PDA

View Full Version : Whats the weight of your winter setup?

Earl Grey
09-17-2007, 17:59
With 5 days of food how much does your pack weigh for temps 10F and above? I have mine around 35lbs without water right now and am looking at ways to cut off some pounds. The only thing I can think of is to get rid of the filter but would like to use it since its been so dry in the south. Would hate to get water out of a stagnant pool :eek:. Im even not taking a journal!

hopefulhiker
09-17-2007, 18:15
That sounds pretty good to me Blackmath.. I was up in Maine in Oct 05 with thirty lbs.. got pretty chilly a couple of nights though. Also i did not have a filter but it was flooding up there in ME that year...

SGT Rock
09-17-2007, 18:22
About 30 to 30.5 pounds depending on what food I wanted to bring along. FSO would go up to about 36.5 to 37 pounds.

Nightwalker
09-17-2007, 20:45
About 30 to 30.5 pounds depending on what food I wanted to bring along. FSO would go up to about 36.5 to 37 pounds.

About the same here. It takes a lot of work for the average slacker like me to get a winter setup to 30 lbs, but my body is grateful for it. :)

SGT Rock
09-17-2007, 20:49
I rekon we both would do OK. I decided a long time ago that despite my ability to carry a lot of weight, my brain was stronger than my back LOL.

Lone Wolf
09-17-2007, 20:51
I rekon we both would do OK. I decided a long time ago that despite my ability to carry a lot of weight, my brain was stronger than my back LOL.

well i carry 40+. my brain is Marine. although not a REAL Marine. Nick the rear admiral in the GREEK navy says so

SGT Rock
09-17-2007, 20:55
Damn. I don't even know how to respond to that LWolf.

Marine Brains - sounds like an oxymoron.

Nightwalker
09-17-2007, 20:57

Hopefully we can hike the BMT together sometime. I've enjoyed knowing you online, but a bottle across a campfire would be even better, eh? :)

Nightwalker
09-17-2007, 20:58
well i carry 40+. my brain is Marine. although not a REAL Marine. Nick the rear admiral in the GREEK navy says so

I thought that you had went lightweight on your LT hike. Was that just an experiment?

Lone Wolf
09-17-2007, 21:01
I thought that you had went lightweight on your LT hike. Was that just an experiment?

Just the pack was considered liteweight. no experiment. i'm still a backpacker

Nightwalker
09-17-2007, 23:57
Just the pack was considered liteweight. no experiment. i'm still a backpacker

I thought that I remembered you saying that you had your weight down to around 30 pounds. My bad.

Lone Wolf
09-17-2007, 23:58
I thought that I remembered you saying that you had your weight down to around 30 pounds. My bad.

summertime weight. this is a wintertime thread

SGT Rock
09-17-2007, 23:59
Don't let him lie to you. He was trimming the margins off his crossword puzzles to save weight.

Gray Blazer
09-18-2007, 07:46
With 5 days of food how much does your pack weigh for temps 10F and above? I have mine around 35lbs without water right now and am looking at ways to cut off some pounds. The only thing I can think of is to get rid of the filter but would like to use it since its been so dry in the south. Would hate to get water out of a stagnant pool :eek:. Im even not taking a journal!

Don't get rid of the filter. I did that one time and I was kicking myself when I had to get water out of a nasty looking stream.

SGT Rock
09-18-2007, 07:48
Naw, get rid of the filter and use your bandanna. Treat with kool-aid.

Gray Blazer
09-18-2007, 07:50
Listen to him and you'll end up drinking your own urine.:D

SGT Rock
09-18-2007, 07:53
No - yuck. What you do is get a plastic cup and a sheet of plastic. I like a gatoraide container and a 1 to 2 gallon zip lock. So you dig a hole big enough for the container to fit in and be down in it a little and then pee around the outside on the ground (do this before you stick the container in the ground) then cover with the big zip lock and hold it in place on the edges with rocks. Then put a pebble in the center of the bag on op so that it creates a downhill for the evaporated water from the urine to follow and drip down into your gatoraide container.

Here is the good part. Once you do all that, wait for another hiker to come along and trade water with them.

Gray Blazer
09-18-2007, 07:57
Thanks, you made my day.:sun

JAK
09-18-2007, 08:28
No - yuck. What you do is get a plastic cup and a sheet of plastic. I like a gatoraide container and a 1 to 2 gallon zip lock. So you dig a hole big enough for the container to fit in and be down in it a little and then pee around the outside on the ground (do this before you stick the container in the ground) then cover with the big zip lock and hold it in place on the edges with rocks. Then put a pebble in the center of the bag on op so that it creates a downhill for the evaporated water from the urine to follow and drip down into your gatoraide container.

Here is the good part. Once you do all that, wait for another hiker to come along and trade water with them.You know that even if you do all that, because of the laws of physics and statistics and all that, at least one of the water molecules from your own urine will still find its way back into your own drinking water, and of course a few from the other hikers urine also. :)

JAK
09-18-2007, 08:34
About 30 pounds, with half of that being food, as the 5 days could turn into 7 or more, but my full skin out would be more like 40 pounds. On ski trips I pack a lot lighter than that, but only go 2-3 days, with multiple exit points.

JAK
09-18-2007, 09:22
Hopefully we will get lots of snow this year. ???

Panzer1
09-18-2007, 11:11

Here is the good part. Once you do all that, wait for another hiker to come along and trade water with them.

I saw that on "Survivorman". He did that when he was in the desert in Africa. He was only able to hold out for 2 days using that method. But he was supposed to last 7 days.

Panzer

Gray Blazer
09-18-2007, 13:58
I don't think that will work very well on the AT in the winter. Bring your filter/water treatment/whatever.

humunuku
09-18-2007, 17:22
Im even not taking a journal!

You'll regret that sometime in the future...a few extra ounces won't kill ya....and memories do fade away.

The Solemates
09-18-2007, 17:30
starting our thru, when we expected temps below 0F on occasion, my pack was about 30 pounds with 5 days of food/water. my wife's was about 25 pounds. we did have the advantage of sharing some things like kitchen and tent.

The Solemates
09-18-2007, 17:31
starting our thru, when we expected temps below 0F on occasion, my pack was about 30 pounds with 5 days of food/water. my wife's was about 25 pounds. we did have the advantage of sharing some things like kitchen and tent.

this weight included 3 books (bible, journal, guidebook) and a water filter.

ofelas
09-20-2007, 00:18
About 35lbs for a week including tent, food, fuel, snowshoes, hatchet, small field glasses and a recurve.

LostInSpace
09-20-2007, 00:32
It might be more informative to understand what additions everyone carries in the winter that they don't carry in the summer and the incremental weight increase.

Jim Adams
09-20-2007, 02:08
3 pounds more than summer. 1 more pound of sleeping bag and mat and 2 more pounds of whiskey.

geek