PDA

View Full Version : A question for all you stovies!!!

Passionphish
09-11-2007, 21:37
The current debate is this:

Which is more efficient in fuel savings? Boiling double the water? or using two fuel/stoves? I don't care which stove or fuel you use. I am focused on canister stoves and alcohol stoves. But don't let that limit your ideas! So what's the deal?

JAK
09-11-2007, 22:09
The most practical situation might be two hikers each with their own stove and sharing a meal together and not too worried about speed, other than how it effects efficiency. Should they use one burner or two? I would say the practical answer would be two use both stoves unless one stove/windscreen/pot system was known to be more efficient than the other.

More generally however, if you were to design a system specifically for heating up 2 litres to 180F or whatever, you would design it to heat up the 2 litres all at once, rather than 1 litre at a time. Larger systems should be capable of being more efficient. If speed is also a consideration there is less of an advantage. Optimized for efficiency alone, the larger system should be more efficient, though perhaps somewhat slower.

Footslogger
09-11-2007, 22:12

Which is more efficient in fuel savings? Boiling double the water? or using two fuel/stoves? I don't care which stove or fuel you use. I am focused on canister stoves and alcohol stoves. But don't let that limit your ideas! So what's the deal?

=================================

Just a SWAG here ...but I would tell you that "double the water" would be a better way to go in the long haul.

'Slogger

Skidsteer
09-11-2007, 22:14

Boiling twice the water in a larger pot so long as the weight of your pot increases no more than 100% over your solo pot weight.

JAK
09-11-2007, 22:20
So with two hikers cooking together, use whichever pot was biggest, and then whichever stove you thought would be most efficient with it, and whatever windscreen goes with the pot, or perhaps both windscreens is possible. Does that sound about right?

Username75
09-12-2007, 16:40
So with two hikers cooking together, use whichever pot was biggest, and then whichever stove you thought would be most efficient with it, and whatever windscreen goes with the pot, or perhaps both windscreens is possible. Does that sound about right?
On short hikes I use a smaller alcohol stove, i just bought 2 Gram Weenies i am very impressed with, and a couple of zelfs stoves I will enjoy
for longer hikes i take a Simon stove, and a hike-N-lite stove, as the burn hotter than most Alcohol stove. which means more care in cooking, but
that also means more cooking faster.
I like presurized pepsi Stoves like the mini bull designs, and ,Maxxron desighns for trecks of less than a week.
for day hikes and fishing it will be my mini zelf, or the Gram weeni with a swiss volcano type cookset, which is a cheaper kelly kettle setup
a Corked flask about 22 ounce and a Cup(12 ounce) that has a pot holder windscreen about :-? :-? 4 inch x 12 inch nested together.
with the gram weenie stove it does ramen nice.

zelph
09-12-2007, 21:49

It's more fuel efficient to boil double the water. It gets even better as you go up higher to 6 cups.

Let us say there are two hikers. 4 cups for the food and 2 cups for coffee, tea, hot chocolate etc.. 6 cups needed.

One would carry the 6 cup pot and the other would carry the stove and fuel.

Debate No More!!!!!!!:)

CoyoteWhips
09-13-2007, 08:29
One man, one stove. Two man, one stove. Twenty man, twenty stove.

The Army has some impressive field kitchens, but they've also got MREs.

At what point would a kitchen kit be too unweildy for a hike? I've seen those boy scout camp kitchen cabinets and you'd need some kind of a wagon to drag it along.

I have made stir fry for several people with my duel fuel coleman burner. It'd be amusing to see a wok tied to the outside of a pack. My thrift store steel wok weighs two pounds. The dome lid is 5.5 ounces, but taking off the big wooden knob would take an ounce off that. This week, Sam's Club has a titanium wok (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=128596) for $17.42, but I don't know how much it weighs.

Username75
09-13-2007, 13:32
One man, one stove. Two man, one stove. Twenty man, twenty stove.

The Army has some impressive field kitchens, but they've also got MREs.

At what point would a kitchen kit be too unweildy for a hike? I've seen those boy scout camp kitchen cabinets and you'd need some kind of a wagon to drag it along.

I have made stir fry for several people with my duel fuel coleman burner. It'd be amusing to see a wok tied to the outside of a pack. My thrift store steel wok weighs two pounds. The dome lid is 5.5 ounces, but taking off the big wooden knob would take an ounce off that. This week, Sam's Club has a titanium wok (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=128596) for $17.42, but I don't know how much it weighs.

What You need is a 20 inch steel gold pan, You blue it in a roaring Campfire.
You know the type of Fire, You can boil water in a Paper sack.
it's Dual purpose, as a Wok, by nite, Goldpan by day