PDA

View Full Version : Lakes of the Clouds Trivia

Minerva
09-16-2007, 17:16
A question for those of you who really know White Mountain trivia.

What are the names of the two Lakes of the Clouds?

I assume they have names, but can't find this info anywhere.

Thanks
MrsGorp

Roland
09-16-2007, 17:52
Interesting question, Mrs. Gorp.

I've never known the lakes to be named separately. They are so tiny, and so close together, I have always heard/read them referred collectively, as Lakes of the Clouds.

I checked my 1972 Guidebook. Neither the map, nor the narrative description provide individual names, although the hut is described as being near the "larger" lake.

Roland
09-16-2007, 17:54
TOF and Weary have a greater historical perspective than I. :D

They may be able to help.

modiyooch
09-16-2007, 17:54
what lakes? Barely saw my hand in front of my face.

Peaks
09-16-2007, 18:05
I've never seen or heard of anything other than "Lakes of the Clouds," also called "Lakes of the Crowds."

Jack Tarlin
09-16-2007, 18:07
I can remember seeing my Dad's old maps of the area, which dated from the thirties or forties. I can't recall EVER seeing the Lakes named on a map.

Maybe O.F. would know, or maybe Weary.

Good question, tho!

The Old Fhart
09-16-2007, 18:31
Good question! The only reference I've found mentioning their names is that the larger lake is called the Lower Lake and the smaller lake is called the Upper Lake. Not very original, I'll be the first to admit. I'll keep looking to see if I can find anything else but don't hold your breath!

The Lower Lake, on the left heading north, has a rock that sticks up that looks like a shark fin. I know there's no fish in the lakes because they freeze solid every winter. The Upper Lake, on the right heading north, is somewhat sheltered by a rocky bank on the south side, generally has a large snow drift on that side, and is the last lake to thaw out.

The hut croo, when they aren't stealing squirrels;), have been known to have a lobster trap in the lake to confuse the 'goofers'.

Kerosene
09-16-2007, 18:37
Here's my favorite picture of the Upper Lake (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13128) on a dead calm day. This photo makes great wallpaper for my PC!

Appalachian Tater
09-16-2007, 19:29
Apparently they have just had the collective name for a while. There's a really neat book from 1917 about the Whites online:

http://www.kellscraft.com/WhiteMountainTrails/WhiteMountainTrailsContentPage.html

There's a nice chapter on the Lakes of the Clouds:

http://www.kellscraft.com/WhiteMountainTrails/WhiteMountainTrailsCh12.html

Lone Wolf
09-16-2007, 19:50
A question for those of you who really know White Mountain trivia.

What are the names of the two Lakes of the Clouds?

I assume they have names, but can't find this info anywhere.

Thanks
MrsGorp

Lakes of the Crowds? Them ain't lakes. Coupla cesspoools maybe.

The Old Fhart
09-16-2007, 20:08
Lone Wolf-"Lakes of the Crowds? Them ain't lakes. Coupla cesspoools maybe."No way! The lakes are spring fed. They also make sure you don't 'go' in them.:D

Minerva
09-16-2007, 22:11
Thanks for checking! The only references I could find were from the early 1800's: Blue Pond and Washington's Punch Bowl.

Last year while walking on Crawford Path to the summit I got stuck behind a group of DOC kids portaging an aluminum canoe to the summit of Mt. Washington. They'd just finished paddling on one of the lakes. It was some sort of pilgrimage...crazy kids....check this out:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=170566

MrsGorp

The Old Fhart
09-16-2007, 23:01
Appalachian Tater, I have a copy of the "WHITE MOUNTAIN TRAILS" (1917) but unfortunately, that book only says "Lakes Of The Clouds", and doesn't name them individually.

Lucy Crawford's "History Of The White Mountains" (reprint of 1845 edition), references F. Allen Burt's "The Story Of Mount Washington" as saying: "Blue Pond is the Lakes of the Clouds. It was also later known as Washington's Punch Bowl." Apparently they never named the lakes separately either.

The reference where I got the separate names of Lower and Upper Lake is "High Huts Of The White Mountains", W.E. Reifsnyder (1979)