PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore/DC area hikers..

ScottP
09-14-2007, 21:46
I've noticed that there are a lot of hikers from the Baltimore/DC area. It'd be nice to set up some sort of Balto/DC mailing list.

I'm thinking of doing a couple of short (2-4 day) hikes within the next couple of months while the weather should be perfect, and transportation to the trial is easy, as always. Company would be nice.

Anyways, if you're interested just PM me, E-mail me, or post here.

Cookerhiker
09-14-2007, 22:01
Scott, are you a member of the PATC (http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php)? Their web site has become quite good and includes a forums section so you may be able to find fellow hikers there also.

aaroniguana
09-14-2007, 22:16
Hi All! I'm in Glen Burnie, and I am ALWAYS up for a section on the AT or even a Sunday at Patapsco, the loop at Sugarloaf or a day on the C&O. Count me in!

ScottP
09-15-2007, 11:03
I knew I'd get a response suggesting that I get involved witht he local trail maintenance club, but I've found that hikers and trail maintainers are generaly different crowds.

Skyline
09-15-2007, 11:39
I knew I'd get a response suggesting that I get involved witht he local trail maintenance club, but I've found that hikers and trail maintainers are generaly different crowds.

PATC does a lot of maintaining, but they also have various hiking "sections" where you could find out about exactly what you've posted here that you want. Check them out at www.patc.net (http://www.patc.net), where you can see the PATC newsletter and a lot, lot more.

You are somewhat correct that maintainers and hikers sometimes are part of their own separate niches. But it is also true that many hikers "give back" to the trails they hike on in a number of ways, including as a volunteer to maintain and improve trails and their related attributes like shelters and trailheads. We could always use more help, and PATC would be the best place in the DC region to get involved if you felt you could reallocate some time.

naturejunkie
09-17-2007, 12:21
I'll be back in Baltimore starting at the end of this week. I'd definitely be game.

Moon Monster
09-17-2007, 14:06
Perhaps, a thread like this could be continually updated with local folks' plans and invitations. Also, there are lots of local hiking oriented clubs besides the PATC. (Once you find a website of one of them, use their links section to find the others--that can be more efficient than searching Google.)

My own interests have drifted further afield from MD and VA. While living in Baltimore, I've done most of my hiking up in Pennsylvania well West of the AT. I reccomend everyone here consider that--some nice trails are just 3 hours away--same as driving to Shenandoah from Baltimore. Lately, I've been planning to start going up to the Catskills, which are as close as Mt. Rogers.

wrongway_08
09-17-2007, 21:47
Let me know, if I dont work I'm in!

Critterman
09-22-2007, 09:10
I have time on my hands and am ready to hike. Interested in local or something further away also.

Newb
09-28-2007, 13:01
Count me in. I live in Alexandria and I'll hike any time.