PDA

View Full Version : Treatment on new Sleeping Bag ??

TripleG
09-11-2007, 18:51
I just got my first sleeping bag, Western Mountaineering Ultralight.

Am I supposed to do a treatment on it if I am going to use a Bivy Bag Cover, and store it in a dry bag ?

I have read a couple posts about DWR treatment.....do I need that? ....if so please explain more on it ...

Thanks!
Mary

Footslogger
09-11-2007, 19:48
It most likely came with a durable water repellant surface treatment but that quicky abrades with repeated stuffing and unstuffing of the bag from a sack. Even with a bivy cover you can get condensation on the top surface of the bag.

I use a durable water repellant (DWR) spray on my down bags called Tectron.

http://www.bluemagic.com/extremewaterrepellent.html

It comes in a spray and is available for fabric/clothing and for leather products.

About every 3rd or 4th time I use my sleeping bag(s) I reapply the DWR treatment. I definitely notice a difference in terms of how the moisture sits on the surface of the bag instead of sinking in.

'Slogger

Daddy Longlegs
09-12-2007, 08:33
Great choice on a bag. I love my WM! Anyway you should be fine for awhile but later on WM recommends doing this (from their website)

Re-Treat the Outer Shell Fabric

At some point it may become necessary to re-treat the outer shell fabric to restore water repellency. We have been the most impressed with the performance of ReviveX Spray On Water Repellent. The instructions for applying Revivex call for the product (sleeping bag, garment, etc.) to be placed in a dryer on medium heat after applying the spray. A small amount of heat in the dryer helps set in the treatment without diminishing the fabric's breathability. Please be cautious, however, whenever you use a dryer for lightweight down products with specialized shell materials. Check for small burrs inside the dryer and make sure there are no safety pins or other small pins/items that could damage your valuable gear. Based on the different heat levels, sizes, and settings available on various commercial and residential dryers, its always best to remove your bag or garment periodically to make sure it isn't overheating.

Hope this helps.

slowandlow
09-13-2007, 11:08
Just another little thing, if you are going to use a WM Ultralight in a bivy bag, it had better be very cold out or you will roast in it. I think 0-10 degrees would be a more appropriate rating for that bag, its like an instant heater!