PDA

View Full Version : Camp, stealth camp IN Harpers Ferry?

Earl Grey
09-17-2007, 21:12
Ill be taking the train from Washington to HF but the problem is the train doesnt get there until 5:15 or so. The ATC office closes at 5 and I have to go there to get my picture taken and all that fun stuff. It would be great not to have to go too far so the next morning it would be easy to get to. The Comfort Inn is too expensive for me and while there is a hostel across the river on the MD side I hate to backtrack. When I walked through there in May there were some spots beside the Potomac but if theres anything closer that would be great.

Lyle
09-18-2007, 07:49
Hilltop House offers "Hiker Rooms" for about $40 if I remember right. Small, no TV, but otherwise convenient. Give em a call to be sure.

Newb
09-18-2007, 14:00
Stealthing in the park is a bad idea. The Hilltop house is your best bet...and, they'll open the bar for you for a beer or two if you're real nice about it.

emerald
09-18-2007, 14:20
Look in ALDHA's Online Companion or better yet call ATC to determine your best option. Surely ATC has fielded this question before and can provide you with a solution. Seems to me I heard mentioned at some point a place where tenting was permitted, but I may be mistaken or that may no longer be the case.

Whatever you do, don't create problems for yourself or others by camping where you have no business camping. Camping in Maryland is at designated sites only.

Lone Wolf
09-18-2007, 14:29
Ill be taking the train from Washington to HF but the problem is the train doesnt get there until 5:15 or so. The ATC office closes at 5 and I have to go there to get my picture taken and all that fun stuff. It would be great not to have to go too far so the next morning it would be easy to get to. The Comfort Inn is too expensive for me and while there is a hostel across the river on the MD side I hate to backtrack. When I walked through there in May there were some spots beside the Potomac but if theres anything closer that would be great.

heck, wait till well after dark and just lay out behind the ATC

emerald
09-18-2007, 14:39

Hey, Wolf! Just wondering, when did you get the authority to grant permission to do that?

Lone Wolf
09-18-2007, 14:40
Hey, Wolf! Just wondering, when did you get the authority to grant permission to do that?

dude. don't take everything so serious.

Earl Grey
09-18-2007, 14:54

I would be lying if I said this hadnt crossed my mind. Theres woods right back behind there :-?. It not worth getting arrested over though.

The Old Fhart
09-18-2007, 14:57
Isn't there a hostel about 1.5 miles north of Harpers Ferry near the lady doctor that advertises on the trail? You know the one I mean, Sandy Hook, MD.:D

Lone Wolf
09-18-2007, 14:59
Isn't there a hostel about 1.5 miles north of Harpers Ferry near the lady doctor that advertises on the trail? You know the one I mean, Sandy Hook, MD.:D

hey you're pretty funny. you oughta go on stage. it leaves in 10 minutes :)

emerald
09-18-2007, 15:52
dude. don't take everything so serious.

I don't take your posts seriously, but someone else might.

I got a PM a few days ago. I can't remember who sent it. He was looking for a place to "stealth" in Damascus.

He wondered whether it would be OK to wait until you've gone to bed, camp in your yard and leave before you awakened, since what you wouldn't know wouldn't bother you. I told him you likely wouldn't mind since you don't take everything so serious.

Lone Wolf
09-18-2007, 16:26
I don't take your posts seriously, but someone else might.

I got a PM a few days ago. I can't remember who sent it. He was looking for a place to "stealth" in Damascus.

He wondered whether it would be OK to wait until you've gone to bed, camp in your yard and leave before you awakened, since what you wouldn't know wouldn't bother you. I told him you likely wouldn't mind since you don't take everything so serious.

nice try scooter:rolleyes:

hopefulhiker
09-18-2007, 16:31
In 05 I saw some people camping on islands in the middle of the river.

The Solemates
09-18-2007, 18:03
arrive late, leave early. that's my advice :)

ScottP
09-18-2007, 22:54
I walked about 1/4 of a mile north on the AT past town and camped (legally, as far as I can tell)

Lone Wolf
09-18-2007, 23:00
hey blackmath, i'll PM you with all the cool stealth spots in HF. wouldn't want shades of pink and his cohorts to actually do something they read on the internet.:D

JAK
09-18-2007, 23:03
Hey, if you just happen to fall down asleep, then wake up some time later, who can blame you? :)

But I generally avoid hiking in populated areas, so I will likely have to adapt.

Lone Wolf
09-18-2007, 23:06
Hey, if you just happen to fall down asleep, then wake up some time later, who can blame you? :)

But I generally avoid hiking in populated areas, so I will likely have to adapt.

who are you s hittin? you don't hike. you're a pack sniffer

Just a Hiker
09-18-2007, 23:07

Hey there blackmath,

you could camp south of town.....there is a nice flat spot across the bridge south of town. There is a little traffic noise, but it's okay.

Just Jim

emerald
09-20-2007, 06:19
nice try scooter:rolleyes:

Thanks, maybe someday, when I don't give a damn anymore -- although I don't expect that day anytime soon and it may never come -- I'll post all kinds of trash to litter A.T. websites too.

Lone Wolf
09-20-2007, 06:22
you need to lighten your silly butt up