightening.

Any comments on the relative quality between the two-- waterproofness? etc. (Sierra Designs explicitly says to seal the seams on their tent.)

Bruce Hudson
[email protected]
Raleigh, NC

jnetx
09-10-2007, 20:43
"Sierra Designs explicitly says to seal the seams on their tent."

I used my Lightning for at least a year before I sealed it, and even then I only sealed becasue I had other gear that did need it, the Lightning had never given me any wet nights

Smile
09-10-2007, 23:32
Somehow I feel like I have done "customizing" work to my tent if I seal it, again. Guess this adds a very minimal amount of weight as well.

I had a SMD LunaSoloE, wish it had come seam sealed, that was a long job.

Hikes with a stick
09-11-2007, 00:42
I've taken it on 3 mutliday trips, and numerous overnighters. I've only been rained on twice, and one of those times I did get a little damp. It was a torrential downpour, and I could feel the rain misting through the fly and onto my face. It was during a good storm at the doll flats campsite. I did not wake up with a wet sleeping bag in the morning though... No condensation problems either.

I really like this tent. The only thing I don't like about it is the single door. Its just the right size for my GF and I.

LIhikers
09-11-2007, 13:28
My wife and I have a Sierra Designs Sirrius 3 that we bought a few years ago. The instructions said to seal the seams, but being the procrastinator I am, I still haven't done it. We've been in all kinds of rain storms with it and the seams haven't leaked.