PDA

View Full Version : Bad taste in my water filter

ErickP
09-16-2007, 12:36
I recently bought a Katadyn hiker filter, and all the water I pump thru it tastes really bad. I pumped several gallons through to clean it out, as well as some water with bleach in it. The taste got better, but not good. Does it just take a while to get the "new" taste out of it, or is there something else I should do to it?

Erick

MikeG
09-16-2007, 13:24
im not sure the bleach was a good idea.

ErickP
09-16-2007, 13:30
im not sure the bleach was a good idea.
No, they say before storing it you should run some water with bleach through it.

Appalachian Tater
09-16-2007, 13:36
The first gallon or two you pump through it should have a charcoal-tinge but no strange flavor. Are you sure that what you're tasting is not *nothing* instead of whatever your water usually tastes like? If it really has a flavor and someone else confirms that for you, take it back or return it to the manufacturer.

Also, I always bleach my filter and water storage and tubes at least weekly when in use. Just flush it all out good afterwards.

ErickP
09-16-2007, 18:32
Yeah, it still tastes kind of like charcol, but mostly like really bad tasting rubber or plastic. I got it online from REI. I guess I'll give them a call. Thanks for the help

MikeG
09-16-2007, 18:37
oh ok my bad. i really wasnt sure. it just didnt sound like bleach would be good on the internals. im going to start running some through as well for storage.

whitefoot_hp
09-16-2007, 19:00
Yeah, it still tastes kind of like charcol, but mostly like really bad tasting rubber or plastic. I got it online from REI. I guess I'll give them a call. Thanks for the help

sounds like the tubing is what gives the bad taste. i havent experienced that with my KH, but i have with a walmart hydro-bladder.

Appalachian Tater
09-16-2007, 19:08
sounds like the tubing is what gives the bad taste. i havent experienced that with my KH, but i have with a walmart hydro-bladder.

That sounds like another possiblity. Bleach that, too, and wash it with detergent to remove any oily residue from the manufacturing process.

ErickP
09-16-2007, 19:11
Sounds good. Ill give it a try

karo
09-16-2007, 19:27
Also store the filter and unit seperate between uses. You can never get all the water out and it will mildew. I just learned to keep them apart till ready to use.

ErickP
09-16-2007, 19:35
I just tried drinking water strait through the tubes and it tastes just fine. I guess it is the filter. Any other ideas for cleaning it out, or should I just ask for a replacement?

Skidsteer
09-16-2007, 19:39
I just tried drinking water strait through the tubes and it tastes just fine. I guess it is the filter. Any other ideas for cleaning it out, or should I just ask for a replacement?

Medium bleach solution for an hour or two, rinse with or pump through hot water followed by cold water. Then take the filter element out and air dry it for a couple days.

Appalachian Tater
09-16-2007, 21:49

If you've flushed it and bleached it and flushed it, replace it. The water should be really fresh and clean tasting. That, plus not having to wait, are the main advantages to a filter. Defective or contaminated filters must occur occasionally, but I still think there's something we're missing.

Definitely you have it put together correctly with the filter tightened in and you don't have the in and out hoses mixed up? Double check with the instruction book.

Is there any strange odor?

Try taking a glass of tapwater and leaving the filter element in it overnight to see if it "flavors" the water.

Just a Hiker
09-16-2007, 21:53
Add some koolaide!!!

ErickP
09-16-2007, 22:17
If you've flushed it and bleached it and flushed it, replace it. The water should be really fresh and clean tasting. That, plus not having to wait, are the main advantages to a filter. Defective or contaminated filters must occur occasionally, but I still think there's something we're missing.

Definitely you have it put together correctly with the filter tightened in and you don't have the in and out hoses mixed up? Double check with the instruction book.

Is there any strange odor?

Try taking a glass of tapwater and leaving the filter element in it overnight to see if it "flavors" the water.

The filter smells the same way it tastes, although not as bad. Im calling REI tommorow

Appalachian Tater
09-16-2007, 23:13
The filter smells the same way it tastes, although not as bad. Im calling REI tommorow

Then it's obviously the filter and you should return it. REI shouldn't give you a hassle.

Be careful never to store it moist unless you're actually using it in the field or it could sour.