PDA

View Full Version : Trail Death in Georgia

Pedestrian
11-06-2003, 14:59
Copied from Geogia AT Club e-mail list....

A 47 year old man was found dead at a campsite along theTrail just north of Jarrard Gap late yesterday. The local authorities believe the death was not from foul play.

Does anybody know any more information about this?

Footslogger
11-07-2003, 12:42
Anyone have more information on this incident ?? Where was this first mentioned ??

Thanks in advance ...

Pedestrian
11-07-2003, 13:20
The GATC has a Yahoo group that I subscribe to. It was posted on that group. I'll get on that group and ask for more info. I've done news searches and have come up empty.

Miss Janet
11-07-2003, 14:20
The man that died in Ga was section hiker called "Earthworm". He started hiking on the 23rd and his abandoned tent and gear was found by a hiker on the 5th of November. The authorities found his body "near" the campsite. He probably died around the end of October and no cause of death has been released although foul play is not suspected.

Pedestrian
11-07-2003, 14:51
Thanks.
Were did you get this information?

Miss Janet
11-07-2003, 14:58
Hey Pedestrian... you know, I could tell you buthen I would have to ...well you know how it goes. Actually, a friend of mine from down your way found the campsite and noticed that it seemed to be abandoned. He notified authorities by cell phone.

Pedestrian
11-07-2003, 15:39
Miss Janet

Thanks so much. I even called Wes at Mountain Crossings ( the store at Neels Gap) to see what he knew. Nobody knew anything. My wife works for the local paper in Dahlonega and they knew nothing about it. It just goes to show how in touch the people of this forum are on trail matters.

Thanks again. I'm glad that you don't have to kill me ....or what ever.

Pedestrian
11-07-2003, 15:49
Your friend was very fortunate not to have found the body himself. Can you imagine the condition of the body? He was lying in the woods for 2 weeks? I’m sure he was fed on by various creatures.
Did no one miss him?
Wasn’t he expected to check in with someone?
Wild questions ramble through my mind.
Wow! Folks it’s always good to leave an itinerary with someone and to check in when possible.

Former Easy
12-21-2003, 08:04
Any more info on this story? I hiked with an Earthworm in February 2002 on and off thru Georgia, he was around 47 years old. He liked to camp by himself and never used shelters. Acorrding to him he lived with his aging mother in Georgia around Gainsville and was unemployed. He said he has been hiking in Georgia and North Carolina for many years, his gear was very old, you could tell he didn't have alot of money and prefered to be by himself.

Footslogger you met him the day you met me at Mountain Crossings, he was the tall guy with the beard I was talking to with the souther drawl. I have a picture of him I will scan if I can get my scanner working again.

hacksaw
12-21-2003, 13:13
Any more info on this story? I hiked with an Earthworm in February 2002 on and off thru Georgia, he was around 47 years old. He liked to camp by himself and never used shelters. Acorrding to him he lived with his aging mother in Georgia around Gainsville and was unemployed. He said he has been hiking in Georgia and North Carolina for many years, his gear was very old, you could tell he didn't have alot of money and prefered to be by himself.

Footslogger you met him the day you met me at Mountain Crossings, he was the tall guy with the beard I was talking to with the souther drawl. I have a picture of him I will scan if I can get my scanner working again.
Look in The General section in this forum under my Thread "Trying to confirm a rumor" and you'll find all the details made public about my friend, Van "Earthworm" Mason the person left unnamed in this thread.

Hacksaw

Former Easy
12-21-2003, 17:51
Thanks Hacksaw, I didn't realize the other thread was there. Yes it sounds like the Earthworm I knew. I'm sorry to hear about this news, he was a nice guy. He was the the reason I dumped my purifier, he kept telling me I was wasting my time and that he had been drinking untreated water in the mountains all his life, well I haven't treated most my water since (unless its from a lake, pond or stagnent).