PDA

View Full Version : 'Georgia Loop' Hike...

whitefoot_hp
09-17-2007, 18:32
I was wondering how this hike involving the DRT, BMT, and AT is completed.
Where do you start and where do you go?

Dances with Mice
09-17-2007, 19:37
Where do you start and where do you go?I've done this hike a handful of times.

It's not that complicated. It's a loop! You start anyplace, walk for a week and come back to the same place. A better question might be: 'Where are good places to start?' Starting south and going counter-clockwise, the major road crossings are:

Amicalola State Park - Not really part of the Loop, it makes the trek a "lollipop" hike. But a great place to park with a nominal fee for a secured and guarded parking area in the middle of a State Park. I parked here when walking the Loop one year.

Springer Mtn Parking Area - No fee. Hiker traffic mostly, not a bad choice. It's where I parked this year.

Woody Gap - No fee but unsecured parking in a roadside park beside a well-traveled highway. I wouldn't choose to leave my vehicle there for a week.

Hiker Hostel - Not on the Loop at all, but they'll shuttle you just anywhere and your vehicle will be absolutely safe. Woody Gap is perhaps their easiest drop-off point. They'll also shuttle to Springer.

Winfield Scott State Park - again, not really part of the Loop but just a short trek off. Contact the ranger or campsite host before you leave your vehicle and tell him your intentions and when you will return. I've also parked here for a Loop week. It also may be the most expensive option, a full day-use fee for each day the vehicle is parked is required.

Blood Mtn parking area - It used to be a pay site but it may be free now, I forget. Lots of traffic but hidden from the main road. I used it for parking one time and worried about my van the entire walk. Nothing happened, but it was a bit of stress I didn't need.

Goose Creek Cabins - Very close to Blood Mtn, very safe, negotiate a price with the owner of the Cabins. I paid $20 / week. I just left my van and keys with the owner and didn't think about my van again until I got back. He'll shuttle you to Neels Gap for free, to Wolf Pen Gap on the DRT for a small fee. I'd choose GCC over the Blood Mtn parking area.

Vogel State Park - day use fee required for each day, just like Winfield Scott. It's further off the Trails than Winfield Scott.

Wolf Pen Gap - just a pull-out on the shoulder of an isolated road. I'm just mentioning it for completeness. I mean, you could park there. I wouldn't.

There are a couple of FS road crossings along the DRT. I wouldn't consider them.

The BMT / GA-60 intersection: This is another roadside pull-in area where I'd be uncomfortable leaving a vehicle for a week. But with a quarter mile east are two places I'd check: There's a family farm selling rustic outdoor furniture and an unapologetic pure redneck store "Martin's Dixie Depot". I haven't tried parking at either but I bet a deal could be negotiated at one of those two places.

And from there you'd hike back to either Springer or Amicalola.

You can resupply at Neels and the Dixie Depot. Hiking into the Dixie Depot to resupply is an experience you won't want to miss. Giving credit when it's due, the Dixie Depot does sell a mean BBQ sandwich basket.

Dances with Mice
09-17-2007, 19:55
Where do you start and where do you go?I answered the "where do you start" portion ... this might answer more questions. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8770) See post #6.

orangebug
09-17-2007, 22:06
DWM, that little guide to the Georgia loop is great. I am debating either it or the SC Foothills trail for after Thanksgiving. Hearing that there is resupply options is making the Georgia Loop even more inviting.

Natchez
09-18-2007, 00:19
What is this loop? any info?

Every Blessing
Alan

derek
09-18-2007, 01:44
foothills trail is a great hike. plenty of water except for one area. and great views of waterfalls and rivers. i am planning on doing the georgia loop once it gets a little cooler.

derek
09-18-2007, 01:50
georgia loop is, of course, a loop so it can start from any number of places as mentioned earlier, but choosing springer, GA as a starting location, it runs north along the bartram trail, then east across the duncan ridge trail, and then south back along the AT to form a 55 mile loop. i've heard various things about the loop as in its tough, limited water, overgrown, isolated, but not having ever hiked it cannot comment on them.

orangebug
09-18-2007, 07:52
Not Bartram Trail, but Benton MacKaye Trail just past 3 Forks, northwest to the Duncan Ridge Trail, Southeast toward Slaughter Gap and back along the AT to complete the loop.

Dances with Mice
09-18-2007, 08:32
If anyone's planning to hike the Loop, pay attention to the last post in this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8770) dated April 1st 2007. It's no joke. This Spring there was a significant portion of trail damaged by wild hogs. The rooted section was sidehill trail across steep slopes, which made walking the trail a tightrope act.

So if you find the DRT between White Oak Stamp and Bryant Gap too soft to safely walk, don't fight it. Hop off the Trail and take the gravel FS road that parallels the Trail. It might be worthwhile to do a quick scouting trip of that section. It's easily accessed from the all-weather FS road at Wolf Pen Gap.

whitefoot_hp
09-18-2007, 08:57
DWM, that little guide to the Georgia loop is great. I am debating either it or the SC Foothills trail for after Thanksgiving. Hearing that there is resupply options is making the Georgia Loop even more inviting.

The FHT would be great at that time. Some friends and I did most of it in august, (hot) but the frequent streams and rivers were a life saver.

I am looking forward to this GA loop.

whitefoot_hp
09-18-2007, 09:48
Ok DWM, your guide and info is awesome, but i am trying to figure out the distance from the DRT Blood mt. terminus to springer mt., and becuase the DRT and BMT share the trail for a bit, i cant figure it out.

Dances with Mice
09-18-2007, 10:23
Ok DWM, your guide and info is awesome, but i am trying to figure out the distance from the DRT Blood mt. terminus to springer mt., and becuase the DRT and BMT share the trail for a bit, i cant figure it out.I'm going to round off here a bit:

It's about 2.5 miles from Slaughter (Blood Mtn) to Wolf Pen Gap.

About 9 from Wolf Pen Gap to Mulky Gap.

About 7 from Mulky Gap to Rhodes Mtn, where the DRT and BMT combine.

Then it's about 25 miles from there to Springer if you choose the BMT option rather than the AT route.

So about 43'ish miles from Slaughter to Springer on the combined trails.

Phreak
09-18-2007, 11:25
DWM, thanks for the info!

I'm hiking the DRT/AT loop from Sept 27-30, then heading over to start the Foothills Trail on Oct 1.

I'll post an update on both trails once I'm finished.

Dances with Mice
09-18-2007, 12:08
I'm hiking the DRT/AT loop from Sept 27-30, then heading over to start the Foothills Trail on Oct 1.
I'll post an update on both trails once I'm finished.Too cool! If y'all don't mind, review my little guide or take it with you and make notes along the way. I'd like to make needed corrections and changes.

Skidsteer
09-18-2007, 18:02

I'll post an update on both trails once I'm finished.

Too cool! If y'all don't mind, review my little guide or take it with you and make notes along the way. I'd like to make needed corrections and changes.

FWIW, The small part of the DRT that Two Speed and I hiked last weekend was due for some maintenance. Not impassable, just prickly.

The Solemates
09-18-2007, 18:19
so the whole loop is just 43 miles?

Skidsteer
09-18-2007, 18:51

I thought it was closer to 55 miles but I don't have my book available so I may be misremembering.

Phreak
09-18-2007, 19:48

It's roughly 55 miles for the DRT/AT loop. It'll be closer to 57-58 miles for me since I'll be starting at Neels Gap.

whitefoot_hp
09-19-2007, 17:19
sorry for confusion. the distance DWM was telling me about was from DRT to Springer, which isnt the loop, just part of it (trying to fit it to a weekend)