PDA

View Full Version : Water question for TN/NC section hike

twilight
09-14-2007, 05:52
Planning a hike for the end of the month between Dennis Cove rd to Spivey Gap. Was wondering if anyone has been in that area and can give a water report?

Thanks,
Twilight:sun

Deerleg
09-14-2007, 07:37
Tropical Storm Humberto looks like it might be dumping a little water in the area that could help.
I will be walking a little further south from Unicoi Gap to Fontana in mid October and am a little concerned about the regional drought and what water will be like down there too.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-14-2007, 09:23
The forecast is for rain all day in the region thanks to Humberto. We got rain pretty much all day earlier in the week. This should help the water situation up in the Smokies and northward some.

Midway Sam
09-14-2007, 09:36
The forecast is for rain all day in the region thanks to Humberto. We got rain pretty much all day earlier in the week. This should help the water situation up in the Smokies and northward some.

Humberto is my hero.

:sun (I wish there were a raincloud emoticon)

nicorock2003
09-14-2007, 09:45
labor Day weekend hiked from Devils Fork Gap to Spivey Gap.
Plenty of water from Devils Fork to Hogback Shelter. Nice walk to water at Hogs Back shelter. Sams Gap to Bald had a little problem finding water but came across a very nice pool so we cameled uped, made for a nice break and lunch. Just follow your AT manua and map. Plenty of water at Bald Mt shelter and a few places to Spivey's Gap. At Spivey's Gap, maybe 50 yards from the highway a realy nice creek with a nice flow of water. You should not have any problems with water. A really steep climb from Devils Fork to Bald.
Blisters and Determined

Tennessee Viking
09-15-2007, 00:53
It just rained, and temps seem to be dropping a little.

Lately, Roan was having some problems. You can cheat by going to the restrooms at the gardens. Roan High Knob down to Bradley Gapwater flow was getting down to drips.

Osborne Branch near the Nolichucky is always flowing. Oglesby Branch on Flattop is usually a good source. You might want to pack an extra liter for No Business, Unaka Mtn, and the trek over the Humps & Roan..

I was just at Iron Mtn Gap, water at the orchard near Weedy Gap was flowing but not as much I have seen it. There is a small unofficial spring just north of the Weedy Gap.