PDA

View Full Version : DWR treat a hammock

jlb2012
11-07-2003, 14:20
Just a casual thought but I was wondering if the idea of treating a hammock with a durable water repellant (DWR) treatment is a good idea or a bad idea.

I have had a couple times where due to strong winds some water has been blown onto the sides of the hammock and on one occassion I was starting to lose some of the loft in the sleeping bag as a result of this water coming through the sides of the hammock. In thinking about this I was reminded of the use of DWR treatments for sleeping bags and I was wondering if the same stuff would work well for a hammock?

steven
11-07-2003, 15:50
sssssssssssssssssssssss

Mudchaos
11-07-2003, 22:32
Steven,
I think you should make it a bit clearer that you are in fact the US distibutor of the Siam Hammock. It is more then a bit misleading when you post statements such as "I recently bought a Siam Hammock www.siamhammockusa.com", considering that this is your own COMMERCIAL web site on which you SELL Siam Hammocks..

This is not a commercial forum.

Rich T

tribes
11-07-2003, 22:36
Booooooo!!!!!:(

MedicineMan
11-08-2003, 08:20
Steven you should feel ashamed....spamming us...that is no way to increase your sales and kudos to our brother for finding you out. I think I will buy another Hennessey just to show how much I hate spam.

Lumberjack
11-08-2003, 08:28
I kinda started to suspect when every reply by the newbie touted the siam...

Hog - I plan to DWR my underquilt once I make the final cut so to speak. Not the same as what you want. I dont know how effective it would be since your trying to waterproof a layer thats directly in contact with you and is under strain. It might not react normally. I havent had any problems so far with rain under the tarp yet but I do keep it closed up a lot more when Im expecting bad weather. Maybe trying a different tarp or tie out might help some?

Sorry I can be more helpfull about this.

Youngblood
11-08-2003, 20:04
Just a casual thought but I was wondering if the idea of treating a hammock with a durable water repellant (DWR) treatment is a good idea or a bad idea.

I have had a couple times where due to strong winds some water has been blown onto the sides of the hammock and on one occassion I was starting to lose some of the loft in the sleeping bag as a result of this water coming through the sides of the hammock. In thinking about this I was reminded of the use of DWR treatments for sleeping bags and I was wondering if the same stuff would work well for a hammock?

HOI, I think it is a good idea, especially in the winter.

Youngblood

steven
11-08-2003, 20:39
Apologies for the reckless display of self promotion, but I'm new to this game. Just wanted some folks to check it out. I'm a 9-5 worker/bar-man who spoted the siam Hammock (SH) while on my travels in Asia (the selling is as much a hobby as anything if it takes off?). Used the SH for the next number of months & thought it was a great product to bring to the US. I have sold maybe 5 SH in total, pretty much at "mates rate" & haven't a clue how to compete with the marketing potential of THe Hennesey Hammock & the likes.
In my defense I did buy one over in Asia (& new others would see from my email that I was selling them here).

Anyway, I'll leave it at that, Sorry,
Not to fond of spam either....

Lumberjack
11-09-2003, 04:19
Steven - just a suggestion - :sun
1. stay out of the hammock threads for a bit :o
2. be honest about who you are - try I sell siam hammocks and my product....

:welcome

DebW
11-09-2003, 18:50
I used a wash-in DWR product on some goretex pants, and found it left quite an odor in the clothing. I wouldn't want that odor in my hammock near my nose all night. After 2 months the smell has largely dissipated, but not completely.

jlb2012
11-10-2003, 08:15
Which product did you use DebW? I am thinking of using the BlueMagic Tectron wash-in stuff (aka the green bottle)

Pringles
11-10-2003, 12:42
I'm reading Ed Speer's Hammock Camping right now. He suggests that you apply DWR treatment to help "seal the bottom hammock fabric against the entry of cold air." (p. 68) He says it's one of the first things he does when it gets colder. Then, he suggests "try multiple washings with detergent and fabric softener" (p. 69) to get the DWR off, later.

Me, I'm not putting my hammock in the washer (front loader or otherwise). But I thought I'd share what he says.

Pringles

kank
11-23-2003, 17:00
I wouldn't worry about washing my hammock in a front-loading washing machine, but if you don't trust a washing machine, using the bathtub, detergent, and fabric softener should remove the coating (maybe not silicon, though). Come spring, you'll probably want the coating off to prevent condensation. I highly recommened washing your hammock materials regularly, since any accumulated dirt and oils will break them down faster than any laundry cleaning chemicals.

Along with DWR products, Speer suggests simple spray-on silicon waterproofing, which would be more vapor-proof, but also more difficult to remove than a DWR product.

So, DWR coatings are fine for hammocks. Even a DWR coating will reduce the breathability of the fabric, so when warm weather returns you may want to use detergent to wash out the DWR or perhaps it will have worn off by then, if you're using it enough :).