PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia

The Weasel
09-17-2007, 18:47
Just thinking at random, I read the Wikipedia listing on the AT, and was surprised at its relative brevity. Then I clicked the "Appalachian Trail by State" link (in the "Navigation" part) and was amazed at how incomplete it is.

Those with too much time on their hands might want to edit/add to these entries.

A link to WB might a nice, as well.

The Weasel

The Weasel
09-17-2007, 18:49
Ahh...re-read it and saw the WB link.

The Weasel

Tin Man
09-17-2007, 18:56
I just did a wikipedia search for "whiteblaze" and came up with two hits: 1) Hammock camping; and 2) Appalachian Trail. It is interesting to note that a link to Rock's Hiking HQ site appears before the whiteblaze link under Hammock camping. Whiteblaze and other useful sites do appear at the bottom of the Appalachian Trail entry.

Tin Man
09-17-2007, 18:58
Weasel, I guess our posts overlapped and we found the same links.

Skidsteer
09-17-2007, 19:02
Ahh...re-read it and saw the WB link.

The Weasel

Some frequent WB contributors (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=208491&highlight=wikipedia#post208491)are also active on Wikipedia.

The Weasel
09-17-2007, 19:31
Some frequent WB contributors (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=208491&highlight=wikipedia#post208491)are also active on Wikipedia.

And more could be.

The Weasel

SGT Rock
09-17-2007, 19:32
How about contributing to Hikerbox too while you are at it ;)

Tennessee Viking
09-17-2007, 22:31
At first I thought people on Myspace had no life. I was wrong.

Its the people who write these Wikipedia articles.

Nightwalker
09-17-2007, 22:59
At first I thought people on Myspace had no life. I was wrong.

Its the people who write these Wikipedia articles.

They have a life: Wikipedia.

We all have different priorities, and some of them seem stupid to others. I like to do not much more than hike, make maps and read Whiteblaze. Well, and hang with my wife and teach little kids in Sunday school.

Not much of a life, but it beats nothing at all. :)

Appalachian Tater
09-17-2007, 23:02
There are lots of people who are occasional contributors. It is frequently a source of information that is difficult to find anywhere else.

ki0eh
09-18-2007, 07:52
And it shows up high in Google too.

Moon Monster
09-18-2007, 16:04
Early on in Wikipedia's history, I tried to edit the AT entry to correct a wrong conversion of miles to kilometers. The mileage was correct, but the km in parentheses next to it was way off. Someone followed behind me within one day and switched it back to the old/wrong value with no explanation.

That was the last time I altered Wikipedia.

On a related note, the human-powered search engine Mahalo.com does not yet have an entry on the AT. At one point, they were accepting entries on anything, but now they are just after the 20,000 top search terms, of which the AT is probably not one.