PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for October 6,7,8th Trip

mts4602
09-11-2007, 12:13
My school has fall break coming up three weeks from this Friday and I would like to take a trip to the Smokies for about 3 days. It will either be me and another buddy or a few more people from a backpacking and hiking class I am taking.

I would love some suggestions on a good loop we could take. Or possibly not a loop if there is an available shuttle. It doesn't have to be on the AT. I am also considering Davenport Gap to possibly Max Patch or a little farther. That seems as though it would be a pain due to having to take 2 cars and driving the hour or so between starting and ending points.

Any ideas would be appreciated. 7-8 miles a day would probably be the max unless it is a lot of downhill. I anticipate going slow.

Thanks,

MTS

Just a Hiker
09-11-2007, 12:23
Hey there MTS. One idea could be for you to park your vehicle at Standing Bear Farm Hostel (just south of Davenport Gap), and then hike to Hot Springs. Then Curt Owens (Owner of Standing Bear Farm) could shuttle you back to your car. That section has a few climbs, but overall, it's not bad, and can be done in 3 days. Curt's number is (423) 487-0014. By the way, Louisville is my college football team this year!!

just Jim

Midway Sam
09-11-2007, 12:24
I walked the 33 miles from Newfound Gap to I-40 in 3 days back in July and it was the perfect 3-day trip for me. Check with Curtis @ Standing Bear about the possibility of parking at his place and getting a shuttle to Newfound Gap. I'm not sure if he shuttles tat far, but it would be worth a shot.

http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com/

mts4602
09-11-2007, 12:30
Both of those are sections of the AT that I have wanted to do. But do you think 30+ miles in 3 days is possible for some people that have never actually been on a backpacking trip before? I am confident in myself as I have done it before and know what I'm getting into but I am not so sure about some people who may come with me. As of right now I don't know who is going.

mts4602
09-11-2007, 12:34
By the way, I really would love to do the Davenport Gap to Hot Springs section.

Oh, and Louisville is my team too, haha. We will know something about them after this weekend...I am worried.

Midway Sam
09-11-2007, 12:34
Both of those are sections of the AT that I have wanted to do. But do you think 30+ miles in 3 days is possible for some people that have never actually been on a backpacking trip before? I am confident in myself as I have done it before and know what I'm getting into but I am not so sure about some people who may come with me. As of right now I don't know who is going.

Now that's some new information. I didn't find the section from Newfound to I-40 to be difficult at all. It's a little bit of uphill the first day, and a few ups and down around Mt. Guyot but nothing terrible. I think a reasonably in-shape person with a reasonable load on their back should have no problems with it.

I would HIGHLY recommend the mile-and-a-half-or-so side trip to the Mt. Cammerer fire tower. The views are the best I've had so far on the AT.

Just a Hiker
09-11-2007, 12:37

Hey MTS. If you hike north from Standing Bear Farm, you only have 3 climbs worth talking about....Snowbird Mountain, Max Patch, and Walnut Moutain. The rest of the time it's pretty much down hill. I think it's about 38 miles total distance, but you guys are young and can do it!!

Just Jim

Midway Sam
09-11-2007, 12:37
By the way, I really would love to do the Davenport Gap to Hot Springs section.

I would recommend I-40 as your starting point rather than Davenport Gap. It's much easier to get picked up or get a shuttle from I-40 from what I've been told.

Oh, and Louisville is my team too, haha. We will know something about them after this weekend...I am worried.

If there is any hope of the Cats ever beating the Cards again, this is the year. That being said, the Cats usually find a way to roll over and play dead in big games like this one.

Midway Sam
09-11-2007, 12:38
Hey MTS. If you hike south from Standing Bear Farm, you only have 3 climbs worth talking about....Snowbird Mountain, Max Patch, and Walnut Moutain. The rest of the time it's pretty much down hill. I think it's about 38 miles total distance, but you guys are young and can do it!!

Just Jim

Wouldn't that be north of Standing Bear?

Just a Hiker
09-11-2007, 12:41
Yeah, Midway...you are right...I hike sobo alot....I fixed it!! LOL!!

Just Jim

Gray Blazer
09-11-2007, 12:45
See my advice in the thread entitled Advice for a 4 day trip.

mts4602
09-11-2007, 19:31
While I really want to do the section to Hot Springs it just seems to far for people who have never done this before. Once I find out who wants to go I can make a decision on what to do. Newfound Gap to I-40 is also a good idea. I really think 10 miles per day should be the max though. Gray Blazer, I liked your idea until I started adding up the miles and realized it was a couple days of 15milers, haha.

mts4602
09-13-2007, 22:14
So my buddy from high school is coming with me. He's a Sgt in the National Guard as well as in ROTC at our university so I think he can handle anything.

Where to go, where to go...soo many choices..so little time

Oh yeah, guess what, he works at Dicks sporting goods and gets "prorated" discounts on a ton of stuff. He just bought a Mountain Hardware Summit jacket which retails for around $200 right? ...got it for $65. Not fair at all!

RedneckRye
09-14-2007, 19:27
Go to Gettysburg for the ALDHA Gathering.

springerfever
09-15-2007, 08:20
Mt Cammerer is a great lookout and only about five miles from Davenport Gap, but be advised that it is all uphill and a pretty strenous climb. Not sure if I would take a group of tenderfoots with overloaded packs up this route.

Sly
09-15-2007, 11:05
Go to Gettysburg for the ALDHA Gathering.

That's what I was going to suggest.

An alternative from starting at Standing Bear Farm is to have Curtis drop you at Brown Gap. It's only 23 miles to Hot Springs.

Midway Sam
09-16-2007, 08:27
If there is any hope of the Cats ever beating the Cards again, this is the year. That being said, the Cats usually find a way to roll over and play dead in big games like this one.

No. 9 Louisville: 34
Kentucky: 40

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/scoreboards/2007/09/15/36036_viewcast_recap.html

:banana :banana YEAH BABY!!! :banana :banana

JAK
09-16-2007, 15:43
My suggestion is go alone, or just you and your buddy, and do it some place handy, and hike it two days in and the one or two days back out to the car the same way you came, unless you can do it by public transportation. Cheers.

JAK
09-16-2007, 15:50
Two experienced guys plus one novice might not be too bad, but when the novices outnumber the experienced guys... well, let's just you will likely not make that mistake ever again. When someone shows up with a ghetto blaster, wearing jeans, and several bags of chips and 2 litre bottles of soda, despite all your warnings and instructions to the contrary, just shoot yourself and get it over with. Have fun.

mts4602
09-16-2007, 16:02
It's just going to be us two. So that is good. Don't have to worry about any "ghetto blasters" haha.