PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike in 2008

Jailbird321
09-11-2007, 16:59
Hello all,
Firstly, thank you in advance for any opinions offered to me. My brother and I are doing a 3 week section hike starting at Springer Mt in early 2008. I am just curious if anyone has any opinion on the best time to start this hike. I am from Illinois, so I know very little about the weather in GA that time of year.
Also, we are planning on flying into Atlanta on Thursday night. would it be better to find a place to sleep close to the trailhead(do not want to do approach trail), or find a hotel in Atlants and shuttle the next morning? Any links to a shuttle service that could make that trip in the morning depending on where we stay?
Once again, thank you for your insight.

Lone Wolf
09-11-2007, 17:03
Hello all,
Firstly, thank you in advance for any opinions offered to me. My brother and I are doing a 3 week section hike starting at Springer Mt in early 2008. I am just curious if anyone has any opinion on the best time to start this hike. I am from Illinois, so I know very little about the weather in GA that time of year.
Also, we are planning on flying into Atlanta on Thursday night. would it be better to find a place to sleep close to the trailhead(do not want to do approach trail), or find a hotel in Atlants and shuttle the next morning? Any links to a shuttle service that could make that trip in the morning depending on where we stay?
Once again, thank you for your insight.

i would start around 15 April. call the AT Hiker Hostel for lodging and shuttle 770-312-7342 www.hikerhostel.com

max patch
09-11-2007, 17:09
i would start around 15 April. call the AT Hiker Hostel for lodging and shuttle 770-312-7342 www.hikerhostel.com

this is good advice. i was going to say the EXACT same thing but LW beat me to it.

-SEEKER-
09-11-2007, 17:10
In 2006 I started April 8 and the flowers were just starting to bloom. This year I started April 1 and I was too early. I'm not really into the botany thing but since you are doing a section hike as I was it is worth waiting so you don't miss them. I also avoided the approach trail. If you can get a ride up USFS#42 just hike the .9 mile toward Springer and camp there near the shelter.

bigmac_in
09-12-2007, 15:08
LW has it exactly right.

Deerleg
09-14-2007, 07:57
I lived in Illinois and ran around Chicago a lot in the early 90’s…love that town, but not the easiest place to do mountain training. Take your time and enjoy it and stay healthy! Good luck to you and your bro.

Small Steps
09-14-2007, 08:41
I did Springer to Newfound Gap this year. I went about May 15th and missed he rodo's by about a week :-( except for the very tops of the mountains. If I could pick my time to leave again I would go about May 1st.

Hind site is always 20/20….. :-)

excuses
09-14-2007, 23:05
The earlier the more cool and possible rain. The later the warmer and more humidity.

Tennessee Viking
09-15-2007, 00:23
I am just starting up overnight sections, but usually the thru-hikers I talk to suggest hitting the Smokies after the last snow fall, or try to hit the Smokies during a stretch of good weather. I have seen early birds start as early as Christmas.

I hiked a couple miles north of Newfound Gap in February, and the trail had aa foot of ice on top.

The main pack should start around mid or end of March.

But if you want some real fun for your section hike, hit Dennis Cove or Damascus around Trail Days. Nothing but fun, food, and friends. Kincora Hostel & the Eastman club sponsor the huge maintenance outing called Hardcore. And alot of thrus, sectioners, and reunion hikers pop in for this. I believe that the outing will head to Unaka Mtn summit or below Grassy Ridge for relocation projects.