PDA

View Full Version : Beginning section hiking

Tennessee Viking
09-11-2007, 02:00
I have been really going day hiking hard this last year from the Smokies to Damascus on the AT, and been planning out possible one to two night section hikes.

So far, I have done Carvers Gap to US 19E. And I have been thinking about doing 19E to Dennis Cove with a night at Mountaineer Falls when the weather cools down.

Wondering what other sections I can do that are good starting sections going solo? I want to concentrate mainly on the Tennessee & North Carolina areas first. Don't have a tent yet, so I will be needing to stay at shelters. And I pack on the heavier side.

SnakebiteSurvivor
09-11-2007, 02:26
A good section to do solo is between Deep Gap NC and Rock Gap NC. This makes a big loop around and you can cut off the "neck" of the loop by taking the Kimsey Creek Trail, so you don't need a shuttle. This was the first two-night section hike I did, several years ago.

Tennessee Viking
09-11-2007, 02:46
Another question, should I stay in a northbound direction, or should I switch up direction for better rest points, and easier climb or grade?

LIhikers
09-11-2007, 13:06
The great thing about section hiking is that you get to hike the trail at your own convenience. In the direction you want, in the time of year you want, at a speed that's comfortable for you.

My wife and I do some sections northbound and some southbound. If we find a good place to park our car we'll use it twice. We'll hike one section north to the parking spot and then hike a second section, at another time, south to the parking spot.