PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow users -- I need help

mellow mountain
09-14-2007, 20:46
I'm hoping that some of you can help me.

I'm relatively new to backpacking. I have a Rainbow, have only used it a few times but like it a lot. I'm trying to get my gear together for a major section hike in 2008. I have a Gregory "G" pack which I'm trying to use to keep my weight down -- I just can't figure out how to pack this tent efficiently. I've tried to pack it on top of my sleeping bag but the top cross bar, which seems to be not removable is really wider than the pack and I'm afraid of tearing the fabric. Packing the tent in its bag with the poles vertically might work but really doesn't seem comfortable.

Maybe I need a new backpack? Not sure, but would like to hear from others about how they pack this tent, and what types of packs they use.

Thanks.

Mellow

Appalachian Tater
09-14-2007, 21:59
I keep it on the outside of my pack vertically. Unless the design has changed, the cross bar is easily removable if you want to go that route instead.

bigcranky
09-15-2007, 07:10
You might consider carrying the Rainbow vertically in one of the side pockets of your G-pack, if it'll fit. I usually end up carrying my tarp in a side pocket because I don't like putting a wet shelter inside my pack. (Yes, even with a pack liner, things can still get pretty wet.)

I also was of the understanding that the cross-bar was removable. You might drop Henry a note at Tarptent, and ask.

The Will
09-15-2007, 16:10
I pack the tent vertically without use of the stuff sack. This make the tent somewhat more "fluid" as opposed to being a discreet bundle (within the stuff sack) and allows it to act as a filler within the pack.

The pack I have used with this shelter is the Deuter ACT Lite 40+10. Capacity is roughly 2700 cu. in.

orangebug
09-16-2007, 07:26
I strap mine to my pack to double as pack cover and a means of keeping it dryer. The cross bar isn't removable on mine. It is a convenient way to roll the tent up and keep track of where the middle is. I have an old Kelty Flight.

Stonewall
09-17-2007, 18:29
What I have found is the easiest for me so far is by sticking the pole and and stakes in the center with the cross bar. then roll the tent around the bar that way everything together and I have also found in doing it this way that. even if you have a little condensation when you roll your tent the floor is being roled up last and the tent floor never gets wet (well that is if you have the floor) hope it helps

PKH
09-18-2007, 08:56
I have a Starlite pack and I stow my Rainbow in the long side pocket. Works like a charm.

Cheers,

PKH

Jim Adams
09-18-2007, 10:17
If nothing else, put it on the top of the bag and fasten the top pouch down over it. I have 2 G packs and love them.

geek

River Runner
09-26-2007, 23:44
The cross piece should be removable (at least it is in the Double Rainbow). The first few times I removed mine was very difficult to accomplish. I pushed it out just a little at a time, but after a few times it removes easily now. If I choose to leave it in, I usually stow the Double Rainbow in a side pocket.

rafe
09-27-2007, 00:19
Vertically, outside the pack. Works great on a Granite Gear Vapor Trail or Nimbus Ozone. The crossbar is removable but there's no need...