PDA

View Full Version : Kelty Frame Pack - New Harness?

wincheck
09-13-2007, 18:08
I've got an old Kelty frame pack from the late sixties/early seventies (I know, I know). I'm looking to trade up to the Vapor Trail or Nimbus Ozone, depending on how committed I am to becoming more lightweight.

However, until then - I'm looking to get a new harness system/belt. When I was on Franconia Ridge in New Hampshire in the summer of '06, I passed a gentleman from Tennessee hiking GAME with the same pack as mine. However, he had a brand new harness system he picked up that looked (and he testified) was far more comfortable.

Anyone know how to get this? Any stores carry this kind of thing or do I need to contact Kelty directly?

Also - I love the backpack so even if I "trade up" I'll probably still use it from time to time. I have no intention of buying a new external frame pack - they don't have the classic simplicity of the older models.

Toolshed
09-13-2007, 18:16
Check out this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26530&highlight=eureka). Give Eureka a call - The harness might be interchangeable

emerald
09-13-2007, 18:19
Years ago, I replaced almost every component of my Tioga suspension at one time or another. Many of the parts were stocked by outfitters in those days. I'd contact Kelty and find out what they can do to help you.

LostInSpace
09-13-2007, 19:37
About a year or so ago I replaced the shoulder straps and hipbelt on my old Tioga because they had hardened to the point that they were not usable. The Tioga has a lifetime warrenty. I contacted Kelty and sent the old parts that needed replacing to them as they requested. Kelty sent me new parts. The new shoulder straps and new hipbelt were from different models, but they work on the Tioga frame. Kelty also cut off and returned to me the original stainless cam-lock buckle. Those buckles work better than the new plastic ones.