PDA

View Full Version : Back from Monson WB fest & Katahdin

TJ aka Teej
09-16-2007, 13:39
Great visit as always this time of year to Baxter. Met dozens of finishing thrus and their support crews (hi V-8!), saw a late season hummingbird, a huge bear, several pine martins, and many moose. Bumped into Ole Man and Navigator from the AT Lodge, Bluebearee the MATC Trailrunner, Rangers Bruce and Paul at Katahdin Stream, and even managed to fit in a canoe of Grassy Pond and a climb to the summit of the Owl, Katahdin's little brother. Bright blue skies, windy on top, cold cold starry nights full of shooting stars, and rainy to end with. All told a fun stay.
Drove across the Golden Road to Greenville where I chatted with service providers, and then down into Monson where I found the WBers setup behind the school with a roaring fire being fueled by the maul wielding Pony Whisperer. Met many WBers and scores of current hikers, the Ferryman brought up a van full of hikers, we laughed lots, we ate much, and I escaped for a bit to visit my local friends and service providers. Some of the locals didn't quite know what to make of the gypsy camp, some came by to visit and join in like Tim from Monson General, some wandered by to take pictures or just stare, and some like the kind folks at Shaws even leant freezer space for the feed. Monson's always had the finest kind of folks!
I'd like to name names, but I'm sure to forget too many, but as always it's the people that make such trips and gatherings joyful. To all, from Gov Baxter to Nitro and Ziplock to Linda and to Troll, who made this trip joyful: Thanks!