PDA

View Full Version : Lost on the AT

modiyooch
09-15-2007, 08:39
Ok, with all the discussion about whether or not to have white blazes and/or signs; have you ever been lost on the AT? I have been lost twice, and learned some valuable lessons. Once I got lost/disoriented between my bear bag and my tent. (1980) It got dark and cold fast. I now carry a jacket and flashlight when hanging my food. Another crucial time, I followed boundary markers instead of blazes. Both of these times where during my first couple of weeks ever hiking the AT.

CherrypieScout
09-15-2007, 08:44
I have been misplaced a few times. It is easy to get off trail at unmarked intersections where there isn't a white blaze for 5 minutes down the trail. I usually pull out the compass and try to figure out which way is the correct pathway. This would be where the intersection trail is just as heavily traveled as the AT. I think it is worse in balds where the AT has been nicely mowed, but the tractor goes off in other directions too. I did follow a mowed pathway for a few minutes once, then turned back and went the other choice for about 5 minutes before I found a blaze. I am very grateful for the mowed AT though.

modiyooch
09-15-2007, 08:48
I have often been misplaced. It's easy to take the most logical path instead of the AT. For Example: Coming off Hawk Rock into Duncannon. I mistakenly took the path to the parking lot. When I went back to take the AT, I was blown away in regards to how difficult they made it for that last .25 miles. The only consolation was the trail magic on the AT.

Lone Wolf
09-15-2007, 08:53
Ok, with all the discussion about whether or not to have white blazes and/or signs; have you ever been lost on the AT? I have been lost twice, and learned some valuable lessons. Once I got lost/disoriented between my bear bag and my tent. (1980) It got dark and cold fast. I now carry a jacket and flashlight when hanging my food. Another crucial time, I followed boundary markers instead of blazes. Both of these times where during my first couple of weeks ever hiking the AT.

good reason to sleep with your food

shelterbuilder
09-15-2007, 08:54
I have often been misplaced. It's easy to take the most logical path instead of the AT. For Example: Coming off Hawk Rock into Duncannon. I mistakenly took the path to the parking lot. When I went back to take the AT, I was blown away in regards to how difficult they made it for that last .25 miles. The only consolation was the trail magic on the AT.

You need to be especially careful in Pa. The Game Commission blazes its boundary trails for State Game Lands with WHITE blazes. They are irregular in shape, and face the centerline of the boundary trail instead of the direction of travel, but in some places where the AT and the boundary trails intersect at less than 90*, it can be really confusing. The area north of Pa. Rt. 309 is one of those places.

DavidNH
09-15-2007, 09:00
Actually, I myself got lost, temporarily, on the AT. I was coming down from Mt Greylock and got to an outlook on Mt Williams. There was a point where you take the upper or lower path (going at same direction at that point). I took wrong path went for maybe a 1/4 mile at most and found a sign pointing one way to Mt Greylock and otherway to Mt. Williams. I realized my mistake and turned around.

It is not always obvious which way is north or south!

DavidNH

hopefulhiker
09-15-2007, 09:29
I got off the trail several times on my thru in 05. But after hiking a while without seeing any whiteblazes. I just turned around and retraced my steps until I knew I was back on the trail...

chiefdaddy
09-15-2007, 09:31
Night hiking I have lost the trail a few times then back tracked, of course it was winter time on the AT snow and all. I always turn around until I find a white blaze then figure out what went wrong. I seem to do a lot of night hiking.

modiyooch
09-15-2007, 09:33
When I followed the boundary blazes in the Shenadoahs and got lost in the punch bowl area, I had to climb to the sound of the cars on the skyline drive. Reached the road in the dark. The lesson learned on this lost was always carry your own gear.

Kerosene
09-15-2007, 10:57
I've certainly taken the wrong path when the blazing was unclear, and many times I've wondered whether I'm actually on the AT after not seeing any blazes for half a mile, but I've never gotten downright lost.

Last September I started out from Glencliff in mid-afternoon to cover the 8 miles over Moosilaukee to the Beaver Brook Shelter. A lightning storm passed over during the ascent and I had to wait for it to pass before I crossed the fogged in summit. From reading the guidebook earlier, I knew the AT turned left at the summit sign, but the obvious path veered left and down. After a few steps something just didn't feel right, so I huddled down behind a rockface out of the wind and pulled out my guidebook in the failing light and blowing rain. I didn't want to get lost this late, in this weather, and I knew that no one else would pass by that day. Sure enough, the AT makes a sharp left around the old summit house and follows cairns back to the treeline. I've found my maps and guidebooks (greatly reduced to 2-sided paper to save weight) to be useful in a variety of unforeseen situations.

I've heard of a number of hikers who have gotten turned around, heading back the way the came after getting off the trail for some reason (usually to sleep at a shelter). My sense of direction is pretty good, so that's never happened to me.

All things considered, the AT is pretty darn safe for an outdoor experience, especially if you don't go wandering well off trail where no one would expect to find you.

Tipi Walter
09-15-2007, 11:30
Getting lost on the Interstate Hiway that is the Appalachian Trail is danged hard, now getting misdirected between your tent and food bag is another matter. One time at midnight I left my tent for a late night cathole/turtlehead rodeo and I had a hard time finding the way back. Always carry a light, of course.

Now, night hiking is a different can of worms. For most of the AT is isn't much of a problem, but when the trail crosses hiways and parking lots it can get strange. When I read about thruhikers back in the 1950s and 60s all they ever talked about was getting lost. The trail has improved tremendously.

oops56
09-15-2007, 11:40
You are never lost just disorientated. Also at night in your house when lights go out try and find your way now that also is lost.:D

The Weasel
09-15-2007, 11:46
In 2000, i had the Maptech mapping program and printed out pages for each section that showed topos at 1"=2000' and carried each page in my pocket (each page was about 4-5 miles) rather than the ATC maps. This gave me real navigational ability with my maps, even if I didn't have a compass, since I could use the contour lines to get an idea where I was.

I kept each day's page in my pocket until I went to sleep. If I was away from the trail and disoriented, the map could orient me by looking at it and knowing which way was downhill and more.

This would be a good tie with the WhiteBlaze pages, and perhaps the book and the new map program could be integrated with each other or even marketed together.

The Weasel

Sly
09-15-2007, 11:55
Y'all need maps, if not a GPS!

Tipi Walter
09-15-2007, 12:00
Better than any map is the discerning eye. Anyone who spends a lot of time hiking trails develops this discerning eye, it finds everything at a glance, a game trail versus a foot trail, the subtle entrance into brush, etc. When two trails diverge a map comes in handy, but even then a good eye can tell the main trail from the lesser used side trail.

Sly
09-15-2007, 12:02
Better than any map is the discerning eye. Anyone who spends a lot of time hiking trails develops this discerning eye, it finds everything at a glance, a game trail versus a foot trail, the subtle entrance into brush, etc. When two trails diverge a map comes in handy, but even then a good eye can tell the main trail from the lesser used side trail.

I completely agree. Hiking the trails such as the CDT with little, and sometimes no marking, with does wonders to train one in this regard

The Weasel
09-15-2007, 12:09
That can be very risky when doing what was mentioned here, i.e. going off trail far enough to hang a bear bag. 'Details' particularly at dusk can be impossible to make out.

The Weasel

warraghiyagey
09-15-2007, 12:10
good reason to sleep with your food

Is that legal?

Sly
09-15-2007, 12:13
Is that legal?

Yeah, pretty much on the AT. There are bear poles, cables and boxes in certain areas, but I don't think it's mandatory to use them.

warraghiyagey
09-15-2007, 12:21
Yeah, pretty much on the AT. There are bear poles, cables and boxes in certain areas, but I don't think it's mandatory to use them.

I think you missed my joke.:)

Jack Tarlin
09-15-2007, 12:25
Sly raised an excellent point. Of all the people who wrote above with tales of mis-adventure and getting lost......I wonder how many of them had good maps with them.

It's been said before and bears repeating: Unless you are travelling on a piece of land you know intimately, bring a map and know how to use it.

Is it still possible to get lost even when you're carrying a map?

Well, sure it is. But it won't happen so often.

And you'll have a much better chance of getting UN-LOST if you've got one.

camojack
09-15-2007, 12:31
Who said: "I've never been lost, just a mite bewildered for a few days."

Was it Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett? :confused:

Jack Tarlin
09-15-2007, 12:42
It's generally attributed to Boone and in most versions, he says "confused" instead of "bewildered".

GoldenBear
09-15-2007, 14:04
You need to be especially careful in Pa. The Game Commission blazes its boundary trails for State Game Lands with WHITE blazes. ... in some places where the AT and the boundary trails intersect at less than 90*, it can be really confusing.

Somehow I got completely off the AT in the area of Eckville PA while doing a solo day hike, following white blazes that were either (1) State Game Lands boundary markers or (2) old AT markers. Ended up at what looked like an shelter, that was advanced disrepair. Backtracked out, then re-found the AT. Spent several hours and walked only about three miles on the actual AT.

Also, a map I created with Delorme{R} of the area between PA Hiway 183 and Eagle's Nest Shelter showed the AT continuing on a dirt road when, in fact, the AT left the road almost immediately. Kept walking on the dirt road, looking for white blazes. If I had used the online PA SGL maps instead, I would have had no problem, but I (foolishly) trusted my Delorme map program for accurate results. I now use PA SGL maps whenever possible.

fehchet
09-15-2007, 15:10
Sometimes I have come to a road crossing and am not totally sure which way to turn because the trail is not directly across the road. So I just wander for a bit. And sometimes I venture off to take a crap in the bush and then have trouble returning to the trail. It is only because I can't see too good. But I was brought up in the northern woods of Quebec so I don't ever think I'm lost or then panic -- what I am is disorientated and, that's all. When I was 16 I brought 2 panicked concealers and 6 fellow campers to safety after all thought we were lost. We had been above Flagstaff Lake on the other side of Spring Lake doing some bushwhacking to an old fire tower. Fun stuff. I always say to just stop for a while and figure where you are in relation to your surroundings. Then circle out. You may not find exactly where you left off but you'll be all right.

modiyooch
09-15-2007, 17:12
Sly raised an excellent point. Of all the people who wrote above with tales of mis-adventure and getting lost......I wonder how many of them had good maps with them.

It's been said before and bears repeating: Unless you are travelling on a piece of land you know intimately, bring a map and know how to use it.

Is it still possible to get lost even when you're carrying a map?

Well, sure it is. But it won't happen so often.

And you'll have a much better chance of getting UN-LOST if you've got one.With the exception of the Whites, I do not carry a trail map, or compass on the AT. The trail goes south to north and has the white blazes to follow. When in doubt, judge the direction by the sun. I do carry the summarized data pages for roads, shelters, & landmarks. I also carry a copy of an atlas road map of the area in case I have to an alternate way out. Map or no map, the easiest way to get misdirected is by not paying attention. My misadventures happened early in the game.

Tennessee Viking
09-15-2007, 17:14
In my section, I never been lost. Only got turned around on the MST in the Wilson Creek area. Some of their dots can wash off too easy, or look like natural markings. Plus that area is trail heaven. You have 3 trails start at the same trailhead, but wont indicate which one is which.

And usually its the Pisgah/Cherokee trails you got to look out for. Last time I heard they do a maintenance cycle of 3 yrs for most of their more popular trails. And about 5 for the rest.

Kerosene
09-15-2007, 17:26
With the exception of the Whites, I do not carry a trail map, or compass on the AT. The trail goes south to north and has the white blazes to follow. When in doubt, judge the direction by the sun. I do carry the summarized data pages for roads, shelters, & landmarks. I also carry a copy of an atlas road map of the area in case I have to an alternate way out. Map or no map, the easiest way to get misdirected is by not paying attention. My misadventures happened early in the game.Of course, you know that frequently the AT isn't heading true north...

Gaiter
09-15-2007, 17:45
somewhere btn allen gap and erwin tn, i was hiking last spring break, the trail turns to follow a woods road, and yes its double blazed right before the turn, but if your head is down and just following the trail, you look across the road and see where there is a trail continuing into an open patch and when you get to where it meets the woods again, but the trail ends, its well worn in so i felt better in knowing that i wasn't the only one making the mistake, when i got back to the road i looked down it and sure enough there's the blaze

Shutterbug
09-15-2007, 18:28

I would never admit to being "lost" but last year I got to see some wilderness that most people hiking the AT never get to see. I was hiking south bound in the 100 Mile Wilderness when I came to some downed trees that had fallen across the trail. As I was picking a route around the fallen trees, I noticed some orange ribbons tied to the trees. The orange ribbons continued south, so I assumed that they were marking the detour around the downed trees. What I failed to notice was that the AT took a sharp turn to the right under the trees.

After following the ribbons for a few hundred yards, I realized I wasn't on the AT, but by then I was curious enough that I wanted to see where the ribbons led. My best guess is that the ribbons were marking the boundry of a hunting lease, but I still don't know for sure.

Anyway while I was off the AT, I got to see a bear hunting stand. I had heard about them, but had never seen one. The hunters had a 5 gallon bucket hanging from a rope about five feet off the ground. I couldn't see inside the bucket, but assume that it was filled with donuts. I assume that it was placed so that only full-sized bears could reach it. I am aware that hunters get angry if someone allows their scent to spoil a bear stand, so I stayed well away from the clearing. Not too far from the stand, I startled a bear eating berries.

Another thing I saw while I was off the AT was a monument to a hiker who died while hiking the AT. It happened several years ago. It is illegal to place memorials inside the AT corridor, so the memorial is in the woods about a half mile from the AT.

Anyway, my response to your question is "yes", I have become lost while hiking the AT.

shelterbuilder
09-15-2007, 19:44
Somehow I got completely off the AT in the area of Eckville PA while doing a solo day hike, following white blazes that were either (1) State Game Lands boundary markers or (2) old AT markers. Ended up at what looked like an shelter, that was advanced disrepair. Backtracked out, then re-found the AT. Spent several hours and walked only about three miles on the actual AT.

Also, a map I created with Delorme{R} of the area between PA Hiway 183 and Eagle's Nest Shelter showed the AT continuing on a dirt road when, in fact, the AT left the road almost immediately. Kept walking on the dirt road, looking for white blazes. If I had used the online PA SGL maps instead, I would have had no problem, but I (foolishly) trusted my Delorme map program for accurate results. I now use PA SGL maps whenever possible.

In the Eckville area, it could have been either one or the other. Lots of State Game Lands up there, as well as a nearly 20 year old relo. At Rt. 183, the AT was relocated off of the Game Commission road over 20 years ago - it used to follow the dirt road for about 7 miles, but now it mostly parallels it (first on the south edge of the ridge, then crossing over to the north edge).

Tin Man
09-15-2007, 19:49
Of course, you know that frequently the AT isn't heading true north...

Exactly. Some times you have to go east to go north, or west to go north, or even south to go north.

Rather than using maps for direction, I find them are more useful for showing elevation changes and distances than anything else so I can calculate how far to the top or a road or whatever. It is also a good excuse for a break when I yell at my brother: "Map Check!"

Toolshed
09-15-2007, 20:35
In the Eckville area, it could have been either one or the other. Lots of State Game Lands up there, as well as a nearly 20 year old relo. At Rt. 183, the AT was relocated off of the Game Commission road over 20 years ago - it used to follow the dirt road for about 7 miles, but now it mostly parallels it (first on the south edge of the ridge, then crossing over to the north edge).

I got twisted around between Rte 501 and Hertlein one summer night about 4 years ago....
Here were my mistakes:
1. My wife was back home in western NY visiting Friends and I didn't tell her where I was going.
2. I didn't have a cell phone then (not really a mistake)
3. I go down with chorse on a saturday afternoon and figured 12 miles R/T, I can start out by 3:45Pm and be back by 8PM with just a small daypack and 2 litres of water.
4. I decided to take a shortcut back, based on what the map showed, but not really knowing the area that well.
5. I was racing sunset.
6. I went past my turnaround time.

So I get to Hertlein campsite at about 6:10 and I had a hard turnaround of 6PM. I immediately leave the Hertlein site and decide to take what appears as the "red" trail on my mapset. It seems to circumvent Roundhead and save me a mile or so.
As I follow the old washed out road west, rather than the taking AT, which heads SW, it eventually turns into an old herd path and after 25 minutes, it turns and heads north. I check and recheck. I walk another 10 minutes and am now heading true north. The map doesn't show this at all and it is getting late. Hmmmm..... Do I go all the way back to Hertlein and hike out at night or go back to the point where it started heading north and try to head south and intercept the AT.

I decide the latter and start taking bearings, marking a point (tree) and walking to it and then taking another bearing.
I then decide after 5-6 repetitions that this is too time-consuming and decide to just walk south. After a few minutes I am now scrambling through the brush, trying to find a trail intercept and no longer really paying attenion to what I am doing. After about 5 minutes I stop and realized this is ridiculous and that I ought not get wound up trying to get out during the night. After all, it is a warm night. The dogs won't starve tonight (maybe pee on a rug, though) and I have my emergency blanket as well as matches, some hard candy and plenty of water. I decide to find a rock and build a small fire and spend the night curled up on my backpad and sitpad.
Within a few minutes of looking, I find a beautiful big rock and decide it will do to reflect some heat. I then turn to hang my backpack on a branch and right there in front of me is an old faint white AT blaze - I see another and then another - all in a perfect straight line. I take a bearing and they are heading west.
I decide to follow them in the fading light and voile!!! within about 25 minutes I am at the junction of the AT and the Old AT (A spot I remember passing on my way in). From here it is a scant 2.5 miles back to the trailhead along the AT. I am back a few minutes after dark.
This is a perfect example of PPPP and compiling errors. Fortunate, it worked out well and my dogs didn't pee on a rug. :)

modiyooch
09-15-2007, 21:06
You need to be especially careful in Pa. The Game Commission blazes its boundary trails for State Game Lands with WHITE blazes. They are irregular in shape, and face the centerline of the boundary trail instead of the direction of travel, but in some places where the AT and the boundary trails intersect at less than 90*, it can be really confusing. The area north of Pa. Rt. 309 is one of those places.Thanks SB, this is actually my next hike.

Gaiter
09-15-2007, 23:18
I noticed some orange ribbons tied to the trees.

random tid bit: after getting a hitch w/ gypsy moth trap checkers, i found out the orange ribbons i va, lead to gyspy moth traps, rode around w/ them for a couple hrs checking traps before i got into town, they spend all summer placing, checking and then removing traps. they said the areas that were sprayed had a major reductions in numbers.

yeah for learning something new everyday, kill me when i don't learn anything new in any 24 hr period of time.

freefall
09-15-2007, 23:44
I actually only got "lost" once. North Of McAfees Knob hiking at night. Lost the trail for about 30 minutes until I found it again. But it's all good- found an awsome campsote near Tinker Cliffs able to watch the sun come into the valley.
Got turned araound a couple of times- headed in the wrong direction on the Trail but found my way in a couple of miles both times.

Jim Adams
09-16-2007, 01:32
Come on guys! LOST?
Bill Irwin made it the whole way!

geek
ps. if you are lost on the AT, go uphill...it's got to be the right direction.

Tennessee Viking
09-16-2007, 02:06
There are some northern sections of AT where blazes only appear every mile.

Generally my general thought of unblazed trails is follow the well travelled trail, and if all else fails, head down hill to civilization. Around my parts, its hard to get lost if you know what your doing. You can usually find a forest road or old timber trail.

Lone Wolf
09-16-2007, 06:38
There are some northern sections of AT where blazes only appear every mile.

Now that is BS

mrc237
09-16-2007, 07:38
Only "stoopit" people get lost on the AT. Most of us may walk off-trail a bit but soon find their way!

modiyooch
09-16-2007, 08:40
Come on guys! LOST?
Bill Irwin made it the whole way!

geek
ps. if you are lost on the AT, go uphill...it's got to be the right direction.
and he did get lost...

shelterbuilder
09-16-2007, 11:30
I got twisted around between Rte 501 and Hertlein one summer night about 4 years ago....:)

Yeah, there was a relo done in that area some years back to avoid a washed-out gully. Common practice is to block the old trail with brush and paint out only a few blazes at the beginning and end of the old section. (There's one on the section that I maintain south of William Penn shelter - an old logging road that's washed out was closed in favor of a newer section of trail closer to the ridgetop.) BMECC was doing a lot of relocating during the last 20 years - mostly short sections that were washed out, or onto lands that were bought by NPS to protect the footpath. Sometimes the old trails show up on other maps, sometimes not.

WILLIAM HAYES
09-16-2007, 11:51
I got turned around going southbound in Grayson Highland right after going through fatman"s Squeeze in a whiteout. I think Southbound in someplaces is not marked as consistently.
Hilbilly

Toolshed
09-16-2007, 14:26
Yeah, there was a relo done in that area some years back to avoid a washed-out gully.
LOL. Yes that is exactly what that old road was - a washed-out gully about 2-3 feet below grade (except for the large rocks that didn't wash away) as I hiked along it.
:D

shelterbuilder
09-16-2007, 18:37
LOL. Yes that is exactly what that old road was - a washed-out gully about 2-3 feet below grade (except for the large rocks that didn't wash away) as I hiked along it.
:D

I'm planning my first overnight trip since my cancer surgery in May, and after reading and posting to this thread, I think I'm going to go from Rt. 501 to Rt. 183 and back next weekend. It should be a good test of my stamina without being overkill. I haven't been up here in a long time, so it'll be fun. But I think I'll stay away from the old washed-out section!:D

Kerosene
09-16-2007, 18:40
I think Southbound in someplaces is not marked as consistently.Most definitely.

Jim Adams
09-16-2007, 18:48
and he did get lost...
true...very true! BUT his dog COULDN'T READ!:D

Seriously, the trail teaches you what to look for. I never had a problem finding blazes every couple of hundred yards at the most. If you get truely "lost" on the AT after your first week on a thru hike...go home! You don't belong there.:confused:

geek

modiyooch
09-16-2007, 19:03
true...very true! BUT his dog COULDN'T READ!:D

Seriously, the trail teaches you what to look for. I never had a problem finding blazes every couple of hundred yards at the most. If you get truely "lost" on the AT after your first week on a thru hike...go home! You don't belong there.:confused:

geek 27 years later; I am still here. Haven't been lost since.

Kirby
09-16-2007, 20:46
When I section hiked the 100 mile wilderness this summer there was a few times where I needed to stop and confirm I was on the trail, there were also a couple of times where I retraced my steps to the last white blaze I saw to confirm I am actually on the trail. There were some sections in the 100 mile wilderness that were poorly blazed. When the trail is poorly blazed, and the trail is not obvious, it is easy to get misplaced from the trail. You just need to be on alert at all times and do not just assume the trail is a well defined path, because there are sections I have been on that have been quite tricky. If you are concerned about getting lost or loosing the trail, go blaze to blaze and you will be fine, unless you are above tree line in which case you would go cairn to cairn.

Kirby

Cosmo Rules
09-17-2007, 16:34
White blazes painted on rocks don't help when there's snow on the ground.
K-N and I wandered around Mt. Evert (MA) during last Springs nor easter.

Appalachian Tater
09-17-2007, 16:40
Everyone has probably been side-tracked if not truly lost at one time or another. There are sections sorely lacking in blazes with umarked changes in direction and then there is always the danger of be-bopping along oblivous and ignoring the lack of blazes. There are the rocky sections where you really have to look for the blazes and if the sun is in your eyes, oh well.

Waterbuffalo
09-20-2007, 20:32
I got lost trying to find the Siler bald shelterin NC going NB last Feb. The trail forked 5 ways and I couldn't find a blaze to save my life. about 1/2 an hour later and 4 wrong trys I found a blaze. A sign used to be posted there I found out but for some reason it was used as firewood before I got there.

THEmapMAKER
09-20-2007, 22:01
I just hiked the GA section of the AT 2 weeks ago. I came across a fork in the trail and the white blaze was in the middle of the fork.

Press
09-20-2007, 23:09
Coming down from Dragon's Tooth headed north in Central Va. this summer I missed a sharp turn or something and went straight down the mountain over the rocks. Trail wasn't marked very well. I was in the woods, found power line, used compass at last minute and avoided wrong turn, and ended up in backyard of farmer who pointed me toward road and 1 m. walk back to trail, where an angel was handing out cold drinks.

Tin Man
09-24-2007, 13:45
While the scout motto is to "be prepared", I think they might want to change it from "be prepared in case you get lost" to "be prepared not to get lost". It will be interesting to see how the local council/national organization responds to this incident.

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 14:01
While the scout motto is to "be prepared", I think they might want to change it from "be prepared in case you get lost" to "be prepared not to get lost". It will be interesting to see how the local council/national organization responds to this incident.

It's both.

And the leaders, if it was handled as indicated, will be commended for helping Scouts learn what to do in the inevitable cases of being lost.

TW

Tin Man
09-24-2007, 14:27
It's both.

And the leaders, if it was handled as indicated, will be commended for helping Scouts learn what to do in the inevitable cases of being lost.

TW

I agree that being prepared is both. However, it will be interesting to see the official scout response so that being lost is not so "inevitable". Hopefully, any measures taken will not make it harder to take scouts into the woods.

Lyle
09-24-2007, 16:51
Have lost the trail a couple of times when not paying attention. Just a matter of either backtracking or deciding to find my own route for a short distance. (I'm not a white blaze fanatic) Have never been anywhere close to what I would describe as "lost" while hiking the AT.

I have been "a might confused for a couple of days" in other areas. Never been terribly concerned about this, have always been properly equiped, so it just added to the sense of adventure.

earlyriser26
09-25-2007, 06:09
I've been lost a few times, but the only real bad time was when I was coming out of the Presidentials and went the wrong way at the Osgood tent site. By the time I had figured out that I had made a mistake I was a couple of miles down hill and it was getting dark. After following the river for about 5 miles I finally found a bridge to cross and hitched back to the trail. Not fun, but for a while I thought I would have to go all the way to Gorham to cross that stupid river.

JoeHiker
09-25-2007, 14:27
Well it's not the AT but I got lost on the northern section of the Long Trail a couple of years back. I was in the Breadloaf Wilderness area, heading south. A tree had fallen over the trail at the exact spot that it split -- a small side trail went about half a mile to the right and ended on an outcropping. The main trail went to the left but you could not see it due to the tree.

I must have searched all over that outcropping looking for where the trail went down, thinking I was still on the trail. Nothing.

So I started heading back. Now the unfortunate thing about the Breadloaf Wilderness section is that is is barely white blazed at all. I had to go back two full miles until I found a blaze. Then I walked back, watching very carefully for the turn I had missed, never seeing it. Still went right by the tree because it completely blocked the view. Went back again and followed it a third time. This time, when I came to the fallen tree, I pushed through it on a hunch and there the trail was.

Lost several hours this way. Of all the places for a tree to fall.