PDA

View Full Version : Southbound 100 mile wilderness: how many people in late September?

dessertrat
09-17-2007, 15:47
I guess the title says it all: I'll be going southbound from Abol Bridge to Monson starting either this Friday or Saturday. How many people am I likely to encounter?

Jack Tarlin
09-17-2007, 15:49
Lots and lots! And most of them will be heading North. Make sure you have a good shelter of some sort (tent, tarp, etc.)in case you come to a Trail shelter that's full. In any case, you'll have some great company, but most of it will be heading in the oposite direction.

Have a great trip and don't miss Antler's Campsite, one of the prettiest places to overnight on the whole Trail.

dessertrat
09-17-2007, 15:53
Thanks. I always bring a tent, especially since I expect it will be pretty cool in the evening-- a chance of below freezing, I'm thinking, though more likely 40's? (I grew up in Maine, but I've been away so long, I start to forget. . . )

Jack Tarlin
09-17-2007, 16:01
You're probably right, tho it could get colder higher up. Just bring along some extra clothes and make sure you always keep something warm and dry to change into at day's end, and you'll be fine.

Shutterbug
09-17-2007, 16:08
I guess the title says it all: I'll be going southbound from Abol Bridge to Monson starting either this Friday or Saturday. How many people am I likely to encounter?

I have hiked in the 100 Mile Wilderness about this time in each of the past 4 years. It is a great time to hike.

As Jack said, you won't be lonely. There will be a lot of north bounders.

Year before last, it rained for four days straight but that is unusual. The nights are chilly, but the days warm up nicely. In my opinion it is the best time to hike in Maine. There are very few bugs, the leaves are beautiful, the river crossings are low and the hiking is great. Have fun.

The Old Fhart
09-17-2007, 16:18
I remember staying at the East Branch lean-to (which isn't high up-1240') at the end of August on one of my trips through the 100-mile 'wilderness' and the temperature was just below freezing that night. There was a hiker from Florida that had a 40°F sleeping bag and he spent a sleepless night trying to stay warm.

If your sleeping bag is isn't too confining then a layer of fleece plus the few extra degrees you'll gain from sleeping in a tent should be just fine, just in case it is cold.

wakapak
09-17-2007, 16:45
I have to agree with Jack on Antler's Campsite..definitely the most memorable campsite for me on the whole trail, it's beautiful there!

Enjoy your time thru it!

Bluehaus71
09-19-2007, 05:17
I remember one campsite on the 100 Mile Wilderness where we took our rainfly and ponchos and enclosed a shelter when it was below freezing and windy. It was over a decade ago and I can't remember which shelter but it worked very well to keep us warm. Man that was a lot of fun!