PDA

View Full Version : Staying warm mid Oct in NC

Deerleg
09-11-2007, 17:32
Looks like I will be heading to N Georgia the middle of October to section thru N Carolina up to Fontana Dam. I would like to carve another pound out of my pack by replacing my 44oz 20 degree down bag with the 25oz Old Rag Mnt quilt. I will use it in my HH with the nest and a small closed cell torso pad. I’m just a little concerned I won’t be warm enough. My guess is on the ridge it could be frosty by mid October. I used the HH with the Nest and down bag in February on the beach in Mississippi (without the pad) and did get quite chilled. It was unseasonably cold with nighttime lows in the mid 20’s. Just wondering how well the Nest, pad, and quilt will work.

Egads
09-11-2007, 18:36
Deerleg,

You should be good with a JRB ORM, Nest, & a CCF pad in a HH down to mid 20*s. You may consider adding a larger or second pad. Which quilt do you plan to use for the underquilt?

There is no telling what the weather will actually be doing during your hike, but Mts Sterling, Wayah Bald, & Mitchell have not dipped below 50* since last spring. I'm waiting on fall to arrive.

Egads

jettjames
09-11-2007, 20:03
hi, I'm not sure of the nest, but i hiked this spring, in march, with an eagles nest hammock and a speer pea pod, also had a 35 degree bag, I was WARM down to 5 degrees , hanging in the snow. I think the nest is comparable for the temps.

pt

Cuffs
09-11-2007, 22:42
***note to self to follow this thread, hiking in gsmnp in mid Oct...***

Deerleg
09-12-2007, 07:26
Deerleg,

You should be good with a JRB ORM, Nest, & a CCF pad in a HH down to mid 20*s. You may consider adding a larger or second pad. Which quilt do you plan to use for the underquilt?

Egads

I'm using the Nest as the underquilt...the sleep system would be the HH Ultralite Backpacker A-sym, Nest, CC pad, and the Old Rag Mnt quilt. Do I need an additional underquilt to go with the Nest assuming the lowest temps will be high 20's?

bigmac_in
09-12-2007, 15:06
Warm up a platypus full of water and take it to bed with you. That will help keep you warm.

Deerleg
09-13-2007, 19:19
Did lots of tent camping in the mid 80's in PA and built ridiculously large fires. I remember taking large rocks out of the fire, wrapping then in old towels and putting them in the tent on some of our winter camp outs. These days I carry a limited amount of fuel for cooking and practice no trace camping so a hot rock or hot water would be a bit of a luxury I think I am going to do without.:(

peter_pan
09-14-2007, 05:34
I'm using the Nest as the underquilt...the sleep system would be the HH Ultralite Backpacker A-sym, Nest, CC pad, and the Old Rag Mnt quilt. Do I need an additional underquilt to go with the Nest assuming the lowest temps will be high 20's?

Deerleg,

What you describe, properly suspended/used should be good into single digits....YMMV.

Pan

Deerleg
09-14-2007, 07:23
Deerleg,

What you describe, properly suspended/used should be good into single digits....YMMV.

Pan

Thanks Pan,
I was thinking the same thing. I should get the chance to test it out before I go as it’s likely we will have a few frosty nights here in NE Ohio before I head south next month.

DawgU
09-14-2007, 07:25
I haven't been able to use my set yet, but wouldn't it be warmer if you used the Old Rag for the UQ and the Nest for the OQ?

Deerleg
09-14-2007, 15:31
I haven't been able to use my set yet, but wouldn't it be warmer if you used the Old Rag for the UQ and the Nest for the OQ?

Sounds reasonable. Anybody out there with the Nest and ORM? Whats the warmer combination; Nest as under quilt and ORM as over quilt or is it warmer with the ORM under and Nest over? :-?

FanaticFringer
09-14-2007, 17:45
Sounds reasonable. Anybody out there with the Nest and ORM? Whats the warmer combination; Nest as under quilt and ORM as over quilt or is it warmer with the ORM under and Nest over? :-?

Definetely warmer underneath if the ORM is used as an underquilt. 3.5 inches of loft versus 2.5 for the Nest. Your clothing used can extend the temperature range of the Nest on top.

StarLyte
09-14-2007, 18:14
Hey Deerleg -

I would say pack as warm as you can carry, no chances.

Good luck on your hike.

oldfivetango
09-14-2007, 21:30
I'm curious what you guys wear to bed when you use the
ORM and nest.I am thinking about buying them but it is a
big investment and I really dont have a good place to spread
them out when not in use.
suggestions?
Oldfivetango

Egads
09-14-2007, 23:44
O5T

Hang the quilts in the closet with a spring loaded clothes hanger. No compression & they air out between uses.

Egads

FanaticFringer
09-15-2007, 01:23
I'm curious what you guys wear to bed when you use the
ORM and nest.I am thinking about buying them but it is a
big investment and I really dont have a good place to spread
them out when not in use.
suggestions?
Oldfivetango

You dont need both. Just use your existing bag on top like a quilt. Then get the Nest for the bottom. I usually pack clothing depending on expected temps. I've extended the range of my 30 degree No Sniveler top quilt down to 10 degrees with a few layers of thermals, balaclava, beanie, good wool sox, etc.

Deerleg
09-16-2007, 09:08
Set everything up in the back yard last night and did my 1st field-test with the ORM as the underquilt. It got down to 33* this morning and my impression was that the ORM was quite warm and the Nest was great as an overquilt. I was surprised at how much loft the Nest had as a overquilt when gathered around you compared to my 20* down bag. . Since I was used to using the slit on the Nest previously, to accommodate the opening in the A-sym, it took a while to figure out how to enter and exit the hammock using the ORM as an underquilt. At 1st I attempted to go thru the foot of the ORM and rigged it to expose more of the foot of the hammock, which was a bad idea as the underquilt in not properly positioned for optimum warmth. I discovered this morning you simply push the underquilt to one side to enter and exit.
:datz

I am still a rookie at rigging an underquilt…here’s a pix of how NOT to do it!
http://i9.tinypic.com/54006xz.jpg

You dont need both. Just use your existing bag on top like a quilt. ....
Its a weight savings that for me was from 44 oz. to 25oz. I guess you have to deside if its worth the $$ to save a little weight.

generoll
09-20-2007, 08:28
rather then begin a new thread I thought I'd piggyback on this one. Looking for some expert advice and opinion here.

several months ago someone mentioned that they had spent a night in a string hammock and were warmer then when they slept in one of the fabric hammocks. The speculation was that since the insulation from the sleeping bag was able to press through the openings on the hammock, there was useful insulation top and bottom. No one ever picked up on the idea and it hasn't been cold enough yet to test the theory, but I'm wondering. If you could find a way to attach a windblock underneath the hammock such that it didn't compress the insulation, but close enough to block heat loss from moving air would this be a feasible option? I guess what I want to know is if anyone has actually tried this and if so, how'd it work.

Any thoughts?

whitefoot_hp
09-20-2007, 11:44
sounds possible, generoll...

peter_pan
09-20-2007, 17:40
[QUOTE=Deerleg;407858]Set everything up in the back yard last night and did my 1st field-test with the ORM as the underquilt. It got down to 33* this morning and my impression was that the ORM was quite warm and the Nest was great as an overquilt. I was surprised at how much loft the Nest had as a overquilt when gathered around you compared to my 20* down bag. . Since I was used to using the slit on the Nest previously, to accommodate the opening in the A-sym, it took a while to figure out how to enter and exit the hammock using the ORM as an underquilt. At 1st I attempted to go thru the foot of the ORM and rigged it to expose more of the foot of the hammock, which was a bad idea as the underquilt in not properly positioned for optimum warmth. I discovered this morning you simply push the underquilt to one side to enter and exit.
:datz

I am still a rookie at rigging an underquilt…here’s a pix of how NOT to do it!
http://i9.tinypic.com/54006xz.jpg

Its a weight savings that for me was from 44 oz. to 25oz. I guess you have to deside if its worth the $$ to save a little weight.[/QUOTE

Your suspension system is not properly cinched with the second hitch just inboard of the HH sock cover on the end of the hammock body.... see the illustration on the JRB site... top of the products page.

Pan]

BillyBob58
09-21-2007, 08:59
hi, I'm not sure of the nest, but i hiked this spring, in march, with an eagles nest hammock and a speer pea pod, also had a 35 degree bag, I was WARM down to 5 degrees , hanging in the snow. I think the nest is comparable for the temps.

pt

Did you have a pad in the PeaPod, or are you an exceptionally warm sleeper? Warm at 5* is incredible performance from the PeaPod, the best model of which is rated to 20*. One more reason for me to get a PeaPod!

Nightwalker
09-21-2007, 10:56
Deerleg,

Pan

Pan,

Do you have anything similar to the UnderCover and UnderPad, at least as far as price? I'm thinking of getting the UnderCover and UnderPad, then adding a Nest as it gets colder. I'd think that the combo would be a good 4-season setup down here in the South, even at high elevations.

You guys have some good stuff, and your customer service rep is great, so I've been looking forward to spending some dough with you! :)

Ewker
09-21-2007, 11:16
check out the Speer stuff first www.speerhammocks.com

peter_pan
09-21-2007, 15:04
Pan,

Do you have anything similar to the UnderCover and UnderPad, at least as far as price? I'm thinking of getting the UnderCover and UnderPad, then adding a Nest as it gets colder. I'd think that the combo would be a good 4-season setup down here in the South, even at high elevations.

You guys have some good stuff, and your customer service rep is great, so I've been looking forward to spending some dough with you! :)

Night Walker,

Our old Weather Shield was about 1/3 the cost of a SSHH and sized to work with all the JRB quilts when used as under quilts....Long story but the material source dried up ( Machinery sold to China)...

We are working a new approach that will not be in production until the first of the year.... We are optimistic for it and expect another 20 % reduction in weight to 7 oz from the old models 9.4....

In the meantime simple use of the JRB Nest UQ alone will out perform your planned approach, as the HHSS does not have adequate clearance to allow full loft of three ( like the Nest) and /or four season quilts.

Pan

peanuts
09-21-2007, 15:21
pan, not till next year...ay carramba!!!!:O

BumpJumper
09-22-2007, 06:45
Ok yall, I need help here. I am new to the HH thing.
Please jot for me what all this is that you are saying.
What is:
ORM
Nest

I have been in a Hennessey. I know what the fly is, the underquilt but no idea what all yall are talking about. If I want to HH, I need to learn these things I gues...:D

Egads
09-22-2007, 08:14
ORM & Nest are down quilts made by Jacks "R" Better, a gear manufacturer who specializes in hammock essentials.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/

Old Rag Mountain (ORM) is their 3.5" loft winter quilt

Nest is their 2.5" loft three season under quilt, with a velcro closing slit to fit up to the hennessey hammock.

It's good stuff.

Egads

Deerleg
09-23-2007, 14:21
What is:
ORM
Nest...
Here they are side by side:
http://i18.tinypic.com/68m4gnt.jpg

http://i7.tinypic.com/4vstao2.jpg

The Old Rag Mountain can be used as a warmer underquilt as stated above and the Nest works fine as a overquilt.
We had night time temps in the 30's about a week ago and I used the above combo 2 nights and never have been that warm and comfortable in a hammock.