PDA

View Full Version : Water conditions on the southern AT

genetic claybuilding
09-16-2007, 14:54
Hello all. I'm planning an early October hike on the southern section of the trail, and am wondering what water conditions are like in northern Georgia though Tennessee. I know it's been very dry, but have many usually reliable water sources dried up?

Joey
09-16-2007, 15:05
Reports I have heard from the Smokies is NOT GOOD. Many water sources are almost dry or just a trickle right now. Hopefully we will get some rain prior to your trip.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-16-2007, 15:39
I heard yesterday at SEHHA meeting that it is totally dry from Shuckstack to Derrick Knob.

Skidsteer
09-16-2007, 16:03
Very dry in N.Ga. The rain on Friday didn't go very far.

Tennessee Viking
09-16-2007, 17:14
The tops of Roan & Unaka are near dry. You have to go down to the lowlands to find anything.

Was just at the orchard near Weedy Gap, it was low but flowing.

If you are on Roan, use the restrooms.

genetic claybuilding
10-17-2007, 14:38
I just read a news article saying that the Southeast is experiencing its worst drought in over 100 years. Atlanta's main water supply may dry up in 90 to 120 days.

Does anyone have any recent reports on the water conditions on the southern AT? I've heard that most sources are dry, and can't believe anyone is actually out there on the trail.

BTW I've decided to hike a section of the Long Trail in Vermont instead of the lower AT, for this reason.

deadhorsejoe
10-17-2007, 16:23
I just read a news article saying that the Southeast is experiencing its worst drought in over 100 years. Atlanta's main water supply may dry up in 90 to 120 days.

Does anyone have any recent reports on the water conditions on the southern AT? I've heard that most sources are dry, and can't believe anyone is actually out there on the trail.

BTW I've decided to hike a section of the Long Trail in Vermont instead of the lower AT, for this reason.

I posted a short report on the water supply this past weekend (Oct 11- 14) between Neels Gap and Amicalola Fall SP in the Trail News and Update section of this website.

Brushy Sage
10-18-2007, 08:46
Important article in Asheville paper:

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200771017115

horicon
10-18-2007, 15:34
If it does not rain soon, we may need snopw to breat the drout.

Wonder
10-18-2007, 17:29
There was a report on the news last night that Atlanta only has 90 days of water left! I know here in Damascus, I was over joyed by the half hour rain we had today........it's sooooooo dry here. I dropped a hiker up trail in the morning, and we were sure to stop and cashe water for him. CAMEL UP PEOPLE!!!!

Tennessee Viking
10-18-2007, 22:47
I just sectioned Bitter End to Bear Branch.

And it was dry. Upper Laurel Fork was still flowing.

Mountaineer Falls barely had a trickle. Water gathering can only be down below the rockface, past the shelter.

Sugar Hollow was barely flowing.

Jones Falls was flowing but nothing too big. You really had to reach across the rocks to reach in pools of water.

Most of the trees through there would crack easy when pushed. Lots of small but annoying crawl under leaners and a few large blowdowns in between Campbell Hollow and Mountaineer Falls, especially around Elk River.