PDA

View Full Version : Weather in October and November through VA and NC.

Earl Grey
09-15-2007, 22:21
What kind of clothes would you bring if you were going south this fall from Harpers Ferry? I looked at the averages for Damascus and Gatlinburg and the average lows were in the high 30s. I have a 40 degree bag and while im up in Maine in August it got to around 40 a couple times and I was fine. For clothes im thinking 2 pairs of shorts, runners tights to sleep in and maybe some thick capilene. Probably throw in rain jacket and pants.

The Solemates
09-15-2007, 22:41
that set up sounds like it will work okay. you may want to take something to cut the wind as well, and definitely include a hat and gloves.

Jerm
09-15-2007, 23:01
hey man, if things don't cool down and we have a warm fall that sounds all right. but i have been in the grayson highlands, which are about 40 miles north of damascus, in the middle of october and it was in the teens. you got to consider that the towns the lows are coming from are at a much lower elevation. here is a link to weather in the smokys. i could not find history, but check out the difference in low temps b/w 1600' and 6400' http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=RTPMRX

it will probably get cooler and you will have below freezin nights. i would add some sort of light insulation, especially if you plan on sticking with the 40 degree bag, you could wear it to sleep to complement your bag. i carry a montbell thermawrap jacket.

i would ditch the pants, the running tights under your shorts would be your long pants, however i do like the idea of some wind pants. i usually wear shorts to around the low 30's, then i carry a pair of capilene long johns and a pair of golite reed pants to block the wind around camp.

as well as a little fleece hat and some fleece glove liners.

orangebug
09-16-2007, 07:21
Three years ago I had freezing rain and snow south of Damascus for Thanksgiving. The Carolina Balds are famous for cold and fog. You prepare for the worst and enjoy the best, in my experience. At the worst, you will resupply in Damascus.

Lyle
09-16-2007, 09:53
One of the worst blizzards I've been out in was in Nov. in Shenendoah. Trip started sunny/warm, no shirt weather, ended with rain, freezing rain, sleet, snow. Skyline drive was closed for several days due to 12-15 foot drifts. Ice-laden trees falling all around. BEAUTIFUL hike out eventually once the sun came out - trees covered in ice, sparkling like millions of tiny lights.

In other words, be ready to survive anything. Probably wouldn't expect to be comfortable during a freak storm like this, but be able to survive it.

ed bell
09-16-2007, 10:03
I think a 40deg bag is not enough if you are planning to be out for the entire 2 months. The likelyhood of you experiencing winter conditions during that period is probably pretty high. Would you make it? Yeah. Would it be comfortable? I doubt it. I'm thinking "miserable" at times would be accurate.

modiyooch
09-16-2007, 10:17
yep, my first attempt at a thru hike ended in Oct in VA due to the weather, and I had ALL the clothing gear (hat, gloves, goose down vest, winter coat). Interesting enough, in the mornings, I would have every stitch of clothing on and by the first ascent, I would be down to the T shirt, that is, until I stopped for a rest.

modiyooch
09-16-2007, 10:20
I looked at the averages for Damascus and Gatlinburg and the average lows were in the high 30s. averages for these towns DO NOT reflect weather 4000 to 6000 + feet. Would you judge the temperature/weather of Banner Elk/Boone by Charlotte's temps?? Also, definately throw in the pants and rain gear.

modiyooch
09-16-2007, 10:29
and another thing, this reminds me of my Aug 18/19th visit it MT Washington. I'm standing in snow, icy rocks, and freezing winds; and the tourist pay $20 to drive to the top. Because it is 60 degrees in the valley; they arrive in shorts and have to immediately turn back to their cars. That being said, you do have even higher summits in NC.

fehchet
09-16-2007, 10:57
Below is a list of the cloths I'll have on board when I begin hiking south from Harpers Ferry on October 11. I'll have a 20 degree down bag, silk liner, and insulated pad. Should be enough, I believe, without over kill.
It's your 40 degree bag I'd change out.

2 pair Wright liners – yellow top
2 pair thick Dafeet socks -- yellow
1 pair Smartwool socks for in camp
3 pair silk undies – yellow, purple, and green
1 button down Wintersilk hiking shirt – subdued yellow
1 pair silk/wool blend leggings for under shorts if needed --gray
1 pair wool leggings for in camp -- black
1 Smartwool long sleeve shirt for in camp -- black
1 fleece hoody -- black
1 wool sweater -- grey
1 wool beanie hat -- grey
1 pair Maura/New Zealand silk gloves -- black
1 pair Campmor fleece gloves -- black
1 Alligator Ambles baseball hat – off white
1 North Face nylon hiking shorts – light brown
1 rain jacket -- yellow
1 rain pants – full zip – black

ed bell
09-16-2007, 11:06
It's your 40 degree bag I'd change out.

That was my main concern as well. I was not trying to say you might be miserable in spite of the sleeping bag.:sun

Daddy Longlegs
09-16-2007, 13:11
A better temp bag is what I think too but if you do not have the $ for a new one then get a silk liner. I use one with my 30 deg bag when it is going to be in the 20's with out any problems.

Earl Grey
09-16-2007, 14:38
Thanks for all the replies.
I do have a Marmot Sawtooth which is a 15 degree bag but it does weigh 2 more lbs than the montbell. I may switch it out in Damascus or something before going into the really high country. Its also bulkier.