PDA

View Full Version : Rain (a bad night in my TarpTent)

flyingduckmonster
09-14-2007, 10:36
So, I got chased off the trail by all-wet gear after those torrential downpours that happened earlier this week--or, more specifically, by the rain not ceasing the next day. (I was going to stay out all week; it ended up being more of a weekend-length hike.) My TarpTent Rainbow was clearly set up wrong, despite my following the directions: rain blew in through the no-see-um along the bottom edge of the tent, and I couldn't figure out how to make it stop. My sleeping mat was like a small boat in a big pool of water; all my gear got soaked. If anyone has any insight, other than "clip the bathtub sides up," which I did, I'm interested.

But, just in general, assuming I had a functioning tent, I would still have ended up having some trouble with the rain. I didn't want to put my pack down and dig out my ibuprophen when I had muscle pain; I didn't have enough stuff sacks to separate my "almost dry" stuff from my sopping wet stuff; I didn't have backup shoes (by choice). What do you guys do when it's raining for multiple days? Are there any clever tricks or tips you can give me, as far as packing for that sort of thing?

RiverWarriorPJ
09-14-2007, 10:42
Delete the "DUCK" from your trail name....

hopefulhiker
09-14-2007, 10:48
The same thing happened to me when I first started out my thru hike in my tarptent.. Campsite choice is key.. You want to get on high enough ground to let the water drain away...

Johnny Thunder
09-14-2007, 10:56
Aside from clipping the floor "up" here's a few:

I've found that with shelters as you go lighter you start to have to use the natural surroundings to your advantage in best utilizing the gear. What i mean is, do to the Rainbow's vent design you really shouldn't put it up in an open field if it's threatening a windy rainstorm. Use natural winbreaks like bushes, trees, and rocks to the windward side for this reason. Also, try to set up the ten so that the vestibule face directly into or away from the wind. Those two sides of the tarp tent shoudl offer extra cover. Iif it get's real bad and you've set it up so the side opposite the vesty is into the wind you can shorten the guy lines a bit (by tying knots in it ) so that it sits flush to the ground.

Also, be sure you're not tenting in an area that has poor drainage.

Finaly, when staking out the corners be sure not to stretch the lower (black) bungee loops out all the way. They should be taught as not to leave the floor flapping around but you don't need to yank them all the way out. This will allow you the ability to pull the tighteners on the "fly" down to almost ground level.

Again, you have to work the the surroundings on this specific tarptent. The lighter you go the more you're just going to have to accept that. If you want a piece of gear you can just plop down anywhere you please, this 'aint it.

Anywhoo...those are just one man's observations...having not seen where and how you set up the tent I can't be sure.

Johnny

JAK
09-14-2007, 11:33
I think defense in depth is in order, in other words, a clothing system that still works for you even after it is totally soaked. For me a combination of wool and synthetics is better than just one or the other. Perhaps in extreme alpine conditions getting totally soaked is not an option and you should work on preventing it rather than on dealing with it, but in boreal forest, like Maine, even in winter, I think you should be prepared to be totally soaked, and have ways and means of drying out also.

JAK
09-14-2007, 11:35
Delete the "DUCK" from your trail name....Very good. That was my original gut response. I hope I toned it down a little. :D

Appalachian Tater
09-14-2007, 18:13
All of my gear except for my sleeping pad is in OR Hydrolite stuffsacks and my backpack is lined with a contractor garbage bag. My Rainbow goes on the outside of my pack so it can be set up without opening my backpack when it's raining. Also, rainy nights are good times to sleep in shelters if you are ever going to sleep in a shelter. Even a TarpTent is heavier when wet!

Colter
09-15-2007, 09:53
You've already gotten some good advice. If you don't carry a four-season tent, picking your campsites is crucial.

Imagine what a campsite would look like if it rained couple of inches that night. If water would pool at the spot, find another one.

Pick spots sheltered from wind. Very important! If some wind is unavoidable orient the shelter as Johnny Thunder suggests. By following these two practices I spent a summer in Alaska in my Tarptent and slept dry every night.

If possible wring out your wet clothes. Hang small wet items on your pack if it's "drying weather." If not, store in a separate waterproof bag/garbage sack/outside pocket.

In cold weather or chilly, damp weather I always try to save one dry layer to sleep in. Usually that's one dry pair of dry socks and set of polypro long underwear and a balaclava. If I can sleep dry and comfortable, I can put up with a lot during the day.

If you have wet clothes in the morning and it's a wet day when you'll end up hiking wet either way, start out wearing your wet stuff. Hike fast until you warm up. It's a bit uncomfortable putting on wet stuff at first, but that's where the attitude comes in. "No Rain, No Pain, No Maine." Wearing a set of raingear on the outside until you're warm helps.

Putting up with the wind and rain makes the sunshine and warmth all that much sweeter, and helps a person enjoy the simple pleasures we all normally take for granted.

Tipi Walter
09-15-2007, 11:52
If you want freedom, stick with a four season tent. You should be able to set up ANYWHERE and no rain squall should curtail your trip. Tarps and tarp-type tents will not work and will not give you the freedom to set up on an open bald in a raging wind and rain storm. Or a mean blizzard. 60 mph winds with rain will test even a good four season tent, jerking it all over the place, but a tarp? I spent a winter in a tarp and woke up most mornings covered in windblown snow.

Finding a camping site that does not pool with water in a heavy rain is tricky but isn't really all that hard. Oft times a bare level spot will pool quickly whereas a tilted spot nearby will not. Setting up on dead leaves usually indicates a lightly used area and also can be good. If the worst happens and you're set up in 2 inches of pooling water, be thankful you have a seam sealed tub floor and a tent footprint INSIDE the tent to make a barrier between the sleeping pad and the wet floor. It helps to stay dry.

hopefulhiker
09-15-2007, 12:42
Another little trick for dealing with wet clothes was taught to me on the trail.. you can put your damp socks in the bottom of your sleeping bag and even wear damp light weight clothes to bed! I know it sounds crazy and it is cold at first but many times I would wake up doing that and my stuff was dry! Don't do this in extreme cold or with really wet stuff..

WalkingStick75
09-15-2007, 19:48
Hopefulhiker,
I know this is off track but remember that moisture has to go someplace and if you are sleeping with wet clothes that moisture will go into the fibers of your sleeping bag. I hate putting wet clothes on in the morning but better to keep your bag dry and warm. Personally I have trail (sometimes wet) clothers and camp clothes that I always keep dry.

hopefulhiker
09-15-2007, 20:16
Yes, WalkingStick... I always keep a set of clothes dry for camp wear only... but it is nice not to put on wet clothes the next day.. I know it sounds crazy but I did dry damp clothes at the bottom of the bag if it was not too cold. I did use a silk liner too. I would air out the bag as well..

Quoddy
09-15-2007, 20:29
I set up my Rainbow 8 days ago to test the normal elevated set up since I knew that there were some heavy rainand storms enroute. I chose a wide open spot, with no protection from any trees. It rained, heavily on 5 of those 8 days and on 3 of those days there were strong winds (over 25 mph). I had the normal setup with the TT at normal height and the floor clipped up and never had a drop of water inside.

Hard to say exactly why you would get the amount of rain inside that you did unless something just wasn't right. I've had results almost that good with my Contrail, only getting a very light rain driven spray, more of a mist, on a couple of occasions.

Jim Adams
09-16-2007, 01:54
just another reason to go with a Hubba!

geek

JAK
09-16-2007, 16:59
Many of us actually enjoy hiking while completely soaking wet.
Perhaps it is something you need to do when you are young, to fall in love with.

Note to parents with kids
- send them out in rain early, and send them out in the rain often.

whitefoot_hp
09-19-2007, 09:30
just another reason to go with a Hubba!

geek

or a hammock...

The Solemates
09-19-2007, 11:11
Aside from clipping the floor "up" here's a few:

I've found that with shelters as you go lighter you start to have to use the natural surroundings to your advantage in best utilizing the gear. What i mean is, do to the Rainbow's vent design you really shouldn't put it up in an open field if it's threatening a windy rainstorm. Use natural winbreaks like bushes, trees, and rocks to the windward side for this reason. Also, try to set up the ten so that the vestibule face directly into or away from the wind. Those two sides of the tarp tent shoudl offer extra cover. Iif it get's real bad and you've set it up so the side opposite the vesty is into the wind you can shorten the guy lines a bit (by tying knots in it ) so that it sits flush to the ground.

Also, be sure you're not tenting in an area that has poor drainage.

Finaly, when staking out the corners be sure not to stretch the lower (black) bungee loops out all the way. They should be taught as not to leave the floor flapping around but you don't need to yank them all the way out. This will allow you the ability to pull the tighteners on the "fly" down to almost ground level.

Again, you have to work the the surroundings on this specific tarptent. The lighter you go the more you're just going to have to accept that. If you want a piece of gear you can just plop down anywhere you please, this 'aint it.

Anywhoo...those are just one man's observations...having not seen where and how you set up the tent I can't be sure.

Johnny

exellent advice. these comments should be heeded no matter what type of tent you have, a lightweight tarp or a expedition tent.

Nearly Normal
09-20-2007, 01:46
Where were you camped?
"Torrential downpours" are needed on the Southern end of the AT.

Nearly Normal