PDA

View Full Version : Section Hiking late December

rubyvermonter
09-16-2007, 13:47
I've been section hiking the AT for the past several years and have completed the trail from Caratunk, ME to the Delaware Water Gap. This summer I backpacked from central MA to the DWG, averaging 14 - 17 miles per day. I take time off from week in August and the last week-end in December. At this rate, I won't complete the trail until 2013. So I'm thinking about hiking in the south from about 12/23 to 12/30. I don't have a plan as of yet and no specific area I want to backpack. I don't know if it makes sense to go to the far south where the elevation in the moutains will result in colder temperatures. Living in Vermont, I know how variable the weather can be in the mountains. Although I've sometimes started with a hiking partner, I've done most of my section hiking alone. I would not backpack alone in the winter. Does anyone have any suggestions about an area to hike for about 8 days in the south. Is anyone interested in joining me?

Ruby Vermonter

Tennessee Viking
09-16-2007, 17:07
Come down to Tennessee or so, you can pick up some of the lowlands before the first good snowfall. You can also pick up Big Laurel and Pond Mtn wildernesses when bear activity is down.

But if you really want some fun, come down to Damascus during Trail Days. The Kincora/TEHCC Hardcore event is always a popular event.

rubyvermonter
09-18-2007, 12:26
Thanks for the reply, Ben. Next summer I plan to hike from the Delware Water Gap to Harper's Ferry. I've checked some of my materials and decided that in late December I'd like to hike south from Harper's Ferry for either about 90 to 116 miles, depending on the weather and conditions. I'd plan to start on Saturday, 12/22 and end on Sunday, 12/30. The elevation the first 60 or so miles is below 1900 feet and the next section is mostly below 3500, so I'm hoping the weather will be less harsh. I'm going to have to pass on coming down to Damascus for Trail Days.

rubyvermonter
09-30-2007, 17:29
Okay, folks, so I've narrowed down the hike plan some more. Trying to stay at lower elevations to avoid wintery weather, I think it would be best to hike from Pen Mar to SNP. Anyone interested?

rafe
09-30-2007, 19:00
Okay, folks, so I've narrowed down the hike plan some more. Trying to stay at lower elevations to avoid wintery weather, I think it would be best to hike from Pen Mar to SNP. Anyone interested?

FWIW, the ten miles south of Pen Mar include two 700' (or so) steep & rocky PUDs. I imagine they could be treacherous in certain winter conditions. Also: The hostel at Wolfesville Road (by the Ensign Cowall shelter) is beautiful. MD gets a lot easier south of Wolfesville Rd.