PDA

View Full Version : Vermont in late Sept and early Oct

View
09-13-2007, 20:03
Hey Everyone,

Give me some ideas on gear for a late Sept early Oct hike in Vermont. What would you take for clothing? I am planning on a 20 degree bag.

Thanks!!

oruoja
09-13-2007, 20:07
Layered clothing and also rain gear to include shelter. Temperatures in this time frame can vary from 20s to 80 degrees.

pure_mahem
09-15-2007, 12:37
Also something brightly colored as this is hunting season in vermont! Bunch of morons in the woods with guns ya know!

DavidNH
09-15-2007, 14:58
How many days will you be out for? and more specifically where in Vermont will you be hiking? if you are doing a lowland hike, say near Little Rock Pond, the gear you need will be very different from over the peaks. If you are going over Mt Mansfield and Camels hump you need plenty of warm clothing. Also going early September or early October that makes a difference too.

A 20 degree bag would be the minimum you would want (ie a temp rating of at LEAST that low).

After Columbus Day weekend..and sometimes even before.. you could get winter conditions on highest mountains (Mansfield, Camels Hump, Killington, Jay peak)

David

Tin Man
09-15-2007, 15:06
Best time of year to go. Like others have said, layered clothing is best including rain gear/wind breaker. Bring something hot to eat at night and to drink in the morning. Enjoy!

View
09-16-2007, 21:34
Also something brightly colored as this is hunting season in vermont! Bunch of morons in the woods with guns ya know!

Now that is a pleasant thought.....

View
09-16-2007, 21:35
How many days will you be out for? and more specifically where in Vermont will you be hiking? if you are doing a lowland hike, say near Little Rock Pond, the gear you need will be very different from over the peaks. If you are going over Mt Mansfield and Camels hump you need plenty of warm clothing. Also going early September or early October that makes a difference too.

A 20 degree bag would be the minimum you would want (ie a temp rating of at LEAST that low).

After Columbus Day weekend..and sometimes even before.. you could get winter conditions on highest mountains (Mansfield, Camels Hump, Killington, Jay peak)

David

About 4 or 5

View
09-30-2007, 20:44
Best time of year to go. Like others have said, layered clothing is best including rain gear/wind breaker. Bring something hot to eat at night and to drink in the morning. Enjoy!

Looks like the 'good color' is coming fast. I think I am going this Th-F-S-S. Anyone have a favorite section they wish to share? I have the map and guidebook for the long trail.

Tin Man
09-30-2007, 20:59
Looks like the 'good color' is coming fast. I think I am going this Th-F-S-S. Anyone have a favorite section they wish to share? I have the map and guidebook for the long trail.

I am only familiar with the AT section. I like Glastenbury to Stratton Pond section. Glastenbury is 10 miles from civilization in all directions, has a fire tower, and sleeping under the pines is delightful. Stratton Mtn has a firetower and Stratton Pond (North Shore Tenting Area) is a sweet spot to camp. Further north, Griffith Lake and Little Rock Pond Tenting Areas are great spots as well.

Deadeye
10-09-2007, 23:03

Lincoln Gap northbound to Jonesville (the Monroe Skyline) would be a great 4-day hike for anyone in good shape. Gets you over three 4,000 foot peaks, two above timberline, and lots of over the rocks scrambling & hiking with frequent views. It won't be the easiest hike you'll take this year, but good stuff don't come easy. Plenty of side trails to exit if you can't make the distance in 4 days.

genetic claybuilding
10-11-2007, 09:24

I'm going October 26-November 4, from Hwy 9 to Hwy 4. Think a 20 degree bag will suffice? I have a 5 degree bag w/overfill, but that may be overkill. Or would it?

JoeHiker
10-11-2007, 11:13
Funny, I'm going to be covering much of the same section starting on Oct 19th but going from North to South. I'll be bringing my Hennessey Hammock with a very warm Old Rag Mtn underquilt and either a warm overquilt OR my 20° sleeping bag (WM Alpinist). But I sleep cold and would rather have too much than too little.

How are you getting there and back? I was thinking of parking my car in Bennington VT somewhere (find out from the locals who will let me) and then getting a cab ride north to where I need to go.

genetic claybuilding
10-11-2007, 13:22
How are you getting there and back? I was thinking of parking my car in Bennington VT somewhere (find out from the locals who will let me) and then getting a cab ride north to where I need to go.

I'm flying to Boston, then taking Amtrak to Brattleboro, VT. From there I have a shuttle to the trail lined up.

JoeHiker
10-16-2007, 12:16
Looks like I won't run into you. I'm doing Wallingford to Bennington (North to South) starting this Thursday to Sunday. Hope you have a good hike.

Incidentally I found a new shuttle service based in Bennington. The guy is driving me an hour north and watching my car. Don't think he's in any of the guide books. If it goes well I'll post his info here and try to let him know about the End to Ender's guide so he can get himself in there.